Is editing sprites with GIMP any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2014 at 5:02 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So for my mod i'm working on, I wanna edit the the playable character sprite. I have heard that the best program to use is Paint.Net, so I installed that. I also share a computer with my brother, and he started complaining about our Wacom Tablet not working after I downloaded Paint.Net, so he uninstalled it and told me to use GIMP or something.. Is editing the sprites with GIMP good?

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:43 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I haven't used GIMP in a while, but from what i remember its not really good for editing sprites. The best option is MS Paint. (windows xp version, 7 is ass)

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:22 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
liammillay said:
I haven't used GIMP in a while, but from what i remember its not really good for editing sprites. The best option is MS Paint. (windows xp version, 7 is ass)
Same as what liam said, but I remember spriting being a bit better.

Paint is the best option, in my opinion. However, there's two things you have to do to make sure the sprites stay the same after you've saved them:
1) Before, you must have opened up the mod in Cave Editor or Boosters Lab, and set so that the extension for all of the images is .bmp, and remove the (c) Pixel requirement. This will make sure the colours don't revert back to the palette in the original sheet.
2) When done, you must save it manually -- File > Save As > .bmp (24-bit). Otherwise, the colours will still be messed up.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Silverpaw19 said:
So for my mod i'm working on, I wanna edit the the playable character sprite. I have heard that the best program to use is Paint.Net, so I installed that. I also share a computer with my brother, and he started complaining about our Wacom Tablet not working after I downloaded Paint.Net, so he uninstalled it and told me to use GIMP or something.. Is editing the sprites with GIMP good?
Have you considered the possibility that your brother has no idea what he's talking about?

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Professional Whatever
Paint.net doesn't have any tablet functionality at all that's probably his issue just tell him to use sai
I've been using paint.net for years and I can assure you it's enough, though I've never tried graphicsgale
Don't ms paint like seriously

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I always edit sprites with GIMP. It's quick and easy when you know how to use it.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
GraphicsGale is definitely the way to go for spritework.

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:19 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Noxid said:
Have you considered the possibility that your brother has no idea what he's talking about?
Yep, but he never listens to me. I've been asking him if he could look into it and see if he could find out the problem. He's probably never gonna do it though.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Dunc2403 said:
Paint is not the best option by any means; don't listen to these guys. Try GraphicsGale.
True, It's not the best option, but it's quick and easy. I find myself using more time into GraphicsGale, so if you feel like taking less time and hurrying up, use Paint.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:52 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nobody likes Cave Editor's built-in editor... xD

Anyway, I don't really hate Paint, but I preferred the XP version than the one Windows 8 has.
Paint.net is quite good.
I will recommend Image Forge, though.
I used it to make many sprites, and I guess it's good. But it's only my opinion.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Graphics gale. Built for pixel art.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Doors said:
Don't ms paint like seriously
And why not?
MS Paint isn't bad, idiots just draw badly in it to make it look bad (like you do), when in reality, its
actually a really good program.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM
LSD
"..."
liammillay said:
And why not?
MS Paint isn't bad, idiots just draw badly in it to make it look bad (like you do), when in reality, its
It's good, but it's really not the best for any specific thing. Pixel art, which is specifically what people are looking for in this specific thread, isn't one of it's strong points. It's very possible to do, but there are plenty of other programs better suited to this topic.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:12 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
liammillay said:
And why not?
I'm sorry but it's not a good program
it is the absolute bare minimum required to even be called image manipulation software
I wouldn't say it's the worst, but restricting yourself to it will only limit your potential to be effective

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Kuro said:
It's good, but it's really not the best for any specific thing. Pixel art, which is specifically what people are looking for in this specific thread, isn't one of it's strong points. It's very possible to do, but there are plenty of other programs better suited to this topic.
Actually, i've USED it for pixel art, and its good for it.
I'm sorry but it's not a good program
it is the absolute bare minimum required to even be called image manipulation software
I wouldn't say it's the worst, but restricting yourself to it will only limit your potential to be effective
nah

Also, i made this in paint just to prove my point:
p187034-0-rxk2v6y.png

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
liammillay said:
p187034-0-rxk2v6y.png
I'm pretty sure this proves that "Paint sucks" more than it does your own point.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I'm sorry but you're not really selling me on it
I could make the exact same thing in Paint.NET except maybe in half the time since I'd have keyboard shortcuts

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I'm pretty sure this proves that "Paint sucks" more than it does your own point.
And how?

I'm sorry but you're not really selling me on it
I could make the exact same thing in Paint.NET except maybe in half the time since I'd have keyboard shortcuts
Ok, i dare you to. according to file modified dates, i made it in about 6 minutes.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
liammillay said:
Actually, i've USED it for pixel art, and its good for it.
nah

p187034-0-rxk2v6y.png

I use graphics gale and think if you use ms paint for serious art then you are making a wrong decision.

I made the following tilesets in Graphics Gale.

p115416-0-lqks9dl.png

p115416-1-atzhkmf.png

p115416-2-qh0e9ut.png

p115416-3-nwhloo6.png

Use Ms paint if you don't like customization grids, LAYERS, transparencies, color adjustment, grid based selections or onion skin for animating character sprites.

Status
Not open for further replies.