CSTSF Boss Music Competition

Which of the two Finalists do you think should win?

• "Bridge Demon" by Safusaka

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • "Catastrophe" by TheVinylCheese

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
Jun 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I unfortunately cannot get to my computer, but I'll compile and upload the video the moment I can.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:09 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Alright, voting will start as soon as I put up the poll! Voting procedure will involve a series of votes to determine the winner, since the number of voters will likely be rather small. Unless one ORG gets an overwhelming majority, that's how it's going to work.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:37 PM
"Huzzah!"
SuperJaws100 said:
6/30: Part One of the Voting Procedure will start today! On the 34th, we will begin Part Two. The voting is being done in parts to narrow down the choices to one final contestant.
34th? There ain't no such thing! I think you're referring to the 4th of July, ('MURICA)

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Jpzarde said:
34th? There ain't no such thing! I think you're referring to the 4th of July, ('MURICA)
Oh jeez, sorry. That was really stupid of me. I'm extremely tired, if you hadn't guessed.

Anyway, I had to vote for Safusaka's "Bridge Demon" because I love the sounds he was able to make. Those two tracks together in the opening? Fabulous.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:49 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
The video has just finished compiling, and I'll link it as soon as it has finished uploading to youtube.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
hate9 said:
The video has just finished compiling, and I'll link it as soon as it has finished uploading to youtube.
It says it's private...

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
Takeshi64 said:
It says it's private...
Sorry about that, it's fixed now.
No idea how it became private, mind you, but whatever.

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:07 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Thanks for the video, hate. I put timestamps of the songs in the comments, so you can update the description with that if it helps.

On the topic of my favorite, it's difficult to decide because there are a surprisingly large number of good songs in this contest. For me, it really comes down to Catastrophe and bridge demon (the latter of which I hadn't warmed up to until recently!), but Catastrophe wins for me. It's so close that I may even end up changing my vote, but I think my decision will stay where it is.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:48 AM
"Huzzah!"
Everyone did a good job in this competition! No one did badly, and I'm not just saying that to make sure nobody feels upset. Everyone genuinely did good on this.

We should have more contests like this more often...
...Dang TP! You had debug cat as your background footage in the video? That's swaggy...
...Oh goodness, more custom bosses as background footage- Epyx- Stars- Mergermearn- eerfnfrgh...
...Oh double(think) goodness- mine's so much quieter than everyone elses .-.

Just out of curiosity hate, how did you manage to record the orgs?

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:48 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
For me, it was a toss up between Catastrophe and Bridge Demon, but Bridge Demon takes too much time focusing on its individual sections I think (doesn't progress fast enough), so I think Catastrophe makes for a better boss track because of that.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:45 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Jpzarde said:
Everyone did a good job in this competition! No one did badly, and I'm not just saying that to make sure nobody feels upset. Everyone genuinely did good on this.

We should have more contests like this more often...
...Dang TP! You had debug cat as your background footage in the video? That's swaggy...
...Oh goodness, more custom bosses as background footage- Epyx- Stars- Mergermearn- eerfnfrgh...
...Oh double(think) goodness- mine's so much quieter than everyone elses .-.

He might of used Camstudio or SnagIt since FRAPS can only detect game applications, while the other two are desktop recorders.

Also, fun little fact. Although Hate recorded some of the game footage for the bosses, I went the extra mile to record my own JN footage and sent it to him. That would explain why it took a bit for my entry to appear and the fades. The entire thing has about ten minutes long!

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:29 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
Jpzarde said:
-snip-
I recorded the orgs using Audacity, and the footage using Bandicam.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:48 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
All of the entries are fantastic, but my vote has to go to Bridge Demon! Tpboss being a close second, and Catastrophe being in third. Great job everyone!

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:43 AM
Hmm... YouTube post isn't working :(

Thanks for the video hate9!

Jul 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM
"Huzzah!"
Welp, part one of voting is over now I suppose.

Looks like we're narrowed down to...
Catastrophe, by TheVinylCheese
Egnellahc anif, by Takeshi64
Little Laughter Boss, by Random-storykeeper
and Bridge Demon, by Safusaka (oh shoot boys I used capitals this time)

Gentlemen, I present to you the elite four, the best boss song makers the CSTSF has to offer, as decided by thirteen people. If prizes were up to me, I'd say they could look forward to a variety of spoils, such as a gold medal, a silver medal, a bronze medal, and whatever is considered a fourth place medal.

However, there can only be one. Next period of voting will no doubt see a few more eliminations. Don't worry though, you all made it this far! Some of us didn't even get one vote (not that we didn't deserve some), so good on you for getting this far.

Good luck to you four...
...and to those who did not get any votes, meet me behind Kanpachi's house late tomorrow evening, I'm hosting the first official meeting of the "Kids Who Did Not Get Votes Are Cool Club", (or KWDNGVACC for short).

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I'm really torn on who to vote for, so I might just sit this one out if I can't make up my mind in the next thirty seconds or so. For me, a lot of the entries were really mellow and not urgent enough to be boss themes. Not to say that was always a bad thing, though. "Finale of a kind" was probably the most laid back entry that I liked; the rhythms used to orchestrate the melody were great. And "A gaze towards a-something" actually started to grow on me because it was just so bizarre and starts out with some pounding hook that just doesn't mesh with the transition into the slower parts, which is intriguing.

And I guess I could mention the other two current leaders: Catastrophe and bridge demon. Catastrophe was probably the most "urgent" sounding of all the entries, and I really love how it keeps up with the overall momentum, even building on back to the loop. bridge demon had some neat sounding parts. I do prefer the second half of the piece over the first. One of the tracks near the beginning for the melody felt really underplayed. If I had to choose, I suppose I would go for a boss theme that can keep up its energy without being too loud and obnoxious. I really wish we were able to pick more than one out of the large pool of entries.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:05 AM
"Huzzah!"
Could I get an honorable mention for "Edgiest Song"?

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm not sure what to vote for either. I've been meaning to give some inidividual feedback so maybe that will help. Hold onto your seats while I drop some sick rhymes and break this thang down:
First of all let me say that I think all of them have something to offer and have grown on me after multiple listenings. One issue I had with a lot of them, however, is the instrument balance, usually because they (in part or full) tried to fit too many tracks/changes in at once. The ones that don't do this tend to be missing a little something elsewhere. I still don't know much in the way of music terminology either so try to bear with me :awesomeface:

Catmonthastrophe - The buildup in this great and one of my favourite parts in any of these, but I don't like the second half so much. It switches straight to an upbeat come-down and isn't nearly as clean and solid. While the general quality of production is evident throughout, it's too offputting for me to give a vote to.

Egnellahc anif - Those grinding chords didn't need to be quite so harsh. It then moves into the finish of the loop rather abruptly; aside from that it invokes a castle-dungeon-type theme very well and I rather like it.

Little Lion Boss - My favourite part of this is from bars 28 to 44, some nice rhythm and well-supported melody there. The rest meanders a bit and often sounds more loud and crashy than tuneful, particularly the opening.

Stridulity - I don't mind the main melody at first but it never really develops. Could have done with some much stronger percussion too.

A gaze towards a-something something! - This is an interesting one actually. I think it genuinely achieves the awkward feel it was going for (if that is what it was going for) with the changeups coming at just the right times to avoid it dragging. You could maybe do more with the drums but I'm not sure what; I think it might even sound better with them off. It isn't the bossiest or most engrossing track here either (although it's got the best name :debug:).

Bridge Demon - Again I feel this strictly probably tries to do a bit too much in one song. Having said that, I do like all of the segments, and it shows off plenty of fancy technique. You really have an astounding ability to get any effect you want out of OrgMaker. Also suits its own name reasonably well.

Tpboss - Very nice classic Genesis-y (?) sound you've produced. Definitely not aesthetically or technically bad, but suffers from a few issues the others have had (weaker second half, doesn't really go anywhere, short). Would definitely fit a boss, though.

Fear Pulse - I'd describe this is as in the same vein as Egnellahc anif but more solemn and (even) more like a dungeon theme. Solid track but I'd feel odd fighting to it.

Finale of a kind - I like me :pignon: Idk I think it's alright. The compilation video did make it sound a bit limp (an impression unimproved by the lack of volume). Still I think some parts could've been less plain, particularly the opening segment and the lead-ins starting at bars 28 and 36. Time was getting on though and I didn't want to spend forever on it. Considering I basically cobbled it together from a single tune and have barely touched my keyboard or drumset for the best part of a decade I can't complain too much.

Epyx - This might be my favourite stylistically. Unfortunate that you were rushing to get it finished as it does sound a little unpolished. It's also another one I'd rather use for a level than for a boss fight, meaning provided I'm not too late I'm still not sure what I want to pick from this bunch :koron:

I might give it to ColdCloppy because this is easily the most competent thing I remember him ever doing, but if I have to pick one of the most popular two I'm going with Bridge Demon.

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:24 PM
Sorry guys, our internet went down for two days. It looks like this'll be a tough vote!