List of things these forums need

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:48 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
When was this idea discussed and/or agreed upon? Why did you give yourself 5 green bars to start with? What do you think SkyeWelse will think when I e-mail him with regard to this blatant abuse of power?

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:00 AM
/end
Uh, I didn't give myself 5 bars. I am not an Admin and I can't do that.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:24 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
How is rep power determined, exactly? Something to do with your number of posts?

Noxid said:
According to the FAQ, your "Rep power" is calculated based upon a combination of the factors: time since join, # of posts, and current reputation score.

And with regard to the other posts directly above mine, it at the very least seems unfair that certain people got "pre-repped". If MS didn't do it, who did? And why do they have a grudge against DT..?

This system doesn't seem to be off to the best of starts what with the sudden "O ya btw guyz" appearance, and the adjustment of some people's points. I don't really care whether it stays or goes, but if we're going to have it it's gotta be on the level. I'm sure everybody would appreciate it if whomever did this stepped forward and explained the situation, at least I would.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:25 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Then who, pray tell, bumped it straight up to five boxes, in space where very few posts have been made? For that matter, why is "Rep Power" made to sound as though it conveys some definite indication of a user's status, when by its very nature it is a biased and imbalanced thing? And, yet again, why is my status and the status of others magically in the red, when I have not even posted since this was introduced?

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:29 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
List of things these forums don't need?

Yeah, and as I was trying to figure out how this system worked myself, I came across this from the vBulletin forum, and apparently the system usually ends up abused more often than anything.
Noxid said:
And why do they have a grudge against DT..?
I even tried giving DT some Rep since he started in the red, but someone just instantly bumped him back to three red boxes. {He was in green, too}
Already sounds like this is getting abused, right from the start...

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:34 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Clearly my reputation of over three years of helping out in the mods section and generally getting on well with everyone is meaningless in the face of this development. I guess everyone on this site must really hate me after all. Truly this envelops me in a deep state of sadness and depression. Oh no what will I do.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
MetaSeraphim said:
Uh, I didn't give myself 5 bars. I am not an Admin and I can't do that.
I'm not calling bullshit... >_>
(Largely because I would have no evidence to back it up...)
Still fishy, though...
Especially since you are limited to giving rep to a user once per day...
And you have 4xx points...
And there has not been enough users (to my knowledge) to have given you that in the time the system has been up...
Noxid said:
This system doesn't seem to be off to the best of starts what with the sudden "O ya btw guyz" appearance, and the adjustment of some people's points. I don't really care whether it stays or goes, but if we're going to have it it's gotta be on the level. I'm sure everybody would appreciate it if whomever did this stepped forward and explained the situation, at least I would.
Yeah, pretty much calls for an explaination.
I mean, if it's based off the factors Lowell listed, then logically andwhy, SkyWelse and SP would have the greatest rep from the start.
DoubleThink said:
Clearly my reputation of over three years of helping out in the mods section and generally getting on well with everyone is meaningless in the face of this development. I guess everyone on this site must really hate me after all. Truly this envelops me in a deep state of sadness and depression. Oh no what will I do.
Yeah, kinda the curse.
You be strict, you're a jerk.
You be leniant, you're always too much so.

JacobX891 said:
Don't look at me, I gave everyone except Lowell positive rep.

Rep power is calculated by postcount, repcount, and whether or not you're a mod/admin/have mod/admin abilites.

Also, sign the comment when you give someone rep, If you're positive rep'ing I want to know who you are, and if you're negative rep'ing it shows some backbone.
Eh, it should be pretty obvious when I do it.
The comment will be snarky and irreverant if it's good, and over-the-top sarcastic praise if it's bad...
Yutz.

ANYWAYS...
My vote is to just scrap the idea.
A rep system is better for larger (10,000 members+) forums, since the likelyhood of abuse is minimized by sheer numbers.
As such, I can only see four outcomes:

1.) Everyone does a full about face and decides to go with it in a positive manner that improves the forums. (3% chance)
2.) It continues to such a point where users engage in "Rep Wars". (57% chance)
3.) Everyone one gets pissed and ragequits the forums. (39% chance)
4.) The forums suddenly disappear for an unknown reason unrelated to the rep system. (1% chance)

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:52 PM
/end
DoubleThink said:
Then who, pray tell, bumped it straight up to five boxes, in space where very few posts have been made?

No idea, it normally tells who has repped and derepped you in the User CP, for some reason though it's not showing. If I had access to where you change the rep system I would try and make it show who repped and derepped.

And I've only repped three people since it's been turned on, I haven't derepped anyone.

DoubleThink said:
And, yet again, why is my status and the status of others magically in the red, when I have not even posted since this was introduced?

You don't need to make a new post to get repped or derepped, you can go to an older post and either rep or derep it.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:35 PM
graters gonna grate
DragonBoots said:
My vote is to just scrap the idea.
A rep system is better for larger (10,000 members+) forums, since the likelyhood of abuse is minimized by sheer numbers.
As such, I can only see four outcomes:

1.) Everyone does a full about face and decides to go with it in a positive manner that improves the forums. (3% chance)
2.) It continues to such a point where users engage in "Rep Wars". (57% chance)
3.) Everyone one gets pissed and ragequits the forums. (39% chance)
4.) The forums suddenly disappear for an unknown reason unrelated to the rep system. (1% chance)
QFT. I really don't see how a rep system would serve any purpose, since the active members all basically know each other. And even for new members, I say it's better for them to actually get to know people instead of just being all like "Oh, person A has a much higher rep than person B, therefore I like person A much better, even though I don't know either of them at all".

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM
Been here way too long...
agreed.
kill rep now.
please...?

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Seconded (thirded?). We don't need any rep system around here.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:19 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I'll throw my chips in the bucket here and reiterate that I think it's a bad idea as well. I just can't see the benefit in such a small group of users.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Agreed. Ya got my vote to eliminate it as well. It's a bit ridiculous, allows for pre-judgement without getting to now the user, and it's all together useless.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:10 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I vote in favor of killing it.

AND JUST SO YA KNOW, PERSON WHO PUT IT UP, NOT VOTING DOESN'T MEAN NO. I'VE YET TO SEE ANYONE VOTE NO, SO THEREFORE, NO ONE HAS.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Did we start a poll?

Adding to the accumulating mass, I vote for removing it, too.
Just as Boots pointed out, and as you can read in that link to the vBulletin forum, there's just not that great of a chance of this turning out very good...

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM
So far 7 vote for taking it down and 1 (or 2, if MS counts*) to leave it up.

* In that she hasn't stated explicitly.**

** That and women aren't allowed to vote.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM
/end
Why are you talking about me? I didn't even turn it on, I don't even know if I can turn it off.

And Jacob, I still have more than you at the moment.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM
MetaSeraphim said:
Why are you talking about me? I didn't even turn it on, I don't even know if I can turn it off.

And Jacob, I still have more than you at the moment.

I was raising the point that you haven't stated you opinion on whether you want it to go or not. >_>

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM
Been here way too long...
I also vote to take away the rep system. General opinion of an individual does not need to be stamped on their profile with cold numbers.
The forum's FAQ says there should be an option to disable your forums rep, or maybe just disable the display of it. That option is supposed to be under Edit Options, but it isn't. If the staff doesn't remove the rep system, I think it would be courteous for them to at least give us this option.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:25 AM
/end
DragonBoots said:
I was raising the point that you haven't stated you opinion on whether you want it to go or not. >_>

Ah, I don't really care either way.