Dear everyone ever: Stop using Skype

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
P sure that most IRC clients do have auto logging. Unless you're using a web client or something.

Anywayyyyy...uhh..I'm not sure what to say about this. Skype is shite and does get worse with each update but ultimately it's the most convenient (as far as I know) form of IM/video/voice chatting. Last time I used oovoo it was just as ad-ridden, if not worse. And I'd rather not travel back into the stone age and yell at AIM or MSN as my voice call gets disconnected. Aaaaand IRC hasn't been good since 2011 at least.

So yeah I'm staying put for now. Unless you guys find something that is decent. (I'm glad I can contact Noxid in other ways :v)

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Maybe we can petition Microsoft to at least make Skype better?

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Bionicobot said:
Maybe we can petition
Petitions don't work. If you want to effectively campaign for something then you can't take shortcuts.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:25 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Mumble works pretty well for voice chats. I use it when playing TF2.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:39 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
your voice is majestic

but yeah, despite skype's faults, it does have more pros than cons
+ everyone is on there always
so yeah idk

looking for a replacement is redundant and we all know that

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:29 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
There was a new Skype update a few days back. It basically makes it look like a mobile app that was stretched to be slightly larger and was thrown onto a computer screen. It's fucking hideous and I completely agree with this thread now. I sadly do not know of any less shitty alternatives, but I'll take pretty much everything over whatever the hell they did to Skype.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Guess I didn't get that update, it still looks fine to me.

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:21 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You'll get it sooner or later

Ok, so, it's not too hard to find a good IM service. That's easy.
As far as I see it, your choices are: adopt IRC, or try Jabber. I'm willing to run a Jabber server for anyone on the CSTSF as I have a dedicated machine that doesn't do much.

If you want voice calls, well it's not so easy. My personal recommendation is Mumble; I might be able to run a server for it as well although that might push my bandwidth to its limits. As well, some people can't into computers have experienced difficulty with its interface. Otherwise, you can:
- look at some of the options here like TOX or the Razr thing (mac users don't matter anyway amirite)
- find a different service
- don't bother with voice it's dumb anyway

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:36 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think Jabber's a viable option. I mean, voice isn't really necessary. It's nice, but the whole thing would run just as well without it imo.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:10 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Ill try and set it up

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:35 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Good luck, and thank you very much. If you do this, I suppose it's only right of me to try it if I can.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:07 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
someone join the irc channel so I can guide you through connecting so I can know if the server works
never mind, I got shose to do it
anyway, the jabber server seems to work fine. I'll write up some instructions on connecting to it tomorrow.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I really dont even use skype anymore. Not that i used it much before, though.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
OK kids, here's my quick n dirty guide to joining an XMPP server with Pidgin. There are other clients you can use, however as this is the one I'm familiar with this is what I'll be giving explicit instructions for.

After installing pidgin, you should be presented with a screen like this:
p190651-0-crwnmqh.png

The first thing you need to do is go to Accounts->Manage Accounts and then hit Add... in the window that pops up. This should bring up the following menu:
p190651-1-ezsfhdt.png

The stuff arrowed are fields you need to fill out. They are:
Protocol: Set this to XMPP. Important.
Username: what you want your *account* to be named on the server. Not necessarily the same as your chat nick.
Domain: put "noxid.ca" here
Password: The password you want to protect your account with.
"Create this new account on the server": You gotta check this the first time or.. you won't have an account to connect with.

There are also some options in the Advanced tab that need to be tweaked.
p190651-2-jvhcv2r.png

Connection security: Use encryption if available (I might not have that set up properly yet)
Connect server: chat.noxid.ca

And then (making sure "create new account" is checked), hit Save and it should connect you up. If you got something wrong the XMPP icon in the account list will be greyed out and you might get a message, try modifying it and then checking/unchecking to reenable the acct until you get it right.

The next thing you need to do is add the chatroom. On the main menu go to Buddies->Add chat... and you should get something that looks like this:
p190651-3-rn2t0jg.png

Account: the account you just created
Server: chat.noxid.ca
Handle: this is the name you will show up as
Password: I think this can be used to password-protect chat rooms when you create them, but just leave this blank
Alias: what you want the chat to show up as in your list, doesn't affect anything
You can also optionally autojoin and remain in chat with the two checkboxes.

Then just hit Add and you should connect. Simple as that! Configuration will be saved so you can connect next time by clicking on the chat name in the list. You can also create your own rooms by using a room name that hasn't been used yet, any room you create you will be owner of. I haven't figured out what that lets you do yet.

As well, you can add Buddies in a similar way to adding Chats so you can communicate with people directly and be alerted as to their online status.

OPTIONAL STEP: download and install the cool le outdated internet meme funny emoticons used by world famous internet web space "something awful"
1. go here http://sae.tweek.us/
2. click the button that says pidgin
3. open the file that downloads with winrar or 7zip
4. Extract (the folder, not the gob of files) to '%appdata%\.purple\smileys' or if that does not work 'C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Roaming\.purple\smileys' or the equivalent for your operating system. AppData may be hidden, enable it under your folder options in Control Panel.
5. Enable the pack by going to Tools -> Preferences (NOT CUSTOM SMILEYS) -> Themes -> Smiley Theme and selecting the pack you have chosen.
:furcry:

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Thatnamelessguy said:
There was a new Skype update a few days back. It basically makes it look like a mobile app that was stretched to be slightly larger and was thrown onto a computer screen. It's fucking hideous and I completely agree with this thread now. I sadly do not know of any less shitty alternatives, but I'll take pretty much everything over whatever the hell they did to Skype.
Spirit Drifter said:
I only use Skype because, well, everyone uses it. Plus, it's...kind of easy to use, in terms of interface design.
BUT
p190615-0-jxbpusa.png
THIS IS NOT A GOOD INTERFACE CHANGE.
Also I've used Trillian once. I didn't really like how it was set up, in comparison to Skype, but hey, I'm where most of my acquaintanced friends are, so I'll go wherever.
I've already said and shown this, Nameless.

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Been here way too long...
p190653-0-384doctorpidjin6011.png

p190653-1-384doctorpidjin6021.png

p190653-2-384doctorpidjin6031.png

p190653-3-b04.png

p190653-4-a05b.png

help how do i download bird

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
don't give me that crap it's the first result you shitbag

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Been here way too long...
only if u spell it right
this is too hard I'm using skype

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Professional Whatever
I'd transfer but a lot of people I know probably won't come and I don't want to dual-wield im programs :V