Iji

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The sentinel robot? You can fight it normally, it doesn't count as a kill because it's a machine. If you mean tips for fighting it anyway, uh... kick it? :toroko2:

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:56 AM
Professional Whatever
The real fun is getting sector 7's supercharge

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:23 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Please excuse the slight bump, I hope this isn't too egregious.

Doors said:
The real fun is getting sector 7's supercharge
The sector 7 supercharge is super fun. D:

I recently started a playthrough of Extreme with the hopes of getting the One Woman Army, Immortal and (optionally) Nanomaster achievements. Besides the fact that I wasn't aware that you can't get more than 3 points a sector and how much of a difficulty bump that is, I was seriously unprepared for how awful the bosses are - and defeating Proxima without using the electropads is definitely the most difficult supercharge in the game.

I died so many times to that thing, and the only reason I managed at all is that I got lucky and juggled it to death with MPFB shots. I'm glad, too, because Tor is going to require every point that I can reasonably get. I really should have done a pacifist Extreme run and a killer Normal run rather than the other way around - those who want to have a good time with Iji's enemies should probably plan before going into Extreme. o.o

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:54 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Polaris said:
and defeating Proxima without using the electropads is definitely the most difficult supercharge in the game.
Oh man, tell me about it. I tried to go for that supercharge during my most recent pacifistic run, but I just didn't have the firepower necessary to kill it. It probably would have been way more doable if I had more combat-oriented stats like Attack and Assimilate, though now that I think about it the Resonance Reflector could have helped at least a little whenever it shot MPFB shots.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:25 AM
Professional Whatever
You can reset your stats tho

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:18 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Doors said:
I don't think I figured that out until after I made it past Proxima.
Probably would have helped quite a bit, but oh well.

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:29 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Doors said:
And thank goodness for that! Nanofield Reboot is super useful for changing up one's playstyle on the fly. In fact, I have it to thank for beating Tor on Extreme today! :mrgreen:
diph.php

diph.php

My previous strategy of using the Velocithor and Spread Rockets between reflections clearly didn't work (like 40 times in a row, in fact), so I went with something new and decided on MPFB spam with 10 Attack instead of 5. Only God knows how many times I died just getting through Sector X with Tasen weapons and 10 Strength, but once I finally reached Tor with 60 MPFB ammo in hand I beat him on my first try with half the amount and only 5 HP lost in the fight~!

This wall of text is probably unnecessary, sorry, but I'm just really happy with my playing for once. :D

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:52 PM
hi hi
Nice one, Polar! Now, you need to try to play on Ultimortal, heh. Speaking of which, I'm pretty much stuck on Tor... His attacks seem so quick and powerful now (most likely because he is more... buffed), and I die before he is even halfway down. Plus, Asha is a pretty annoying midboss and makes me stressed because he takes too much time to defeat, and most of the time I have to use the checkpoint to survive.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:14 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Randolf said:
Nice one, Polar! Now, you need to try to play on Ultimortal, heh.
I was going to make a retort post saying that I'm not nearly skilled enough to beat Ultimortal, but then I...did. O.o
diph.php

I started and finished it earlier today, and I'm still not sure how exactly this transpired. In the morning I finished the Sudden Death Sectors, then realized that besides attaining Nanomaster I actually needed to face my greatest fear in this game and beat Ultimortal for the Null Driver. And besides the three attempts Proxima took, the three times that Asha killed me and two resets on Tor, it was...somewhat easier than I would have ever thought! I guess I got lucky. ~w~

Asha's a total nut to fight against, and like you I had to rely on the checkpoint for both attempts. I beat him on the second try with only two health remaining, and only had 3 minutes left when I was done with him. Then I was left with roughly a minute and a half after getting through the defense post with Annihilator Beta and only had one HP left, forcing me to somehow bum rush my way through the final area without taking a hit. It was probably the most stressful part of the run, and I think I only barely made it to Tor in time.

As for the man himself, after restarting twice for bad starts I managed to bring him to ~2/6 HP before taking a single hit! Of course, I was down to 10 by the time I actually killed him, but being able to take some damage made him much less of a hassle than in my Extreme run.

I'm probably never going to touch Turbo Mode, but I'm still really relieved that I managed to get past this. Now all I have left is a relaxed pacifist run to get Nanomaster and I can finally reach the Null Driver. :3

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:44 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Nice, Polaris! Takes quite a bit of work and effort to through it all, but I sure glad that you made it!

Its been awhile since I've played it last, but I still remember all the trouble and difficulty I had to go through on my Ultimortal run. I had to reset many of times to actually get through the mess, but I found it easier to me than Extreme, at least. Maybe because I had a timer to race against and had played through a myriad amount of times, but I mostly just got in and out of each sector asap. Only had trouble with asha once, as his speeds are simply ludicrous and that surviving a hit from them is very costly. Tor was a fun challenge to be had, especially since I had him on Max Charge to test both the limits of my skill and my hardware. Hardest part I remember from the fight was dodging the purple sparks in conjuction with missle spam and blue wave of death. Not very fun when you die the umpteth time against him just because you forgot to time those jumps right.

My main strategy with sudden death was basically to avoid everyone and thing, and to reset my stats constantly, so as to refill my armor. I also took advantage of using my reflector any chance I got to avoid my face getting hammer in by a plasma bolt.

If you want any advice for getting nanomaster, I suggest get to 10 crack really quick, and stealthing a lot of soldiers for them. Takes a lot of patience, but it gets you there pretty quickly if your quick with your fingers. Juking the turrents until they get tired and deactivate to crack them also works out really well too, if a bit risky.

Fun times await you, for them null driver is pretty sweet! All those skill points, and the power to distort the very fabric of space and time? Yes~.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:28 PM
Hoxtilicious
This is still one of my favorite games and I probably have beaten it numerous times but I was never tempted to complete the game 100% with all extras unlocked. It is just too much work for me.
Even a "one woman army" plus "immortal" run on normal would impress me, yet some of you are doing it on much higher difficulties.

Besides I don't think I will ever understand why people invest so much time to master a game or even play a game on a extremly high difficulty, so I can't add much to this conversation.
Back to playing Touhou it is for me then, I guess.

You shall not take the null driver as the hallucinations produced by it will lead to madness.

May 1, 2015 at 5:47 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
There's a Let's Play tumblr going on right now... Suggest what Iji should do next, in her pacifist run. Apparently there was one a long time ago that was a thing. And references to it even made it into a game Remar worked on.
http://alphastruck.tumblr.com/

It'll probably only be as good as the asks and suggests though, so feel free to contribute :]

On another note, looks like someone is attempting to port Iji to GameMaker 8...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/604978-iji/71574517?page=1

@С. П. Гардэбитэр -
Isn't Touhou supposed to be tough!?

I did beat this on ultimortal a while back... one of the games I was truly happy to 100%.
Now if I could just beat reallyjoel's dad...

May 1, 2015 at 2:32 PM
Hoxtilicious
X-Calibar said:
Isn't Touhou supposed to be tough!?
It was supposed to be a joke (not the Touhou thing, the other thing). :p

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:33 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Iji 1.7 got released. New things to discover, new endings, new weapons!? And ported to GameMaker 7, so should work on modern systems.
(Note if sound is glitchy, try lowering your audio device's sample rate.)

If you haven't played Iji before, this might be the time!
http://www.remar.se/daniel/index.php

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:08 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Ironically, this version actually seems to run a lot worse for me..!
but I've been meaning to replay IJI for a while now, this is the sign ive been waiting for it seems. I'm diggin the changes so far.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM
Professional Whatever
WHAT! More iji!
i have to play this immediately

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:37 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Ironically, this version actually seems to run a lot worse for me..!
but I've been meaning to replay IJI for a while now, this is the sign ive been waiting for it seems. I'm diggin the changes so far.
Did you try lowering the sample rate? I had it at 2 channel 24 bit, 192,000 Hz and the game seemed lagtastic. But bumping it to 16 bit, 48000 Hz did the trick for me.

WHAT! More iji!
i have to play this immediately
Just got one of the new endings... My oh my. So great replaying this again.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Did you try lowering the sample rate? I had it at 2 channel 24 bit, 192,000 Hz and the game seemed lagtastic. But bumping it to 16 bit, 48000 Hz did the trick for me.
I don't actually know how to do that. Like for my speakers?

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I don't actually know how to do that. Like for my speakers?
Yeah. Well for your sound card/audio device. Hm. I think most Windows versions can be changed the same way... If you have Windows 10, right click the volume icon on your status bar, on your desktop. Open up Playback Devices -> Playback -> Look for the one with the Green check mark -> right click that for properties -> Advanced -> Take note of what it's set on, and lower it if it's higher than 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality). Maybe lower it anyway! Just remember to turn it back up to 16 bit 48000 Hz for best compatibility.

If you can't find it, the same options can be found in the control panel. Just look for Audio stuff~ (Windows 8+ just type audio on the start menu).