Community Project: Cave Story 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2008 at 11:41 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
WHAT, SP?!?!?!

You clearly started that you were given permission by Pixel in your very first post!!!

And now you come and say that you are not sure?
S.P. said that he ASKED, he never said he got the reply yet at that time. It was a few pages later then this matter was brought up.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
jcys810 said:
S.P. said that he ASKED, he never said he got the reply yet at that time. It was a few pages later then this matter was brought up.

Well, at least he could've waited for a positive reply, or at least a reply. I mean, all this discussion has kinda gone to waste.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:12 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Metalogz said:
Well, at least he could've waited for a positive reply, or at least a reply. I mean, all this discussion has kinda gone to waste.
Not necessarily. You could scrap this "sequel" thing and create a completely original game. You don't need CS setting to create the same feeling.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
We only know that Pixel doesn't permit a fan game sequel named "Cave Story 2", not that he is completey against a fan game, sequel or not.

My suggestion was to use a temporary name, that is not "Cave Story 2", until the script is a bit more fleshed out and an appropriate name can be chosen.

I've asked him now in japanese if it is the name or the fact that it is a sequel that he has a problem with.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Lace said:
Em, SP have you been reading the last few pages?
I quote:

S. P. 08/31-22:22
Hello Pixel-san.
I would like to ask you for permission to make a Cave Story fan game named "Cave Story 2".
A fan made sequel.

Pixel 09/02-21:13
> S. P.
I don't permit that.

I think it is fairly obvious that pixel would not permit a sequel.

andwhyisit said:
I know this is your project and all, but if Pixel says no then you should stop.

I would like to request for this thread to be closed.

There will be no lock, until this is clear.
You people should stop hacking then too, because it's nearly the same.
Anyway, you should take a look at Tadashi's comment:

Tadashi said:
We only know that Pixel doesn't permit a fan game sequel named "Cave Story 2", not that he is completey against a fan game, sequel or not.

Thanks Tadashi.
I'm not even sure if Pixel get something wrong.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
*Very sorry for bumping this thread but*
That kinda sucks that he doesn't allow it but I suppose it's fair enough that he doesn't want a fan made sequel cause It could very easily be butchered.
But I really love the idea of a fan project mod of cave story so it'd be amazing if someone would be prepared to organise one that would be completely unrelated to cave story just uses the same engine.
I'm sorry if what I've said above is really worth me bumping the thread for but I truly believe that the fans of cave story could make a truly brilliant mod that would be worth playing. Just think of all the knowledge of cave story modding/hacking put together.
I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining about there not being enough mods cause I'm willing to help with anything in this (if it ever happens that is) apart from assembly cause I don't know much about how to code new weapons and such although I've been trying. Is anyone in?

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
It's not gonna work :/ Aside from Pixel disliking it, every other idea like this so far has failed due to a lack of interest. Getting too many people in on one project just creates more conflict that it does progress, at a guess I'd say the ideal size for a core team would be about 5. There's also the fact that most of the modders are working on their own projects at the moment and are probably more concerned with them than trying to start something over. And seriously, as far as I can recall the only mods that have actually even been completed are speed-type/hard-type mods/edits or partial edits of the original CS. I really think we need to show we can finish our own stuff before we even try something like this again.

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:18 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
I suppose you're right but It's just a shame to give up on something like this. Pixel just doesn't want an official sequel made by fans and with very good reason but he's not against mods and hacks. I think if everyone makes a community mod project that is really good, then people will be less inclined to just give up on it. The only reason why I gave up on my sequel for the bad ending of cave story was quite simply because it was crap. But with all the conflicts and dissagreeing with each other I completely agree with you. A smaller group will always work better but would be less efficent and a large group would have all sorts of problems. If it's the sort of thing where say, a number of people work on sprites, someone else does scripts and map making and noone questions each other, it would work perfectly as long everyone is committed. This might not work but If we can make a team of dedicated people who know what they're doing and do not question each others role then this is possible

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:00 PM
Hax on....Hax off....
It's good to know that you're willing to help but I'm not sure If it's possible and I'm not sure If we can find someone who is willing and prepared to lead a project like this cause There's no way I'm leading something like this right now. We need someone who believes this is possible and is ready to help make it possible as well. You're pretty good at map making but I don't wanna be the person who has to decide on important things like who's doing what, what's gonna happen it this and all that. If we find someone willing to lead a project I'm sure this will be possible.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The problem is that everyone approached it like it was a mod.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:44 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
you mean they didn't really think it was that important cause they thought of it more like a mod than a real sequel so they didn't really care that much about it? I suppose that would make an actual community project mod even more difficult than a fan made sequel but I thought the problem with that was the fact that Pixel didn't give permission for it to happen

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'd test it... And I'm okay at editing onto preexisting sprite picture files. Like my Halo Story concept ones.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Hax on....Hax off....
Well I think this isn't so likely to happen so people should focus on making their own mods and if they really wanna help with this then they can. I'm not quite ready for this cause I'm working on my own mod which I plan on finishing.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Uncy Dave said:
you mean they didn't really think it was that important cause they thought of it more like a mod than a real sequel so they didn't really care that much about it? I suppose that would make an actual community project mod even more difficult than a fan made sequel but I thought the problem with that was the fact that Pixel didn't give permission for it to happen
Yes, that too. I meant that all of the submitted tilesets, spritesheets, faceset sizes, etc were all the kind of things you would use for a mod, not a game. No-one thought outside of the box at all.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
Was this gonna be built from scratch?

*facepalm*

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:39 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
Yeah I'm pretty sure that was the idea unless I just so happen to be wrong about it. I don't really think that it would have been practical to make a fan made mod from scratch although that does give more opportunity to reinvent the game.
(Off Topic[ Check this out if you haven't already http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/62897/ ]Off Topic)

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
No, I meant was this going to be built from Cave Story itself? With Sue's Workshop etc. what have you?
The idea was to create a "from scratch" game with its own engine, not a mod. How the heck did you miss that?! SP Practically screamed it at everyone...
..in a size 7 bolded and underlined font!

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:01 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Apr 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Status
Not open for further replies.