Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:46 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
:D Great news! :D

Based on my findings, all bugs that affect the gameplay have been fixed. I used backup profiles to test certain parts I have reported earlier (Mjölnir trading, Outer Wall, Missile upgrade) to make sure. All is now well!

Though you may have missed one "Mjolnir" word in the script (the event where you increase ammo from the Nemesis capsule) and also I found another in the Hermit Gunsmith script:
I can't have my number-one client
running around practically
bare- handed, no sir.
These are the only two minor issues for you fix for your final next version. (1.5.5.1 or 1.6.0.0 <Definitely 1.6.0.0 with walkthrough if no one else reports> Sorry, sorry, more bugs encountered...)

I am now really finished with bug-testing. Now if NOBODY ELSE find new bugs (that affect how the game plays) and typos in the game for a certain amount of time (weeks or months), another version of the game bundled with the walkthrough can be released and a Japanese (and other languages) translation can be considered.

Here is my final checklist:
☑ 1. All 4 Spelling & Grammar issues have been corrected: "to" "surprised" "sometime" and "Mjölnir" (o with Diaeresis is optional) - FIXED!
☑ 2. Mjölnir stays Mjölnir when refusing upgrade from capsule and getting original weapon back from Little Man. - FIXED!
☑ 3. Removed the save point in Outer Wall. Further inspection could automatically consider the chest oversight fixed. - FIXED!
☑ 4. Machine Gun jump to stay ignored, if corrected, it is marked not fixed. (Ignored! So it marks as...) - FIXED!
☑ 5. Another H/V trigger below the first bat placed to prevent getting Crescent Medal on second go. (Ignored. I guess Booster 2.0 is allowed on second go so...) - FIXED!
☑ 6. Dr. Gero has been given a new dialog for Curly to avert the crash bug. Further inspection could automatically consider the crash bug fixed. - FIXED!

● ● ●
I launched a NG+ with Little Man and he still says "No use standing around looking at your pockets!" in A Familiar Room (Prefab House). I watched your live gameplay and you typed in the chat
Little Man should say "so this is how it ends"
and
Looks like a buuuuug!
It seems you did not add Flag 1192 on the event where your items are being manipulated.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Erm... I could not get the 3rd medal. The chest was empty when I got there... Did I do something wrong?

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

And yes, I went before getting Quote's items.

I also have something to report. As long as you do it in the PREFAB HOUSE ONLY, and DO NOT change the Polar Star to the Spur, or have BOTH, or mess with the Blade/Nemesis trade, you can use a save editor to change your weapons and ONLY your weapons.

Polar Star: If Spur was not obtained, this can be present in inventory. Hermit Gunsmith will break the capsule. If gotten with Spur path taken, he will ignore this capsule. You can replace it if you want, just not with the Spur or Nemesis.
Missile Launcher/S Missile Launcher: Only 1 can and should be present. Balrog will break the capsule you have.
Fireball: Reccommended replaced with Machine Gun, Snake, or Bubbler.
Bubbler: No consequences if hacked in, nor hacked out. Can replace any weapon, and can be replaced BY any weapon except Nemesis and possibly Polar Star or Spur.
Machine Gun: Can replace any weapon if hacked in, including the Spur and Polar Star. I reccommend replacing the Fireball or Bubbler.
Blade: Best left as is. If you have it, great, if you don't, don't hack it in. If you DID NOT do the Little Man sidequest (either have him or never picked him up) you can replace it.
Snake: Can replace any weapon, preferably the Fireball, for obvious reasons.
Nemesis: Don't do anything with this. If you have it, great (but you shouldn't because Mjolnir sucks), if not, don't do anything, no matter what.
Spur: Should only be gotten legitimately. It can be replaced, just not with the Polar Star. If gotten without Spur path taken, Hermit Gunsmith will ignore the capsule.

In short, certain weapons can be messed with, but weapons gotten via events should be left as is. Weapon Switching should only be done in the Prefab House. I haven't done anything with items but I'm assuming that the Life Pot and Alien Medal wouldn't cause any issues if they weren't obtained, but the Little Man should be dealt with legitimately.

Basically, there are some things you can do in NG+, and others you can't. This, for example, is a safe NG+ inventory.Untitled.png
I replaced the Fireball with the Snake and the Bubbler with the Machine Gun. This setup worked for me. Tbh, this is the most I reccommend doing. I hope my findings prove informative.

Zarrot: Great job on the mod, and I agree with Fluff. I don't see any bugs.

Everyone else: Again, this setup is the most that you should do in terms of using a profile editor. Zarrot does not reccommend using them at all. I found a tiny loophole, but I DO NOT RECCOMMEND DOING THIS WITHOUT CAREFUL CONSIDERATION AND BACKUPS. Take whatever risks you like, but don't come crying to me or Zarrot if the game fucks up.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Veteran Member
ZarroTsu, thanks again for averting the crash. But now I have a question to ask: What is the maximum amount Regular Missile Launcher ammo after having opened up all the chests?

If I just only opened up one Missile Launcher chest and leave the rest unopened, then...
Go to Jenka's House and get possessed by the Doctor and start playing as Curly Brace, any unopened chests could still be opened by Curly. And when she picks up Quote's Items in Jenka's House, I could end up having more than the maximum amount you planned for the game.
To fix: I see you still have Event #0014 in the Head "A charm has been placed on it. It won't open". Activate flag 1005 when you play as Curly and have all Missile Launcher chests jump to Event #0014 (You need to place <FLJ1005:0014 in every event in their own maps, otherwise the chests will appear open). Clear flag 1005 when Curly gets Quote's items. (ONLY if you still do not allow more than the maximum amount of missiles you planned for the game!)

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Fluff8836 said:
ZarroTsu, thanks again for averting the crash. But now I have a question to ask: What is the maximum amount Regular Missile Launcher ammo after having opened up all the chests?

If I just only opened up one Missile Launcher chest and leave the rest unopened, then...
Go to Jenka's House and get possessed by the Doctor and start playing as Curly Brace, any unopened chests could still be opened by Curly. And when she picks up Quote's Items in Jenka's House, I could end up having more than the maximum amount you planned for the game.
To fix: I see you still have Event #0014 in the Head "A charm has been placed on it. It won't open". Activate flag 1005 when you play as Curly and have all Missile Launcher chests jump to Event #0014. Clear flag 1005 when Curly gets Quote's items. (ONLY if you still do not allow more than the maximum amount of missiles you planned for the game!)
I think the maximum may be 120, because I had Balrog open my Missile capsule and got every upgrade.

Btw, Fluff, do you know why I couldn't get that medal? The chest was empty.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:37 PM
Veteran Member
I think the maximum may be 120, because I had Balrog open my Missile capsule and got every upgrade.

Btw, Fluff, do you know why I couldn't get that medal? The chest was empty.
Which medal in the chest are you referring to?

Looked at your edit, I see you're going for Kero Medal.

EDIT: I looked at your edit in an earlier post. How is it possible? You may have done something wrong. Start another new game or load a Cave Story profile for a NG+ and play up to

where you start playing as Curly.

Do not use a save editor.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Fluff8836 said:
Which medal in the chest are you referring to?

Looked at your edit, I see you're going for Kero Medal.

EDIT: I looked at your edit in an earlier post. How is it possible? You may have done something wrong. Start another new game or load a Cave Story profile for a NG+ and play up to

where you start playing as Curly.

Do not use a save editor.
Look, if not getting that medal is cosmic punishment for using the editor, I'm fine with that. As I said in that post, delicate use of the save editor causes no problems. But either way, it isn't the end of the world. Thanks though.

Btw, HOOOOOOOLY SHIT THAT BOSS RUSH!

Edit: But I beat it.

P.S.: If I sounded like a dick, it's not on purpose. I just feel that since I found a way to make things work for me, I'm gonna take advantage of it.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Veteran Member
Making a simple list based on the earlier posts above so far to fix bugs & typos for 1.5.5.1 or 1.5.6.0 the following weekend:

By me:
"Mjolnir" word missing diaeresis on 'o' on NG+ capsule event, "bare- handed" has a space between in Hermit Gunsmith, and Little Man issue in A Familiar Room.
Missile chest issue.

And by Mistress Nemesis:
Something about weapons that you may find informative.

These link names briefly describe the reported issues in the post the link follows to.

Keep in mind that the Little Man issue is what you actually found in your recorded stream. You also said in the chat that you forgot to recolor the Magic Journal item, have you done it?

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:52 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Jul 26, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Added the JN stream vids to the same playlist linked above.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Added the JN stream vids to the same playlist linked above.
Good times... Gooooooood tiiiiiimes... Btw, what would Vector to the Heavens sound like in Cave Story's music format? That would've been some shit if that played while fighting White. Hint hint...

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Update 1.6.0.0

- Rebuffed the Snake's Level 3 from 2 hits of 5 to 2 hits of 6.
- Fixed an issue with Snake Ammo not returning correct values when you exchange with Balrog/LittleMan
- Finally remembered to change the color of the Magic Journal's graphic.
- Fixed Little Man not giving his dialog in the Prefab House in NG+.
- Fixed missing o thing on one of the 'Mjolnir' names.

- Fixed the Missile Launcher giving more ammo than intended if you pick up a new launcher as Curly, before getting it back from Quote. This was done by checking if you already have the Launcher, then jumping around a bit in the events in Jenka's house. **This fix should probably be tested rigorously**

I'll finish the walkthrough and bump the version to 2.0.0.0 when I know everything is working correctly.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Okay so it is looking good so far. You have missed one issue and that's in the Hermit Gunsmith (the first map, not the other map with Suto) script I have mentioned to you in an earlier post. I'll bring that here:
I can't have my number-one client
running around practically
bare- handed, no sir.
See the bolded text, get rid of the space between the hyphen and the letter h.

So I will now show my checklist because of a missed issue (Everything checks out with one missed issue for now):
☐☑☒

☒ 1. "bare- handed" in Hermit Gunsmith is now "bare-handed", space in between is removed. - NOT FIXED
☑ 2. One "Mjolnir" word in the NG+ Capsule event in Little Cottage is now "Mjölnir" - FIXED!
☑ 3. Little Man now says "I'm guessing getting back to my folks now is out of the question. Dang, so this is how it ends, huh?" at A Familiar Room. - FIXED!
☑ 4. New Missile Launcher picked up by Curly before she gets Quote's items fixed with one check of a Missile Launcher in Jenka's House. - FIXED!
☑ 5. Check if Snake Weapon returns correct value of ammo when received from Trade with Little Man or Balrog. - FIXED!

I will do yet another gameplay for the sake of rigorous testing. (Might affect the current checklist especially the ones that have a ☑ for fixed.)

EDIT: If anybody read about my explaining of dummy-out text, forget everything else I had said. Booster is in his workshop after Deconstructor is destroyed, so the initial text can be seen.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
grampaglasses said:
There's a reason we have a delete post button. That post was it.

ZarroTsu said:
Update 1.6.0.0

- Rebuffed the Snake's Level 3 from 2 hits of 5 to 2 hits of 6.
- Fixed an issue with Snake Ammo not returning correct values when you exchange with Balrog/LittleMan
- Finally remembered to change the color of the Magic Journal's graphic.
- Fixed Little Man not giving his dialog in the Prefab House in NG+.
- Fixed missing o thing on one of the 'Mjolnir' names.

- Fixed the Missile Launcher giving more ammo than intended if you pick up a new launcher as Curly, before getting it back from Quote. This was done by checking if you already have the Launcher, then jumping around a bit in the events in Jenka's house. **This fix should probably be tested rigorously**

I'll finish the walkthrough and bump the version to 2.0.0.0 when I know everything is working correctly.
Seems legit good buddy. PLEASE READ BELOW, I HAVE A GOOD IDEA AS TO REIMPLEMENTING A DUMMIED OUT FEATURE!

You told me about that Misery and Ballos tag team in an earlier version of the game. What if when retrieving Quote's weapons as Curly, you get teleported to that battle as sort of a "Second Nightmare" left behind when Jenka presumably vanished between the two halves of the game, but only if you've found all of the secret rooms or something like that. I dunno, it just seems like a sadistically awesome combination to have Misery and her uncle trying to kill you at the same time.

Granted, the idea is so jagged and bare bones that if you don't like it, I understand, lol.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:36 AM
Eh, the whole Mis/Ballos thing was an illusion anyway. Sort of proud of how it ended.

When Ballos died, EVERYTHING in the room vanished without a trace except Quote and the chest, including the exp fragments, and it cut to complete silence. Because it was an illusion caused by the mirror fragment, you see.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Eh, the whole Mis/Ballos thing was an illusion anyway. Sort of proud of how it ended.

When Ballos died, EVERYTHING in the room vanished without a trace except Quote and the chest, including the exp fragments, and it cut to complete silence. Because it was an illusion caused by the mirror fragment, you see.

Mirror fragment? You left those in for a while?

Also, a noob question.

can Curly get upgrades for weapons, particularly the Machine Gun, and does the ammo for her always start at 100? I forgot what happens because I used the capsule and I swear it had less ammo when she got it from Balrog.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

Depending on the chests that have not yet opened or have been opened, Curly's Machine Gun (while playing as Quote or Curly) starts at a minimum of 40 and add 20 for each Machine Gun chest, excluding the chest blocked by an old rocket in Rest Area. Total possible without the NG+ Machine Gun capsule is 100 ammo. There are only four chests, but you cannot open one chest yet due to that rocket.

I think, as Quote while not traded back the Machine Gun to Balrog, if you let Curly open the Machine Gun capsule up in Town Hall or Observatory (before defeating Jenka's Nightmare), this capsule makes the ammo go up by 80. As Quote, the highest possible ammo is 180 (remember, the last chest blocked by an old rocket in Rest Area) BUT the problem is that the added ammo from the capsule becomes completely unavailable after Quote gets manipulated by the Doctor and so as Curly, the highest possible will instead be 120 (with the last chest now accessible since the rocket is now moved after getting Quote's items). I tried that before and I had noticed it. ZarroTsu needs to know this if it is a real bug or it could be as intended by ZarroTsu. Because...

...Currently, the only way to get the ACTUAL maximum ammo is that as Quote, do NOT let Curly open up the Machine Gun capsule. When you play as Curly and pick up Quote's items, the Machine Gun capsule will be in your inventory and you know what... it's actually the only kind of NG+ capsule that you as Curly can open yourself! So examine the Machine Gun capsule as Curly and it asks, "Do you want to open it?". Choose Yes and Curly says, "Aha! It opened!" (Fact: It's the only time you see a Face Pic in the dialog with the Inventory Screen). Then the Machine Gun's ammo goes up by 80. The maximum ammo after having opened up all the four chests is 200. That is absolute for the rest of the game.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Sounds like another trade bug.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:04 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Fluff8836 said:

Depending on the chests that have not yet opened or have been opened, Curly's Machine Gun (while playing as Quote or Curly) starts at a minimum of 40 and add 20 for each Machine Gun chest, excluding the chest blocked by an old rocket in Rest Area. Total possible without the NG+ Machine Gun capsule is 100 ammo. There are only four chests, but you cannot open one chest yet due to that rocket.

I think, as Quote while not traded back the Machine Gun to Balrog, if you let Curly open the Machine Gun capsule up in Town Hall or Observatory (before defeating Jenka's Nightmare), this capsule makes the ammo go up by 80. As Quote, the highest possible ammo is 180 (remember, the last chest blocked by an old rocket in Rest Area) BUT the problem is that the added ammo from the capsule becomes completely unavailable after Quote gets manipulated by the Doctor and so as Curly, the highest possible will instead be 120 (with the last chest now accessible since the rocket is now moved after getting Quote's items). I tried that before and I had noticed it. ZarroTsu needs to know this if it is a real bug or it could be as intended by ZarroTsu. Because...

...Currently, the only way to get the ACTUAL maximum ammo is that as Quote, do NOT let Curly open up the Machine Gun capsule. When you play as Curly and pick up Quote's items, the Machine Gun capsule will be in your inventory and you know what... it's actually the only kind of NG+ capsule that you as Curly can open yourself! So examine the Machine Gun capsule as Curly and it asks, "Do you want to open it?". Choose Yes and Curly says, "Aha! It opened!" (Fact: It's the only time you see a Face Pic in the dialog with the Inventory Screen). Then the Machine Gun's ammo goes up by 80. The maximum ammo after having opened up all the four chests is 200. That is absolute for the rest of the game.

ZarroTsu said:
Sounds like another trade bug.

I would say so. The current workaround that Fluff described works for now, but that's a bug if I ever did see one. I'd rank the level of this bug's severity at medium. It's not game-breaking and there's a workaround, but it didn't occur to me that I could do what Fluff said, and weapons are pretty important, so... Yeah.