Getting Myself Ready For Speedrunning

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:55 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
So, I've gotten a bit interested in speedrunning lately. Watched some tutorials videos, some speedruns of Cave Story (freeware) and I tought "Maybe I could try that out, I mean, it seems fun". So, I'll be grabbing my timer in some days, I'll do a test run before really trying to speedrun it and I can hopefully get a nice time. But before I start, I want to ask you, how do I get really prepared? I know some tricks, but they're well known and I want to know about the ones that save more time, but are unknown. I know the Egg Corridor bee Igor cutscene skip, I know that if I open and close my inventory, my invincibility frames reset, so I can get a little jump boost from enemies. Also, which version should I play on? Japanese or English? One last thing before I close this thread: do you know any programs or games that can make you learn how to press buttons faster? I'm still a bit slow on speeding through text with Z and X.

I didn't really know where to put this thread, so please move it if it shouldn't be here.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:07 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Use the japanese version, since Kanji condenses the words into a smaller number of characters.
When advancing text, hold down one of the buttons so that the text can go as fast as it can, and then spam the other key to get past the <NOD's (pauses).
It may be better to practise one map at a time, playing it through over and over until you are satisfied, then proceed to the next one. Otherwise you will just get good at first cave and playing the last portions will be basically like playing cave story normally.
Get used to completing it with fewer life capsules, as at several points it takes too much time to grab them.
Other than that it just takes months of practice to get good.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:25 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Use the japanese version, since Kanji condenses the words into a smaller number of characters.
When advancing text, hold down one of the buttons so that the text can go as fast as it can, and then spam the other key to get past the <NOD's (pauses).
It may be better to practise one map at a time, playing it through over and over until you are satisfied, then proceed to the next one. Otherwise you will just get good at first cave and playing the last portions will be basically like playing cave story normally.
Get used to completing it with fewer life capsules, as at several points it takes too much time to grab them.
Other than that it just takes months of practice to get good.
Thanks! I still have to practice Hell since I only beated it some months ago. It'll take a long time, but I hope I can at least try this.