Heaven and Hell - CANCELLED

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:07 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Heaven and Hell
CANCELLED
Due to a mistake that I made in crediting a group of Japanese users, resulting in allegations of plagiarism, and due to the fact that this mod is viewed generally with distaste, I am cancelling it until further notice.
Release Notes:

Demo 1
  • First release.
  • Added "Exploding Star" hack.
  • Added start through end of Moria.
  • Added first ending (the Void Ending).
Demo 2
  • Fixed bugs from previous demo.
  • Reworked Moria area.
  • New music, art, sprites, and more!
  • Added the Avalon City chapter.
  • SAVES FROM DEMO ONE ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DEMO TWO.
Download Link v1.0

Download Link v2.0

Screenshots:
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png

Special Thanks To:
  • Ursarig- my boyfriend; sprite work.
  • Randolf- "Exploding Star" hack.
  • As-yet Unidentified Japanese Modders- sprites, maps, and art.
  • TPCool- reviewed most of the new music.
  • Noxid- IMG hack
  • GirAKAcheezer- "Death Egg" music (for Avalon City).
  • QuoteHax- art, facepics.
  • Iron Bird Story (author unknown)- A Japanese mod from which I used multiple maps and sprites.
  • Super Chelmsford Story (author unknown)- A Japanese mod from which I reworked sprites and tiles to fit into existing Cave Story tilesets.

Special Note:
There are a few references to third party material in this game. It's a bit of a spoiler, so...
Iroh, the Dragon of the West, is from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Moria is a dwarf mine in The Lord of the Rings.
Shin Kazama, the name of the main character, is the name of the protagonist of the anime Area 88.
Jinora, Shin's mother, is the name of a character from The Legends of Korra.
Avalon Dam is a location in Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
Police Chief Beifong is a character in The Legends of Korra.
Davros the Inventor and his Dalek MkI are inspired by the BBC TV series Doctor Who.

Music:
Several music tracks are based off of actual songs.
Leaves From the Vine - Title Screen - originally from Avatar: The Last Airbender
He's a Pirate - Puu Black's Theme - orginally from Pirates of the Carribean
Your Song - Elton John
Do You Hear the People Sing? - Les Miserables
We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister

There are a few songs by the Beatles as well.
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Something
Octopus' Garden

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:08 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Great little demo you have there!

I hope to see alot from this mod in the future, If you need help with anything- PM me and I can do, Beta drums, A little bit of music, Level Design, and Graphics mind you.

Three things?
p194444-0-zvke4hz.png

p194444-1-p5ewqmc.png

p194444-2-4hvxxct.png

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:50 AM
Dude, can I use those? Those are amazing.

EDIT:

BTW, you may not have noticed, but Puu Black is actually the Igor boss, not Balrog. You will fight him as both a Balrog-type boss and as the Igor type boss, however.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:26 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
p194446-0-foabfbn.png

Okay, to start off, the music is jarring. I assume this is from your remix project thing, which was pretty hit-or-miss. I do appreciate the fact that you did change most of the music, but it doesn't sound as good nor does it transition as well as the original.

p194446-1-6kpsahs.png

His facepic doesn't represent the changes in the game but you might already know that. Also, really nitpicky note, but the text can be spread out more in this particular textbox to save space.

p194446-2-h9dxt70.png

i don't get it

p194446-3-jamz1ey.png

I have to say, while I really liked the design of the first section, having the second part (pictured) spammed with critters feels lazy.

p194446-4-i3wwz0c.png

Very odd coming out a different side from where I left.

p194446-5-sx08nfl.png

The section that's pictured is fun, especially with the upgraded Polar Star.

p194446-6-kprz9bo.png

Okay, I am torn. While the sparkles was a REALLY DICK MOVE and basically forces you to get damaged, the concept is really neat and I've never seen something like it in a mod before.

p194446-7-24i7vep.png

oh cool this is neat

p194446-8-zuhzpit.png

Did Puu originally have that animation? I don't remember, but it looks good.

p194446-9-1jcnjwa.png

uuuuuhhhhhhh what the fuck

p194446-10-x1tp0pt.png

i like the idea of descending as a level, but boy this difficulty curve

p194446-11-ooraxdh.png

Okay, having died many times in the Big Cave/Spike area, this fake block "puzzle" is extremely irritating. Either put a save point after you enter the door, or better yet, make a better puzzle that requires some thinking.

p194446-12-1pfbcsc.png

Probably the only tiling error I've seen : o

p194446-13-vnythyh.png

Okay, so would I have been unable to enter this area without the key? I just got it because it caught my eye and I was curious, but man that is really tough to get coming out of the First Cave area. Again, difficulty curve.

p194446-14-ivgjvct.png

wow Enlightened i never knew

p194446-15-wxtkxoz.png

i don't know why but this is really funny

p194446-16-fa7zicc.png

You must've forgot to put an event if you fall all the way down.
Overall: this is middle-of-the-road (maybe above average), but a breath of fresh air after many of the bad mods I have played recently. The level design was competent and even fun in many areas, but was slightly hampered by enemy spam and fake block puzzles. The scripting was very well done, and besides the last picture I posted, I don't think I noticed any errors. I don't know if I even reached the end, but I didn't want to backtrack again after I beat the guy in the house. If there was content after that point and I did have to backtrack to reach it, I would label that as an issue. Good job with this, it was better than I expected!

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:34 AM
Tpcool said:
p194446-0-foabfbn.png

Okay, to start off, the music is jarring. I assume this is from your remix project thing, which was pretty hit-or-miss. I do appreciate the fact that you did change most of the music, but it doesn't sound as good nor does it transition as well as the original.

p194446-1-6kpsahs.png

His facepic doesn't represent the changes in the game but you might already know that. Also, really nitpicky note, but the text can be spread out more in this particular textbox to save space.

p194446-2-h9dxt70.png

i don't get it

p194446-3-jamz1ey.png

I have to say, while I really liked the design of the first section, having the second part (pictured) spammed with critters feels lazy.

p194446-4-i3wwz0c.png

Very odd coming out a different side from where I left.

p194446-5-sx08nfl.png

The section that's pictured is fun, especially with the upgraded Polar Star.

p194446-6-kprz9bo.png

Okay, I am torn. While the sparkles was a REALLY DICK MOVE and basically forces you to get damaged, the concept is really neat and I've never seen something like it in a mod before.

p194446-7-24i7vep.png

oh cool this is neat

p194446-8-zuhzpit.png

Did Puu originally have that animation? I don't remember, but it looks good.

p194446-9-1jcnjwa.png

uuuuuhhhhhhh what the fuck

p194446-10-x1tp0pt.png

i like the idea of descending as a level, but boy this difficulty curve

p194446-11-ooraxdh.png

Okay, having died many times in the Big Cave/Spike area, this fake block "puzzle" is extremely irritating. Either put a save point after you enter the door, or better yet, make a better puzzle that requires some thinking.

p194446-12-1pfbcsc.png

Probably the only tiling error I've seen : o

p194446-13-vnythyh.png

Okay, so would I have been unable to enter this area without the key? I just got it because it caught my eye and I was curious, but man that is really tough to get coming out of the First Cave area. Again, difficulty curve.

p194446-14-ivgjvct.png

wow Enlightened i never knew

p194446-15-wxtkxoz.png

i don't know why but this is really funny

p194446-16-fa7zicc.png

You must've forgot to put an event if you fall all the way down.
Overall: this is middle-of-the-road (maybe above average), but a breath of fresh air after many of the bad mods I have played recently. The level design was competent and even fun in many areas, but was slightly hampered by enemy spam and fake block puzzles. The scripting was very well done, and besides the last picture I posted, I don't think I noticed any errors. I don't know if I even reached the end, but I didn't want to backtrack again after I beat the guy in the house. If there was content after that point and I did have to backtrack to reach it, I would label that as an issue. Good job with this, it was better than I expected!
Thank you for pointing this out. Yes, you do have to backtrack all the way.

After you defeat Ravil, it tells you that you need to go back from where you came in from. In the next update, I may have Fuyuhiko meet you in that little area instead of all the way back at the Moria Shrine, where you're supposed to meet him. You can NOT enter that area if you do not have the key. Cthulu sends you back to the top :D If you walk right after beating Iroh, you can talk to Cthulu again and he teleports you to the top. The purpose of spamming the critters is to make people take things slower, rather than just pummeling past enemies. I will fix that fall event as well. The music is a temporary place holder that I threw together. That bit about the Enlightened One is foreshadowing, and is NOT a reference to Ballos. And the reason that I have the fake-block "puzzle" being so difficult is so that people get pissed off and give up rather than to continue trying. It all has a purpose. When you backtrack (if you decide to go all the way back) then talk to the "There's nothing here." script again.

Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Huh. I decided to check out the list of total downloads just out of curiosity, but I'm slightly confused. It says there was only one download. I know I did a test download myself, and two people so far have made posts saying they played it. Stupid Mediafire.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:41 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
SuperJaws100 said:
And the reason that I have the fake-block "puzzle" being so difficult is so that people get pissed off and give up rather than to continue trying. It all has a purpose.
uh, isn't that the exact opposite of having a purpose?? i mean no offense or anything, but i thought you wanted people to play your mod, not to quit because of a tedious puzzle. the fact that this was the reasoning behind it baffles me.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:45 AM
Tpcool said:
uh, isn't that the exact opposite of having a purpose?? i mean no offense or anything, but i thought you wanted people to play your mod, not to quit because of a tedious puzzle. the fact that this was the reasoning behind it baffles me.
I meant give up on the puzzle, not the mod. The puzzle is non-mandatory for completion. Obviously, you are much more used to going places because you're more experienced, but not everyone will keep trying after they keep dying and such.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:53 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
SuperJaws100 said:
I meant give up on the puzzle, not the mod. The puzzle is non-mandatory for completion. Obviously, you are much more used to going places because you're more experienced, but not everyone will keep trying after they keep dying and such.
Oh, that makes much more sense! I actually didn't even know that part wasn't mandatory until just now. I guess I should've known from the crown being the ultimate objective : p
That at least makes it more excusable but it's still a bad puzzle nonetheless. You can still create a good puzzle while retaining the results you desire.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:04 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Maybe there is light on the other side (heaven reference)! I tried out the mod and I'm really amazed by how well-designed the levels are and how well-made the scripting is (something that some recent mods have been lacking of). I couldn't really find much glitches afaik, and the enemy spam is actually pretty fun to mess around with when using the Level 3 exploding star. Keep up with the good work! :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:03 PM
I am beginning part two today! I will be editing the early stages and fixing the aforementioned errors.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Your mod is quite difficult. But the story is good, continue to develop I can not wait for the sequel.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:43 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
This was fun. It was a little slow, fighting those enemies, but you did have that ridiculous weapon (awesome)! Fun to hit enemies all across the screen when the position is just right...
Nice immediate impression with this mod. Good Heaven/Hell remix of uh... (was it pier walk?) That was cool lol.
The surprising cast caught me off guard... Wasn't expecting to see everyone... :D

Story-wise, I'm on the fence with a decision of how it is... It's not bad! Nice to be on a different side for a change. (We'll see how long that lasts!)
Presentation-wise, looking good.
Gameplay was my favorite part though. Not too long to be tedious, just the right amount to introduce you to the difficulty level you'll be dealing with. (probably?) Though, that optional area for the fireball is WAY higher, though it's all platforming skill. I didn't have an issue fortunately, and that made it thrilling; so close to dying SO many times. And that one part that was a leap of faith. But, I can imagine others going crazy not realizing that it is optional content? Maybe...
Does that mean later in the game you might face even TOUGHER platforming sections? That will be... interesting.

Oh, I actually got lost a little in the caves. Not sure if that was intentional, but after you leave the first critter section, and suddenly appear on the left side of the screen... (that threw me off too); there's that door opening you can't enter, pass that... I headed right, and thought I'd returned to the first area's door to the spawn point, but with the map changed a little. (The entrance to Moria shrine again (It's pretty tiny?!))

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but that area looked similar to me, and I didn't try going in at first. Instead, the thought crossed my mind that it was a trick; and if I went in, I'd end up looping or returning to the start, like some kind of constantly changing maze. (Paranoia getting to me!)

... Ignore that if it's just me. lol.

And as for the fake block sections... I think they aren't an issue? It's just we never deal with them, and not being able to see where you are can be frustrating. Jumping and hitting the roof actually was the easiest way to keep track of where you were...

BTW That instant death door... lol. GLAD I saved. I was lazy saving up to that point... Whew...

Oh yeah, I had a hard time figuring out what the initial weapon was from the graphic... It's a wand right? I forgot to check the description now that I think about it.
Anyway, keep up the good work. I was quite entertained and would like to see more!

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:23 PM
X-Calibar said:
This was fun. It was a little slow, fighting those enemies, but you did have that ridiculous weapon (awesome)! Fun to hit enemies all across the screen when the position is just right...
Nice immediate impression with this mod. Good Heaven/Hell remix of uh... (was it pier walk?) That was cool lol.
The surprising cast caught me off guard... Wasn't expecting to see everyone... :D

Story-wise, I'm on the fence with a decision of how it is... It's not bad! Nice to be on a different side for a change. (We'll see how long that lasts!)
Presentation-wise, looking good.
Gameplay was my favorite part though. Not too long to be tedious, just the right amount to introduce you to the difficulty level you'll be dealing with. (probably?) Though, that optional area for the fireball is WAY higher, though it's all platforming skill. I didn't have an issue fortunately, and that made it thrilling; so close to dying SO many times. And that one part that was a leap of faith. But, I can imagine others going crazy not realizing that it is optional content? Maybe...
Does that mean later in the game you might face even TOUGHER platforming sections? That will be... interesting.

Oh, I actually got lost a little in the caves. Not sure if that was intentional, but after you leave the first critter section, and suddenly appear on the left side of the screen... (that threw me off too); there's that door opening you can't enter, pass that... I headed right, and thought I'd returned to the first area's door to the spawn point, but with the map changed a little. (The entrance to Moria shrine again (It's pretty tiny?!))

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but that area looked similar to me, and I didn't try going in at first. Instead, the thought crossed my mind that it was a trick; and if I went in, I'd end up looping or returning to the start, like some kind of constantly changing maze. (Paranoia getting to me!)

... Ignore that if it's just me. lol.

And as for the fake block sections... I think they aren't an issue? It's just we never deal with them, and not being able to see where you are can be frustrating. Jumping and hitting the roof actually was the easiest way to keep track of where you were...

BTW That instant death door... lol. GLAD I saved. I was lazy saving up to that point... Whew...

Oh yeah, I had a hard time figuring out what the initial weapon was from the graphic... It's a wand right? I forgot to check the description now that I think about it.
Anyway, keep up the good work. I was quite entertained and would like to see more!
Hmm.... in the next update, I will make it obvious that you don't need to go through the gigantic cave by adding a sign at that intersection in the second area. The reason why you were confused is because the first area (the Ruins) is divided into two- the bottom half is the first place you enter and the upper half is the place you enter after the Moria Mines.

The reason why I purposely made the directions you enter into areas with a little wonky is to emphasize that the characters live in a 3D world that we are not seeing because of perspective. As you progress through a level you could be moving through any number of perspectives. It's not necessarily important to this mod, but it's an important concept to remember.

The weapon is a wand.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Demo 2.0 is here!

Added many things, including new areas, music, art, and more!

EDIT:

Almost forgot. I cannot stress this enough.

SAVES FROM DEMO ONE CANNOT BE CARRIED OVER.

SEVERAL IMPORTANT FLAGS WILL NOT BE SET.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:21 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

This is one of the best mods I've played in a while, but no mod is without its fair share of bugs and other issues.

• If you choose not to check up on your parents and get on the bus, (or whatever it's called. I forgot.) a message telling you that you need to check up on your parents appears, along with an event number. You then get on the bus,(which I can assume isn't supposed to happen) and if you exit the bus you are sent back to the normal city.
  • The Mimiga in the police station are in front of the bars, as opposed to behind them.
  • The Dalek boss is way too easy to beat if you're using the Divine Blade.
  • Do not use <KEY when there's enemies nearby. Use <PRI instead, it prevents anything from bumping into you while you're inspecting something.

Now with that out of the way, here's what I loved about the mod.

• The plot is engaging
  • The music is fantastic (beside the Gestation track, which I didn't really care for)
  • You used the exploding star hack from Booster's Lab
  • The death of the parents gave me some unexpected feels and made me truly question if what I was doing was right.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this and I can't wait for the next demo. I hope that this mod doesn't die like Wind Story.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:33 AM
This is one of the best mods I've played in a while, but no mod is without its fair share of bugs and other issues.

• If you choose not to check up on your parents and get on the bus, (or whatever it's called. I forgot.) a message telling you that you need to check up on your parents appears, along with an event number. You then get on the bus,(which I can assume isn't supposed to happen) and if you exit the bus you are sent back to the normal city.
  • The Mimiga in the police station are in front of the bars, as opposed to behind them.
  • The Dalek boss is way too easy to beat if you're using the Divine Blade.
  • Do not use <KEY when there's enemies nearby. Use <PRI instead, it prevents anything from bumping into you while you're inspecting something.

Now with that out of the way, here's what I loved about the mod.

• The plot is engaging
  • The music is fantastic (beside the Gestation track, which I didn't really care for)
  • You used the exploding star hack from Booster's Lab
  • The death of the parents gave me some unexpected feels and made me truly question if what I was doing was right.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this and I can't wait for the next demo. I hope that this mod doesn't die like Wind Story.

Seeing as there were eighteen downloads in the course of two hours today, this mod will definitely continue. However, I am taking a little break. I might make a minimod or two. SOLs and exams start soon so I'll be very busy and won't be able to really pick it up again until the start of Summer. Thanks for your input!

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:25 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This mod is great, my only problem was that I reset twice to get the alien medal while fighting ironhead, and then realized it wasn't obtainable... but that is more my fault than the mod's.

May 2, 2015 at 8:53 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I just played this for my stream.
It wasn't fun.

May 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM
Silverpaw19 said:
I just played this for my stream.
It wasn't fun.
What makes you say that?

Just putting down "It wasn't fun." without any reasons why doesn't make for constructive criticism.