Curly Brace ~ Ace Attorney: The First Turnabout (UNFINISHED)

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:11 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This mod is a recreation of the first case from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney in Cave Story Engine 2. Eventually somewhere along the line I got distracted or something and didn't end up finishing the mod, so I'm going to post it here rather than let it sit in a private GitHub repo forever.

p377165-0-f7x4nui.png

p377165-1-pc0lanp.png

Downloads:

aarmastah.xyz
Doukutsu Club Mirror

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:31 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh haha, this is funny. I still haven't played Video Game+, but I'll have to play this soon. I love the Ace Attorney games, so this will probably be a fun experience.

The way you worded your opening post suggests that you made this a while ago. When did you originally make this?

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:47 AM
scrungy
The way you worded your opening post suggests that you made this a while ago. When did you originally make this?
I made it early last summer after binging the first four games in the series. There's not much content here, it's mostly a proof-of-concept; but there's probably still some fun to be had seeing how the Ace Attorney format could work in Cave Story.

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:32 AM
Based Member
Not sure if this is another Lords of the Crown or what, but for some reason, when I load the game up, the screen is black, and after a brief moment, the game exits out. Any idea why this is happening?

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:13 PM
scrungy
Not sure if this is another Lords of the Crown or what, but for some reason, when I load the game up, the screen is black, and after a brief moment, the game exits out. Any idea why this is happening?
Works on my end. I'm assuming that this issue could be happening because I'm using GLFW instead of SDL2; have you tried updating your graphics drivers etc?

EDIT: I will note that I completely axed the startup screen, so I would also recommend pushing Z or X immediately after loading.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:14 PM
Based Member
Okay, so this is weird. After enough tries, I eventually got it to work. Not sure what it was that I did that specific time, I guess I just had to have the right timing with hitting the z or x buttons.

In any case, I found this to be amusing. Not anything too amazing, but clearly something that you polished up quite a bit up to a certain point.

It's been almost 7 years since I saw that let's play on the first Ace Attorney case, so I'm a bit fuzzy on some of the details, so I wasn't quite sure in every instance which details were almost exactly copied from the original source material, and which details were your own comical spin. The part about Mahin being a sugar daddy sure had me giggling though.

During the room where the cross-examination starts to get more intense, why is there a treasure chest that lets me skip ahead to the "Not Guilty" verdict?

After you get "cornered" to play for the first time by presenting the statue/clock as evidence, I decided to answer "no" when asked if I still have any problems with his testimony, even though that's obviously not what I'm supposed to do. And that put me in some weird sequence that sent me back to the cross-examination to submit that evidence again. Nothing game-breaking, just a bit jarring.

After I was given the option to "sound" the clock, I suddenly had control of Curly and could walk around, and I wasn't quite sure what to do after that.

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:01 PM
scrungy
Okay, so this is weird. After enough tries, I eventually got it to work. Not sure what it was that I did that specific time, I guess I just had to have the right timing with hitting the z or x buttons.

In any case, I found this to be amusing. Not anything too amazing, but clearly something that you polished up quite a bit up to a certain point.

It's been almost 7 years since I saw that let's play on the first Ace Attorney case, so I'm a bit fuzzy on some of the details, so I wasn't quite sure in every instance which details were almost exactly copied from the original source material, and which details were your own comical spin. The part about Mahin being a sugar daddy sure had me giggling though.

Glad to hear you at least got something out of it! Maybe someday I'll come back and finish it.

During the room where the cross-examination starts to get more intense, why is there a treasure chest that lets me skip ahead to the "Not Guilty" verdict?

Most likely something I left in for testing.

After you get "cornered" to play for the first time by presenting the statue/clock as evidence, I decided to answer "no" when asked if I still have any problems with his testimony, even though that's obviously not what I'm supposed to do. And that put me in some weird sequence that sent me back to the cross-examination to submit that evidence again. Nothing game-breaking, just a bit jarring.

After I was given the option to "sound" the clock, I suddenly had control of Curly and could walk around, and I wasn't quite sure what to do after that.

That's probably the point where I left it unfinished honestly. It took a lot of time to get to that point and I guess I just kinda dropped it there.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it at least! Figured it'd be worth releasing if at least one other person got something out of it.

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:29 PM
Based Member
Oh yeah, I also meant to comment that I thought it was very creative how you handled the cross-examination. It allowed you to have the same features of the Ace Attorney game, but without having to implement something new in the Cave Story engine beyond just some NPC placement and TSC scripting.

And probably a nit-pick that doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but just thought I'd point this out:
CSModAceAttorney-01.png