How Stuff Works @ CS. XP, life caps, missiles

May 1, 2009 at 6:48 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
T-Jack said:
Nanobots. They're powered/replenished/whatever with "hearts" and they repair Quote. Why such poorly designed system? Look at Curly. She doesn't die, unless she drowns. Why? Because her nanobots work properly, they repair her without the need to replenish anything. Quote's probably got damaged or something. So why didn't Curly just pass some of hers to Quote? One word: Amnesia. You can't gove somebody something you don't know you have. So, yeah... *re-reads the post* I really need to stop doing that...
Then how does she get defeated by Quote in the Sand Zone?

May 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
rust45 said:
Then how does she get defeated by Quote in the Sand Zone?
I dunno. She probably gets too strained from all the beating. Or the 'bots can't repair her quickly enough, since Quote spams the living crap outta her.

May 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So if we go by Nanobots, we're not exactly sure about some of the details yet when you think shields we can fill in all the gaps. Also, how does a life capsule make the nanobots work more well?

May 2, 2009 at 2:10 AM
This Troper
Hey, I'm just offering alternate theories. I'm not saying "It's not shields", I'm saying "It might be nanobots". And "might" is the key word here. Since there are a million and one possible explanations and no official one to just about everything in the game means that noone can say "Hey, this theory is is true and the others are bullshit". Theories are the closest we can ever get to the truth, simply because there is no truth to get to. As MetaSeraphim once said:
MetaSeraphim said:
We are just throwing ideas at the wall and seeing which ones stick.
So you may go on your Holy Quest to seek out the True Truth of Truthiness, but I'm going to do only one thing here: throw ideas until I run out of them.

Capsules? They don't make the 'bots work more efficiently, they make Quote be able to take more damage. They probably contain a special material or what, that gives him some extra armor.

May 2, 2009 at 2:33 AM
T-Jack said:
Hey, I'm just offering alternate theories. I'm not saying "It's not shields", I'm saying "It might be nanobots". And "might" is the key word here. Since there are a million and one possible explanations and no official one to just about everything in the game means that noone can say "Hey, this theory is is true and the others are bullshit". Theories are the closest we can ever get to the truth, simply because there is no truth to get to. As MetaSeraphim once said:

So you may go on your Holy Quest to seek out the True Truth of Truthiness, but I'm going to do only one thing here: throw ideas until I run out of them.

Capsules? They don't make the 'bots work more efficiently, they make Quote be able to take more damage. They probably contain a special material or what, that gives him some extra armor.

Ok, I suppose I was being a little rude there, but it good to try to see which theories will make the most sense.

May 2, 2009 at 2:47 AM
This Troper
rust45 said:
Ok, I suppose I was being a little rude there, but it good to try to see which theories will make the most sense.
No problem. Well, anyway, IMO the "Shields" theory is the most plausible one here.

May 6, 2009 at 3:29 AM
In front of a computer
Agreed.

May 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
If I can throw another theory at the proverbial wall...
(Though, yes, I do like the sound of shields...)

Could it be that Quote IS a cybernetic organism, but not in the traditional sense.

What I mean is, could he have a synthetic muscle (Electroactive polymers) system attached to an inorganic but durable (steel, carbon fibre) "skeleton".
With this idea, the Life Capsules would be more akin to a kit with the materials needed to graft additonal EAP comonents on.
As the "muscle" mass increases, it becomes more durable (like a human).
As well, the Hearts could be similar to a fast-setting "glue" used to reattach or hold together pieces that've become damaged.

May 10, 2009 at 1:35 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DragonBoots said:
If I can throw another theory at the proverbial wall...
(Though, yes, I do like the sound of shields...)

Could it be that Quote IS a cybernetic organism, but not in the traditional sense.

What I mean is, could he have a synthetic muscle (Electroactive polymers) system attached to an inorganic but durable (steel, carbon fibre) "skeleton".
With this idea, the Life Capsules would be more akin to a kit with the materials needed to graft additonal EAP comonents on.
As the "muscle" mass increases, it becomes more durable (like a human).
As well, the Hearts could be similar to a fast-setting "glue" used to reattach or hold together pieces that've become damaged.
I had to read that 3 times before I understood it.:confused: Even with this proverbial boulder thrown at the proverbial wall, I agree with the whole "shields" bit. Maybe the life capsules are like little batteries that add more charge capacity (they come fully charged, after all).

May 10, 2009 at 1:44 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmm.

*Would like to hold to his theory that the whole thing's, in fact, just a video game*

=D

May 10, 2009 at 1:45 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
VoidMage_Lowell said:
*Would like to hold to his theory that the whole thing's, in fact, just a video game*

=D

I kinda like that one...:D

May 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM
This Troper
I don't like it. I don't want to sound rude, but it's a pretty lame attempt to not actually think about anything. Of course, it's somewhat acceptable here when we're talking about powerups (which are more of a gameplay mechanic than anything), but still abundant. This whole subforum wouldn't be here if everybody went with "Duh, it's a game. There's no logic in game." Yes, we know it's a game. Yes, we know that explains everything. No, it's not enough for us.

May 25, 2009 at 10:05 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
(Nice point. Using the Videogame argument is somewhat nukeful - it kills the fun. I'd say: keep the discussion at the point of: how would we make these power-ups available and working IRL?)

We could break down this into sereval smaller discussions. How does a Life Capsule work, how does an exp triangle crystal (what's their official name?) work, etc...

First, concerning eating enemy hearths to regain energy (kinda gross)...
1) the Hearth is a muscle.
2) What we call "meat" is muscles of dead organinsms
3) Eating e.g. meat (or flowers) gives you energy back
4) In-game energy is referred to as HP

We sum these up, and get:
= Eating hearths gives you HP back.

But how does a life capsule increase the maximum energy? I'll be back about this....

May 26, 2009 at 12:29 AM
Why does meat give energy to a robot? He would be damaged, not hungry. The hearts would have to be something that can repair metal and circuits, like nanobots, which has been discussed.
Also, the exp crystals are Doritos. This has been established. They power up your weapons because, well, who doesn't like Doritos? The answer: Nemesis.

May 26, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmp!

The videogame theory never nukes the argument, infact, it usually picks up after being used :D

May 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM
In Soviet Russia, forum nukes you!
That actually made some sort of sense. I'm impressed with myself.
Anyway, the life capsules are like steroids for the nanobots. They make them work better.

May 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM
This Troper
No. Quote's actually made of flesh and he needs flesh for the nanobots to repair him.

May 26, 2009 at 12:48 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Huh?

T-Jack said:
No. Quote's actually made of flesh and he needs flesh for the nanobots to repair him.
Huh? Flesh?
He looks metal-ish in all of the artworks and such....

May 26, 2009 at 12:50 AM
This Troper
Not the in-game ones. Also, that explains why does he die when he falls onto the spikes.

May 26, 2009 at 12:52 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Erm...

T-Jack said:
Not the in-game ones. Also, that explains why does he die when he falls onto the spikes.
I thought he died because he went ASPLODE whenever he touched the spikes....
Besides, I thought we agreed Quote was fully robotic, and not a Cyborg....