King: Strife and Sacrifice (AKA King's Story)

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:29 AM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oh.... okay.

P.S. I really love it. Please finish the rest of it

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:30 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I will. Even if it kills me.
(it probably won't)

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:39 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I was under the assumption it was going to almost be a full new game by the time the engine was done. IDK

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Yeah that is pretty much the plan, I mean, the engine itself is getting nearly done and so is the editor to go with it, it's been slow but gradual work and the important thing is that I am learning lots of new things ... right???

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:38 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
it's been slow but gradual work and the important thing is that I am learning lots of new things ... right???

The important thing is that you are taking forever and we all hate you for it :momo:

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:40 AM
The important thing is that you are taking forever but we appreciate that you're taking your time to make a really high-quality game that will be the product of lots of care and patience. :)

Fix'd

Really, though, K:SS is probably one of my favorite mods/CS-fangames so far. It's all very well done and the only criticism I can make so far is that occasionally the dialogue could probably be smoothed out a bit—I can't name any specifics right now because it's been a while since I've played the mod, but I seem to remember some of the exchanges between King and Yuki being a little bit strained. But then again, they're kids and that's how kids are sometimes.

Anyway, take your time, Noxid, and don't worry about finishing it before it's done. We can wait.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I would definitely agree with you on the dialogue. Much of it was written a few years back when I still, to be honest, had no idea whatsoever of what I was even going to do with the plot. It'll all probably be worked over a bit to make things more consistent / logical / well written with the years of valuable experience I now have as "a guy who posts a lot on forums and sometimes makes jokes"

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Do you have the entire plot on paper now?

Or at least ready in your head?

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
more or less. It's not written down, but I have most of it lined up mentally, have for a while now. In truth, it's been so long, that I really want to get back to the nitty-gritty of actually working on levels, writing dialogue, etc.
But I've gone way overboard with things and have to do all these other things before I can start that D:

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:37 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I hear ya, well just keep having fun with it if you can. Us fans for the most part know that such quality cannot be rushed.

Good luck man, thank you for the amazing game so far, and keep it up, you're doing a fantastic job! :)

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Man... when i first saw the topic title i was like "Meh, it will suck, but let's play first." (because King isn't a character that i like)
After i played i puked......................rainbows.
Good job making this mod, you totally changed the way i thought King was. (note: I'm not the best english speaker/writer, so....yeah...)
Oh and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't abandon this mod, even if you are busy, you can always work in it in your free time, don't need to work all day along.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM
I have played through this and am really enjoying it. If only the demo didn't stop when you teleported...
Anyway, suggestions:
... None really, however, it is possible to get the golden flower up on a ledge you can't jump to. You have to lure a bat into the area where the flower is and make him come out enough to damage boost yourself up in there. Also, the "Basic Math puzzle" isn't really basic, I'm still in school and when I got to the puzzle, I was stuck and had to replay up to that point without the puzzle. Finally, the dialogue after you talk to King's mom once is really sad!

Good job making this mod, you totally changed the way i thought King was.
Also, going by lugues, I have so much respect for King now. I kinda know how King feels at his age during this at the time. (Which is 14) I've always liked King for who he is, but I didn't know his back story would be sad like this.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed (what little there is of) it, and it really does mean a lot to me to hear that people are still downloading and enjoying my mod. Cave Story was in dev for 5 years and I'm starting to creep up on 3 now (sheez) but with the imminent completion Booster's Lab and the new engine being in its final stages, I'm eager to put out some more new levels and make use of the skills I've picked up along the way.

when I said "basic" math puzzle I guess i was speaking from the perspective of someone with at least an entry level high school education. Sorry! Maybe I'll reword that...

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I thought there was only multiplication, division, addition & subtraction - along with having to know the formula for density.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well how many 13 year olds know the formula for density now
probably only like, some.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
I don't know if this sort of drivel is appreciated, but.....

uiwefhuwiefqwoi3ruiw3owgfrf;;;; let me love you

Definitely the best story-driven Cave Story mod I've tried so far. I'm not too far in at time of writing, but I'm absolutely taken with it. Once I finished Cave Story, I was just dying for someone to take the major side-characters and flesh them out into really three-dimensional, multi-faceted characters with their own backstories. I can definitely see/appreciate the immense effort that was put into this. The illustrated cutscene at the start was a gem.

Are there any more like this, but for other characters?

EDIT: Oh, and my boyfriend tried it out and managed to beat the first boss by standing on the roof of Arthur's house until the thing self-destructed itself to death. I am not sure if you intended for that to be possible, just throwing it out there.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Definitely the best story-driven Cave Story mod I've tried so far. I'm not too far in at time of writing, but I'm absolutely taken with it. Once I finished Cave Story, I was just dying for someone to take the major side-characters and flesh them out into really three-dimensional, multi-faceted characters with their own backstories. I can definitely see/appreciate the immense effort that was put into this. The illustrated cutscene at the start was a gem.

EDIT: Oh, and my boyfriend tried it out and managed to beat the first boss by standing on the roof of Arthur's house until the thing self-destructed itself to death. I am not sure if you intended for that to be possible, just throwing it out there.

The mechs are like annihilators in Iji - they are so aggressive they can kill themselves.

You should try Schism - it has great dialogue.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator

Always appreciated :debug:
as always I apologize in advance for the brevity of the demo and promise great things to come

Ironically enough, I haven't actually played a whole lot of other mods, especially the older ones. But (anyone feel free to correct me), I don't think there any other mods of substantial length that focus on the backstory of the secondary characters in the original game. I know lunarsold magicdoors was working on a misery origins mod of some sort but I can't remember whether he sidelined that or not.

@mech It's partly a bug, partly intentional. The explosive shot was intended to harm other NPCs (even the mech itself) but the way it's fired is a bit screwed up and that'll be fixed in the re-coded mod. Writing that entire NPC and its projectiles and effects in assembly was kind of an ordeal (just the mech itself is an 11kb source file) so something like terrain analysis to decide whether or not firing a shot is going to blow itself up wasn't in the cards at the time.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:52 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Aug 10, 2012 at 4:14 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
You should try Schism - it has great dialogue.

Alright -- I'll try that next. :o

Always appreciated :debug:
as always I apologize in advance for the brevity of the demo and promise great things to come

Ironically enough, I haven't actually played a whole lot of other mods, especially the older ones. But (anyone feel free to correct me), I don't think there any other mods of substantial length that focus on the backstory of the secondary characters in the original game. I know lunarsold magicdoors was working on a misery origins mod of some sort but I can't remember whether he sidelined that or not.

@mech It's partly a bug, partly intentional. The explosive shot was intended to harm other NPCs (even the mech itself) but the way it's fired is a bit screwed up and that'll be fixed in the re-coded mod. Writing that entire NPC and its projectiles and effects in assembly was kind of an ordeal (just the mech itself is an 11kb source file) so something like terrain analysis to decide whether or not firing a shot is going to blow itself up wasn't in the cards at the time.

Going to look into that, because I would slaughter 100 men for a "Misery Story" type mod.

So, nearly finished then? :awesomeface:

Hahah, apparently then. I didn't realize it was still short, I thought that it was at least halfway finished.