General music sharing/discussion thread

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nice. Reminds me of the #GoodOldDays when dubstep was first becoming popular.

Anyway I guess I'll match yours with something equally dubby:

Kind of a nice fusion between liquid and old school dubstep, it's pretty chill to boot.
Gets really nice about a minute in. Both piano solos are played by him, too, he's a pro jazz pianist.

What I actually came here to post is a rave review about Hidden Orchestra's new album, Archipelago.
Hidden Orchestra is a band that makes music with varying levels of Orchestral and electronic levels, always really soothing. They're all analogue in the Orchestral department, and play amazing live concerts. I dig this whole album, and I never dig whole albums.

A More Orchestral Piece:

A More Electronic Piece:

Edit: wrong second song, not very electronic at all.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:19 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I really wanna go back and look at cult's vids because he has impeccable taste in music but since I only have a second today

This was going through my head in repeat all throughout my morning exam yesterday. Surprised I didn't get kicked out for humming it at some points.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
A-maz-ing stuff... right?

Okay then, what's next? How about this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lElsTT-YfQ

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
A friend of mine posted this on facebook a while back. It's a good one. Chill, relaxing, and energizing.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@Carrotlord - nice... Now I know why you had CT avatars not long ago xD
A friend of mine posted this on facebook a while back. It's a good one. Chill, relaxing, and energizing.
Oh, wow didn't know you could post a playlist... Nice.

A general comment on the music posted so far : Haven't heard any of these before... Am enjoying it.
Quite a few chill songs too... Good ambiance. Different than what I usually listen to.

Also, wanted to stray from the vocaloid topic just to post a few songs since I don't think too many people listen to it? So a few examples and I'll be satisfied xD

Touhou Vocaloid music (festive style?)

Matchless Venus Condition (electronic style)

No vocals, but a classical instrumental of an original vocaloid song

^might edit the third song to something else later, but gotta gooo

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM
@X-Calibar: I dig! I especially like the first one, but then again I'm a sucker for compound meters.

I'm also a sucker for low notes:

And since we had something more on the classical side, here's this one. I like it enough that I wrote a paper about it this semester. BTW, the piece is about the death of Superman.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
What happened to all/most of the old posts in this thread? All the embedded youtube videos got turned into that string used in the URL to identify the video (ex. nuzBS8sg57I).

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:23 AM
Vexare has been one of my favorite EDM artists since I first heard his "Clockmaker." Check it out. Just about anything he touches is auditory gold.

But recently (i.e. since yesterday) I can't get enough of this one. The contrasts between the sparser sections and the drops are just mind blowing.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM
"Huzzah!"

Aha! I figured out how to work the tube links! SUCCESS! :mrgreen:

Note: If anyone wants to know how, get rid of everything before the number. Meaning, get rid of this "youtube.com/watch?v=" and then just put the following number inside of the youtube link, not the entire link.
It'll look like this: (youtube)ski6AYbfU-A(/youtube) except with these brackets of course "[" "]"

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Oh man this has been a long time coming, can't wait for the release.

Something tells me Mosaic has already heard this, but, you know.
As always, 720 for the best audio.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:31 PM
This thread has been far too quiet of late.

I shared an older version of this thread somewhere else. I think it may have been in the "Rate the Music..." thread. I didn't realized that there was a revamped version of this piece, and I can't decide which one I like better. Maybe I don't have to.

Here's the newer version:

Compare to the older version, if you like:

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
This is still my favourite new song

EDIT: Even though it's apparently about 18 months old already

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Does ambient sounds count?

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM
It's all good in my book. And those water sounds are very ASMR-ey.

A jam to which I recently jammed.

Am I the only one who listens to music anymore? No? I'm just the only one who feels like sharing it in this thread? Oh, ok then.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nice songs, Mosaic

@ CSTSF R&B fans - let's discuss R&B: what do you think about "modern" R&B? I grew up listing to R&B and it feels that some artists are just making less quality songs today.

Compare this good old song:

With "girl on fire". I might be really in a bad position criticising such a popular song, but I think it's just "yelling" the same line over and over again to a rhythm which fails to impress (at least me). I respect every opinion on the contrary, but I just can't wait when she stops yelling (it's what she does) that one line and shut up lol.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
trickybilly said:
Nice songs, Mosaic

@ CSTSF R&B fans - let's discuss R&B: what do you think about "modern" R&B? I grew up listing to R&B and it feels that some artists are just making less quality songs today.

Compare this good old song:

With "girl on fire". I might be really in a bad position criticising such a popular song, but I think it's just "yelling" the same line over and over again to a rhythm which fails to impress (at least me). I respect every opinion on the contrary, but I just can't wait when she stops yelling (it's what she does) that one line and shut up lol.

I used to listen to a lot of R & B on the radio, then starting moving away from that when I hit my teen years (ironically).

I never want to jump straight to conclusions and say that all R&B/mainstream music is automatically bad, but from what I hear on the radio nowadays, it just seems like instrumentals and smaller, lesser known artists are the way to go. After all, you can only put up with so many songs that concern people unable to express their love/want to make love and all that stuff I can barely relate to.

"Girl on Fire" is an okay song; I've actually never heard it in its entirety. Alicia Keys has better music than that, though. I don't know. I guess I do believe mainstream music is in a bit of a decline.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Random-storykeeper said:
I used to listen to a lot of R & B on the radio, then starting moving away from that when I hit my teen years (ironically).

I never want to jump straight to conclusions and say that all R&B/mainstream music is automatically bad, but from what I hear on the radio nowadays, it just seems like instrumentals and smaller, lesser known artists are the way to go. After all, you can only put up with so many songs that concern people unable to express their love/want to make love and all that stuff I can barely relate to.

"Girl on Fire" is an okay song; I've actually never heard it in its entirety. Alicia Keys has better music than that, though. I don't know. I guess I do believe mainstream music is in a bit of a decline.
The best thing with those lesser known artists is that you don't hear them on the radio everyday, which you'll learn to appreciate when you are at a workplace. I don't care how amazing Smooth Criminal is, if you keep playing it everyday it gets stale fast.
Taking that in account, most of the stuff i hear on the radio is just absoutely bland music that i wouldn't throw a penny at in the first place, hammering it in everyday isn't going to change my mind. Don't get me wrong here, Girl on Fire isn't bland at all but they just kept playing it all the time and i quickly grew apathetic of it, just like the rest of the radio stuff.

There is one recent track that i absolutely despise, and that is Blurred Lines. Oh god, seriously screw that. The lyrics are the absolute nadir i've ever experienced, you could rename it to the White Trash Anthem and you'd have the same effect. I'm not a hardcore feminist, but i'd at least consider women to be above the level of dickslots.

...More on topic, i've listened to quite a few of ambient music tracks. Right now this is my favorite:

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hey, that sounds nice! I've never heard the song "Blurred Lines" before, except for users on Tumblr criticizing how poorly thought out its lyrics are.

Mostly I just listen to game music ^^;. That, and a bunch of ORG files I can download from the music forum on this site. XD I'll just share one of the soundtracks I enjoy listening to at the moment. It has a great heavy beat.

http://billkiley.bandcamp.com/album/pause-ahead-ost-side-a