Kero Blaster, A New Game by Pixel

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Polaris said:
Yeah, that guy. You know, the one with the Lv 60-something Pikachu who lost to a Lv 5 Snivy. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure that pikachu is level 99 after 4 regions.Still,how did pikachu beat that serpirior in the intro to the movie then?

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm very excited for this and cannot wait to play it.

I feel like it'll become apart of the small number of games I have on my phone, it'll be nice to play something by Pixel while I'm out.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Looks just as nostalgic and as awesome as cave story, I NEED TO PLAY IT :U

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Not sure where else to put this... Thinking about how Pixel said this might come to 3DS, I wondered what it would look like, so I made a 3D .mpo file for use with 3DS Camera. IMO, it looks great in 3d.

http://i.3dporch.com/7msz.mpo

(For use on 3DS Browser)

Or if you're comfortable with doing the cross-eye method on PC and such:

http://3dporch.com/7msz.jps

(both the same image)

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I still want pixel to add quote and curly in.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
metalsonic71 said:
I still want pixel to add quote and curly in.
Is it really that much of a problem if pixel decides to make something new and original?

A cameo (like the Ikachan stuff in CS) would be cool, but I've played a lot of various games by Pixel,

And even though it's no Cave Story 2 (that's probably what you care about)... For me, this is a true gift because it's bigger than what he usually makes. Azarachi iOS was cool, but only a quick pick me up, and that's pretty much the same with all his freeware games as well. But this is seeming to be a much bigger project... Not expecting as much playtime or greatness as CS, but without a doubt his Second largest game project. (Unless he finished Rockfish... That looked really great as well.)

Quote and Curly aren't the only main characters that pixel made...

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
HOLY CRAP a new game that I can't play. Ah well, looks neat too.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:47 AM
Well, Pixel sure is polishing it up if it's taken this long since May to prepare the game. He's a busy man, commendable for doing all this in his hobby time. His family comes first, and that's really honorable of him.

My main reason for bringing this thread up is some information that some of you may have missed:

From Polygon, reporting from the Japanese BitSummit Conference:

Starring a gun toting frog — "gero" being the sound a frog makes in Japanese — the game resembles side-scrolling shooters like Metal Slug and Contra; or more specifically Super Time Force, given the shared pixel art style. The plot sees main character Kaeru hunting for his kidnapped girlfriend on an "unknown planet."
So "Kaeru" is our gallant frog hero's name? That translates to the verb "to come back/to return".

heh... It's practically nothing, I just like finding hidden information on quiet topics, but hey, maybe someone here will enjoy the prospect of now having a name, even if truly unrelated to the Frog of Ame.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
EnlightenedOne said:
So "Kaeru" is our gallant frog hero's name? That translates to the verb "to come back/to return".
Actually the word Kaeru translates to "frog". It CAN mean "to return" when used as a verb, but as a noun (and in this context) it definitely means "frog".

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
At any rate, at least we have something to call the dude now. Good work, EnlightenedOne. :D

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
We can call him Frog, like we already have been
That would make the most sense, since that is his name.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM
I think that's been the third or fourth time that someone brung up that pixel said that they were unrelated.

We all know this by now, GIR was just saying that since the correct translation of Kaeru is "frog", therefore simply calling him "frog" is still calling him by his name in English.

Also... How did I miss that it translates to "frog", I'm embarrassed that I thought of the verb meaning instead...

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
:( I was looking forward to the release of Gero Blaster in the spring. It's too bad most developers don't seem to keep up with their deadlines (had to wait for five months for Icebreaker iOS to come out...Nitrome promised January; now look what they did with Super Feed Me). D:

The gameplay looks almost identical to Cave Story (as people probably mentioned), but that's cool. I've always wanted a copy of Cave Story to bring along with me. :debug: Although given the trailer, I don't see how it's possible to jump and shoot upwards at the same time. My favourite combo of keys in Cave Story. :p

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Random-storykeeper said:
:( I was looking forward to the release of Gero Blaster in the spring. It's too bad most developers don't seem to keep up with their deadlines (had to wait for five months for Icebreaker iOS to come out...Nitrome promised January; now look what they did with Super Feed Me). D:
Not keeping to unrealistic deadlines is good, it means a better end product.

Random-storykeeper said:
The gameplay looks almost identical to Cave Story (as people probably mentioned), but that's cool. I've always wanted a copy of Cave Story to bring along with me. :debug: Although given the trailer, I don't see how it's possible to jump and shoot upwards at the same time. My favourite combo of keys in Cave Story. :p
You can lock the gun into upwards autofire and then run and jump around all you want. At least that was my understanding.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It is true, but sometimes it is helpful. I just don't like empty promises made; it could have been "coming soon" rather than a set date to expect. Oh well.

If you lock the gun into upwards autofire, wouldn't that make the controls even more complex? Especially if there are going to be a lot of enemies present within a level. Then again...

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Professional Whatever
If you just up and don't set a deadline then you have all the time in the world to finish it. That means that you can procrastinate all you want and never finish it. Setting a deadline, even if you miss it, helps to prevent procrastination - because you have a set amount of time to finish.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I didn't suggest that deadlines were bad, I said that strictly conforming to unrealistic deadlines and releasing what you have on said deadline, no matter how incomplete, is bad. Point being that I prefer a late game over half a game.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"