King: Strife and Sacrifice (AKA King's Story)

May 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: King: Strife and Sacrifice (old was King's Story)

When is the next demo, please?

May 5, 2010 at 11:23 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
diph.php

I guess it's my turn to use that :o
But in all seriousness I don't actually have a date. Depends how long it takes for somebody to make a version of CE that's compatible with the larger graphics.

I mean, I've got plenty to do in the meantime, but still...

May 10, 2010 at 2:19 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Er.... that helps...??

Not....

But I like the mod...

May 10, 2010 at 7:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

The Map feature doesn't work, even though I picked up the item. :confused::confused::confused:

Right now I'm in the caves, and I must say, the difficulty is aggravating at times, but I like it...and more so if those little ball things would stop running into me the minute I enter the room!

but yeah...help please? The Web of Caves is annoying!

May 10, 2010 at 8:20 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Huh, that's odd, I'm not sure why the map system would not work.. I didn't change it at all :confused: What happens when you press "W" key, specifically, so I can try and diagnose the issue?

The caves can be a little rough, it should be better for the next version, but until then, I guess some ProTips?
1) The rolling things are the most dangerous, make them a priority target. They'll only jump if they hit a wall, so take advantage of the time it takes for them to turn around when you jump over them.
2) Levelling up the Plasma Bolt to 3 will make things much easier - the earthy spot with power critters can be fairly easily farmed due to the convenient save point and health refill in the nearby tunnel; it's about halfway through the area.
3) In cramped quarters, a level 2 or 3 bubbler can work wonders due to its ability to get around slopes.
4) Near the very start, if you go down and left there's a life restoring yellow flower. Be careful though, because it's guarded by two rollers.

Overall I think a large problem is that it's difficult to get your weapon level up early on which in turn makes everything else harder. I'll try and add some more easy experience at the start, probably.

May 12, 2010 at 4:36 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Noxid said:
Huh, that's odd, I'm not sure why the map system would not work.. I didn't change it at all :confused: What happens when you press "W" key, specifically, so I can try and diagnose the issue?

I got the map in the Mimiga village, followed by the map in the mines. When I pressed W, nothing happened. Was I not supposed to get the Map in the Village? Because that by itself didn't work. :mad: :confused:

Also, am I suppose to go through the cave with only 7HP? Because either I'm just that epic
LIES!!!!! :D :D :D
or I'm doin' it wrong.

May 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Taking the map system from the chest in Mimiga village is right, and the second map at the research station wouldn't affect anything since that's just a BG image. So you did manage to make it through though? with 7Hp, that's pretty good. There's actually a maximum of 15 HP you can have when you get to that point, and at the end of it is two more so the max possible in the game is 17 so far. That's actually still pretty low, and I probably was way too harsh in hiding the ones that were there, so I will try to be a bit more generous next time.

The one that I give away for everyone is in Mahin's storehouse, the top-left pot has a life-up in it. [+2]. the other two [+2] are in plain sight, but one's got some crazy spikes around it (hehe... :s) and the third is of course at the "end" of the crystal area, unless you use the enemies to boost you up. The [+4] is simply impossible and I expect nobody to get it without being told how.

I don't know what to say about the map other than it might just be glitched, if it's in your inventory and not working.

May 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Noxid said:
Taking the map system from the chest in Mimiga village is right, and the second map at the research station wouldn't affect anything since that's just a BG image.

You should just make the map system into a new system where throughout the game you find maps of certain areas and can open them up. It isn't like you CAN'T do that.

May 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Noxid said:
Taking the map system from the chest in Mimiga village is right, and the second map at the research station wouldn't affect anything since that's just a BG image....I don't know what to say about the map other than it might just be glitched, if it's in your inventory and not working.

Now that I look in my bag...IT'S NOT THERE!?

TT^TT

I know I got that thing! I spent a good ten minutes getting the jump! (yes, in the original, I sucked that much. I waited til I got the machine gun to boost me up. Its sad, I know)

*sigh* I'll just restart my game then...but and now that I know where some of the health boosters are, the cave may be *somewhat* bearable...

May 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Ok...now going through it a second time, I have to ask:

Does giving the *Dead Fish* to the Mimiga who makes the map determine if you get the map or not? Because the first time, I gave him the dead fish and the map failed me.

But yeah, now going through the caves with 11 HP now.

May 14, 2010 at 6:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Doesn't matter, it's entirely up to you. It's sort of hinting that I want to be able to give you the player the choice to decide what's the best way to solve a problem. Here, of course, there's no consequence for whatever action you take.

May 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

Alright, I've played through this, and absolutly loved it. The redone Mimiga village was really well done, and really fleshed out the possibilities of what it could have been before the robot attack.

I'm now replaying it to see if I can find some extra stuff, and found this:
Bukkit.png

That's definatly not how you spell bucket. Also, awsomness radiates from it's core? Fuck yeah.

I wasn't a huge fan of the chthululu face sprite, though. Would you mind if I re-did it for you?

May 20, 2010 at 9:19 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oh, wow. You win the ingenuity award pal. I honestly thought nobody would find that without me leaking it first.. Ha...
I really didn't put all that much bonus material if I recall, not yet at least. I was a bit more concerned about getting the whole thing together to have *a* demo.

Didn't like Cthulu? I thought he was eh okay pic.
Well, I'm mid-redoing them all anyway. Here's an unfinished vers.

p82741-0-cthuluportraitnoxid.png

Better? Worse? Riftcast did the redesign and then I did a redesign of that now I've sent it back to him for a (hopefully) final touch-up.

May 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Yeah, I like that version alot better.

Although, remember; to keep with the cave story art style, each pixel needs to be a four pixel square, when using a normal art program... unless I'm mistaken, and it's different for the portraits.

May 20, 2010 at 9:51 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

I think that looks much better. still a little creepy, but then he's a creepy guy.

May 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

explosive said:
Yeah, I like that version alot better.

Although, remember; to keep with the cave story art style, each pixel needs to be a four pixel square, when using a normal art program... unless I'm mistaken, and it's different for the portraits.

He's doubled the resolution for his mod, so all the portraits he'll be using will be fleshed out in more detail, avoiding pixelation (4 pixel squares).

May 24, 2010 at 5:59 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

I am actually stuck at somewhat the beginning of the game. I got through the really long and really tedious crystal cave and arrived at the base but I don't know what to do next! I checked the teleporters computer, the blackboard, and the other computer but I don't know what to do now T.T Help?

Also is the version posted for download on the first page the latest version? If not can you point me to which page does have the latest version :3? Please and Thanks!

May 24, 2010 at 6:01 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

David Schwobe said:
I am actually stuck at somewhat the beginning of the game. I got through the really long and really tedious crystal cave and arrived at the base but I don't know what to do next! I checked the teleporters computer, the blackboard, and the other computer but I don't know what to do now T.T Help?

Also is the version posted for download on the first page the latest version? If not can you point me to which page does have the latest version :3? Please and Thanks!

Check the table outside of the outpost (house) thing, there should be some clues there.

May 24, 2010 at 6:30 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

OH MY GOD!! Thanks a lot, that helped a ton xD! Funny thing is, i have checked that table before but when I checked it the first time, no map came up. Anyways, thanks!

May 24, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Alright, so keep in mind this is VERY rough, but this is sort of what I had in mind:
king.png