every cave story multiplayer

May 16, 2023 at 12:29 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
1- CSswitch
2- Doukutsu-rsis a custom engine recreation.
works with any cave story data
3- Rain's DS port is based on CSE2 and open source. (binarys are ok to distribute)
coop guide is in the link
but if you want to run it on emulator use melonDS (tow windows on same pc)
4- cave story multiplayer (Clay's Multiplayer) is CSE2 but closed source .
5- cave story online buy CuckyDev (Cucky's CSO) is custom engine made in Love2D.
here is a guide on how to use it
https://forum.cavestory.org/threads/multiplayer-game.15315/#post-375028 (edited)
6 NetX-Engine . That's NxEngine modified with net stuff.

[thx enlight for the note]

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:38 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Cave Story Multiplayer isn't CSE2. I believe it used the source code as reference when recreating it but it was otherwise 100% recreated from the ground up

does doukutsu-rs really have multiplayer support?? I forgot

May 25, 2023 at 4:34 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
sure go parsec with a friend

May 25, 2023 at 6:53 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Cave Story Multiplayer isn't CSE2.
It is (unless there was a total restart I'm not aware of but I highly doubt it with 95% certainty), Clay Hansen just avoids mentioning it. It's heavily modified but built on top of CSE2 and he purposefully doesn't include the licenses for whatever reason.
does doukutsu-rs really have multiplayer support?? I forgot
It has CSswitch style local play, even supporting the CSswitch exclusive TSC commands for dealing with the 2nd player in cutscenes (but of course, you'd need to legally dump your switch data to have the scripts that include those). Works out of the box with whatever freeware mod data you give it though (cutscenes might just be a bit weird because there's two players that can trigger stuff now).

It includes a character picker for Player 2 ala CSswitch but does not implement the ability to "unlock" skins (it just enables anything in the MyChar). The android port does not have it enabled nor gamepad support at the moment. There is no netplay (at least at the moment).

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 12:55 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It is (unless there was a total restart I'm not aware of but I highly doubt it with 95% certainty), Clay Hansen just avoids mentioning it. It's heavily modified but built on top of CSE2 and he purposefully doesn't include the licenses for whatever reason.
Ah, I see, I don't know much about CSMP admittedly but I thought I had heard from somewhere that it was a complete remake, thanks for correcting me 1685058064194.png

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cave Story multiplayer can lead to some insane shenanigans from my experience. I remember the a good group of us had a session in one of the CS discord servers and we had people die multiple times inside Grasstown's red spike pits and other struggling to fish them out, only for THEM to die as well. It was hilarious.
I'm actually surprised how stable they are all things considered. Not really had any desync issues with them.

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:22 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"