King: Strife and Sacrifice (AKA King's Story)

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
UPDATE!!!

This one's for you, Lace. xp crystals are bouncy no more!

for full release notes, check first post :(

DoubleThink said:
-I like the effect with the ruined houses you can check out. As an aside, the Map System is still there, if you didn't mean for it to be. Some mods have had it left in by mistake.

Yea, I did intend for it to be discoverable in the burnt-out shell of that one house. How else did it get there in CS? Obviously when King plays, he thinks he doesn't need a map. that's why it's been left there so long.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM
Been here way too long...
Awesome!
you're the best man at my imaginary wedding!
woo!

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:11 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Yyyyeeeessss!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful, this is a great balance you've got going on Noxid.

I congratulate you on a job very well done!

Still, this thing's gonna creep the fuck outta me at this rate.

Oh, and I think I know a major plot for the story.

King is the reason as to why the doctor is hunchbacked.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM
okay, saving before the cutscene is a tad annoying if you die. and how do you end up all the way at the bottom, unless you bounce?

I'd suggest - remove save point (looks less tacky)
auto-save after cutscene.
spread the ladder of blocks one block frther apart, so you can fall down the middle, and get bumped backwards so you fall all the way down the hole, which would make more sense to me.

and lol, toroko.

I love this mod, can't wait till ya beef it up a bit more. (I fear the oh noez robots attacking music is a tad repetitive tho)

in case you didn't notice, that post above was SPOILERS.

thanks for making such a pzazzy mod.

(if you're noticing me not commenting on anything beyond robots. its cuz they're so fly-y into my facy. pain)

also, popping out of mahins hut, the door closes before you exit.
alslooso, nice use of an h trigger.
andandand, get rid of the manual and stuffs. peeps with slow comps (boots) would appreciate it.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:13 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I like to asplain things :s

Lace said:
okay, saving before the cutscene is a tad annoying if you die.

I'd suggest - remove save point (looks less tacky)
auto-save after cutscene.

There is a slight issue with that. Due to the manner in which I coded the events (and with this as my first page of code, it's convoluted to say the least) this would I believe end up with you loading the game to face a pristine Mimiga village with nothing to stop you from waltzing all the way to the top. You see, I have it so that the map does not actually change when you pass out; I just CMP and CNP a heckuvalot of stuff. This saves a smidgen of space, but means the events need to be run every time you enter the map post-cutscene. Skipflags are probably the best solution to this, if I spent the time to make em work :o

and how do you end up all the way at the bottom, unless you bounce?

spread the ladder of blocks one block frther apart, so you can fall down the middle, and get bumped backwards so you fall all the way down the hole, which would make more sense to me.

But, that would mean changing pixel's divine creation! BLASPHEMY!
(Really, I cannot allow this unless you have a good reason for the entire row of stone that supports half the room above it to shift right/left like three feet between KS and CS. Maintaining consistency with the original game is one of my top priorities.)
I'm just going to say "it is up to the player's imagination to determine how King reaches the bottom"

and lol, toroko.

I'm glad someone found that :D
I love working in those little "extras", I think that's what really makes the game special.

(I fear the oh noez robots attacking music is a tad repetitive tho)

That was my fear too. Short, grating and not very inspired. It can get better; It will get better. It has to do with the way I write music - the longer I take, the better it gets. The music I selected to include is a pretty good indicator of this.

Song 1 - RoBotZ! song: about two days
Song 2 - In the cave new song (also plays on my hidden map): about a month
Song 3 (if you got that far; it's in the ORGview otherwise) - about two months

It takes me a very long time to create something half decent you see. Luckily I work on about 3-4 songs at a time when I do feel like writing them, so it kinda balances out...

in case you didn't notice, that post above was SPOILERS.

What do you mean? Cyowolf's? This is just speculation. And it does have a spoiler tag, so I don't have any objection to it.

Final note: Tomorrow is the day I leave to go to university! Will this mean less time to write my mod? most likely. On top of that, I have a large selection of new content planned in the next release, so that will compound the delay.

(Really final note)
Is the pallet on this too light for the foreground? Part of me says it looks a little gross, part of me says that's what makes it special :p

diph.php

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM
like the tileset, I was referring to my own post, not cyros
cheers.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
You know, I liked the previous song you had that played after king got knocked out, it gave a great sense of urgency.

Basically, it said GETOUTOFTHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it the one played for ballos or undead core? I swear it's a boss song...

Eh, I'd have to see it in action, but, yeah, it's a nasty green, try more emerald, its a darker color.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:17 PM
I loiked it.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:43 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Be prepared for a review that's gonna glow so bright it's going to make your eyes burn.

The perspective and plot on this mod is FRICKING AMAZING.
It's awesome to see the prequel to Cave Story, and this just hits the nail on the head. I just wish it was a bit longer, but oh well, you just started it. I am really anxious to see how this turns out, keep going, PLEASE.

Excuse my caps and my noob-talk, but i just need to rate it this way because it's so awesome.

The Mushots: King's eyes look a *bit* strange, but nothing big AT ALL and I got used to it after about five seconds.
The Bloody Mimiga mugshot is just plain awesome.

The Blood: AWESOME. It really increases the intensity of the situation. If the mimigas were just lying everywhere, i would be just like, "meh", and get killed by carelessness.
When i saw the mimigas bleeding all over the place like a Silent Hill game, I was like, "HOLY CRAP."

The Plotline: Amazing. It's really hard to comprehend how
king could have done all this, or if it is even real. And that the enemy(or so i think, based on the similarity of the icon and the drill symbol) is bending king's will?
I JUST CAN'T WAIT for the next release. but i will. I will.

Weapons: Not much to say here.

Music/sound: Okay, nice use of the helicopter sound for the drill. It fits perfectly. For the "bloody town" music with the robots, it's okay, but i personally think Run or Opression would fit better, and if you can, "Break Down" when
all the robots are gone and all the dead mimigas are just lying there
and
King's had his "relevation", or just after he gets back from the cave. Speaking of the cave, cool effect of how the music stops when King's getting talked to/epiphany to when it stops. Kinda reminds me of Grave Mind from Halo 3.

Keep goin' it's awesome, and one last thought:

Holy crap. Holy God. with this plotline, i think this might be the baby(new) mod with the most potential for epicness in my entire life. If you could get internets, I would give you one. No, two.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:21 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
(cough)

So, uh, anyone out there interested in maybe, I dunno,

kinda being

my assistant or something?

No, not even an assistant. You'd be like, VP of awesome.

Heck, you can be President of awesome if you want. I've just came onto the grinding realization that I can't stand making pixel art. It would be really sweet if somebody, I dunno, offered to help do stuff like facepics, tilesets and NPC's. You don't even have to make it up if you don't want to! (but if you do want to, I guess that could be arranged...)

I really want this mod to be awesome, and I don't really want it to be a five year solo project. So, yea. If you're interested, send me a little letter and a sample of your work to my email address (on my user profile, I think)

And, if you don't want to, just pretend like you never read this post.

See? Poof! it's gone.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:16 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
great so far... it made me sad when it ended abruptly, can't wait for more... also what was that picture that showed when king said "But I can take revenge" or something (can't remember exactly what he said)

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
That was a symbol that could be seen both on the chests of the large robots and the hull of the drilling machine itself. Perhaps it is the logo of a particular corporation, or military group?

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Update-E-O!!!!

Yes, it's not dead, and it's waiting for you!

Play it now. It's easier (?)! It's longer! It's got stuff!

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:20 AM
skipflags,
they're your friend.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:25 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I could do pixel art if you give me the story script and the face.pbm. I can't play the actual game.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:03 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Skipflags are the bane of my existence.

But, if you insist, I updated the link with a fixed version. Skipflags for ERVRYBUDDY!

@Sick Bastard: I appreciate your offer. I will send you a message when I need something, currently trying to get some TSC out of the way before I turn my focus back on graphics.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Wookay, potentially long post ahead.

Also, contains some spoilers.

1. Nice choice of music, Noxid. The Crystal Cave needs something more echoey, though. I could imagine sound being bounced beautifully around such an area.

2. SPIKES!!! God lord, that is ridiculous, Noxid. That thing in the corner is impossible to get. And so is that tight corridor of spikes. I was expecting something more than this, not some Last cave wannabe.

3. JUMP JET!!! ^_^ Dude, you rock! Should have unlimited ammo, though, since it's going to be used frequently. Having only fifty sucks, it's such fun! ^_^

4. Epic pic=Epic win, yo.

diph.php

Really. Was this necessary? It just really pissed me off. I got no further due to dying so many times.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:35 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
'ey, dont I get any credit? I was testing to fix an error in your mod :rolleyes:

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Did you ask him if you could test it?

Edit: None of what I said you can know now. So, no talking about it, Ryu.

2nd Edit: Sorry Ryu, I meant to say that you cannot talk about what I previously posted. That is a secret, understand?

Credit isn't given if you don't ask to help with something, Ryu.

Also, what did you find?