How do you save state?

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I'm rather sick of Sacred Grounds and the fact that every time I lose to Ballos I have to beat the whole level again.

I've heard there's a way to save state. How do you do it?

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:46 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
magic9mushroom said:
I've heard there's a way to save state. How do you do it?

You've heard wrong: there isn't a way to save state.

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:49 AM
"..."
How, then, do I hack a save point into the Seal Chamber?

Because spending 10 minutes or so getting up to Ballos every time I die feels like I'm being trolled.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
magic9mushroom said:

Because spending 10 minutes or so getting up to Ballos every time I die feels like I'm being trolled.

Someone shoop a Trollface onto all the enemies in a screenshot of Hell.

Hell is supposed to be really hard.

Google "TSearch". Learn to use it. It's a memory editor, which means you can take the program's little notepad that it uses to remember things, like Quote's health, and change the numbers. It's an invaluable cheating tool if you know what you're doing.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM
"..."
Schilcote said:

Hell is supposed to be really hard.

Removing a save point does not make something harder, it merely increases the amount of deaths and vastly increases the amount of time required.

For instance, if you can beat I Wanna Be The Guy on Medium, you can beat it on Impossible, your death count is just going to be several hundred to several million times higher (depending on how good you are).

I like "hard" (I've gotten about a third of the way through IWbtG), I don't like "having to repeat a level hundreds of times".

Hence why I'm asking.

Google "TSearch". Learn to use it. It's a memory editor, which means you can take the program's little notepad that it uses to remember things, like Quote's health, and change the numbers. It's an invaluable cheating tool if you know what you're doing.

Thanks. Can it do what I want, though?

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
magic9mushroom said:
Removing a save point does not make something harder, it merely increases the amount of deaths and vastly increases the amount of time required.

Well, by "Hard" I mean "Bragging Rights Reward".

magic9mushroom said:
Thanks. Can it do what I want, though?

No, it's impossible. Theoretically it could be done but there's all sorts of external pointers and such assorted nonsense that makes it impossible.

With TSearch, you could just hardlock your HP and make Quote permanently invulnerable.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM
"..."
Schilcote said:
Well, by "Hard" I mean "Bragging Rights Reward".

Hence why I don't want to make it easier, just less time-consuming.

No, it's impossible. Theoretically it could be done but there's all sorts of external pointers and such assorted nonsense that makes it impossible.

Ah. Crud.

With TSearch, you could just hardlock your HP and make Quote permanently invulnerable.

But I don't want to do that. I want to beat Ballos properly. I just don't particularly want to drudge through Sacred Ground again every time I die.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dec 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
You could also use Cave Editor to add a save point.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:54 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well you could make an item that lets you save but I doubt it would work well since it would fuck up the flags and if you saved right before your death you'd become permantently dead, temporarily.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Schilcote said:
diph.php

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Dec 26, 2010 at 1:00 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Dec 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
You can do what I did: Download the 'Boss Rush' Cave Story mod and practice on Ballos until I got good enough to beat him every time.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:29 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
That's what I did, but it didn't solve the problem of really low health when you're facing Ballos. It's pretty tempting to max out all your weapons before facing him when using Boss Rush, too.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Go through SLOWLY.

Besides this it becomes a matter of skill D:

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:53 AM
"..."
sinophile said:
You can do what I did: Download the 'Boss Rush' Cave Story mod and practice on Ballos until I got good enough to beat him every time.

This is what I did, and it worked a treat.

Thanks to everyone for your help, even the ones I didn't use.

CurlyBrace said:
That's what I did, but it didn't solve the problem of really low health when you're facing Ballos. It's pretty tempting to max out all your weapons before facing him when using Boss Rush, too.

Well, there's the exploit between B2 and B3 that allows you to get back to max health there, and if you play cautiously through B3 you can usually get up to Ballos with 35+ health left (especially if you deface the statues).

And the only weapons I used against Ballos were the Spur and Super Missiles, and the latter was only to short-circuit the last form. It's fairly easy to get enough XP to max out the Super Missiles if you grab most of the XP that appears (the Mesas are particularly lucrative).

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:00 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
magic9mushroom said:

...REALLY!? You considered hacking the game to beat Ballos? Shame on you! :(

Hahaha! only kidding. No, I was in your shoes once, considering taking that step. But you just don't feel the great joy and satisfaction of beating the game normally...

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM
"..."
whyme said:
...REALLY!? You considered hacking the game to beat Ballos? Shame on you! :(

Hahaha! only kidding. No, I was in your shoes once, considering taking that step. But you just don't feel the great joy and satisfaction of beating the game normally...

No, I considered hacking the game to save time. After all, it's not like a save point actually changes whether you can beat something or not. See my earlier comments about IWbtG.

Joy and satisfaction? That'll come when I beat Ballos without short-circuiting the last form.