Chie's Laboratory - Cave Story Editor (Sleeping)

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Has he? I thought it was andwhyisit.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:41 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: he/him
Pretty sure he was involved somewhere.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Cultr1 made the first official "Hack" by removing the (C)Pixel requirement, I pushed it further by experimenting on the .app and making the first rudimentary tool to move Mapdata from a PC mod to a Mac mod, as well as porting the first mod with an ASM hack (Mine, sorta, and Revorshkenahl), and then AndWhy took a bunch of mods that didn't have any ASM hacks and ported them.

Also, I have *some* documentation on the Mac file but it's mostly confused rubbish.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
So wait, you can upload the Mac CS "EXE" to windows and just use the windows editors to hack it...?

Or no? :eek:

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:15 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Captain Fabulous said:
I own a Mac. I'm allowed to dislike it.
Anyway, Mac mods have now been made. I don't think anyone's working on an editor, because all they did was convert PC mods to Mac through extensive hacking.
I'm not working on an editor, but I might, some day.

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Only? You know that it's totally different from the PC exe? And that's actually the major problem and the reason why noone looked it up yet.
It's less different than you might think. Okay, so technically it's totally different, but there are similarities; for example, if you don't care about PPC support, the assembly is the same flavour of assembly. I'd guess that data within the executable is laid out similarly as well, though you'd need to ask those who actually figured it out to be sure.

S. P. Gardebiter said:
It's not easy as that. Assembly hacks can't be ported easily.
And renumber some map data isn't easy too without any notes. (And we don't have any notes about the mac executable)
Assembly hacks can probably simply be copy-pasted; the hard part is just finding a place to copy-paste them without overwriting important code.

Of course, that still doesn't support the PPC half of the game.

joshworx said:
So wait, you can upload the Mac CS "EXE" to windows and just use the windows editors to hack it...?

Or no? :D
No. You can, however, replace the Mac data folder with a Windows data folder, and the game will be playable (though further tweaks would probably be required to make it identical to the Windows one).

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well I am working on a mapdata editor, converter and inserter (well I already have a converter and inserter but it would be better to have it all in the one program) which should make multiplatform modding a little more accessable to the average person. Wish me luck.

Celtic Minstrel said:
No. You can, however, replace the Mac data folder with a Windows data folder, and the game will be playable (though further tweaks would probably be required to make it identical to the Windows one).
You forgot about mapdata and renaming the save file name under both Info.plist files.

Back