CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:38 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
He means quadruple-resolution and quadruple-size bitmaps, of course (twice the width and twice the height).

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:57 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
When I try to open a script straight from the map editor, it crashes. Similar situations with script/map window changing to other areas also lead to crashing, but I wasn't paying that much attention...

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:57 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Yes. Also the syntax coloration is gone (all TSC is shown in black text) in version 0.98e

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:41 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Re: Hmm..

Cyowolf1122 said:
Sigh, I know I'm gonna sound retarded but I tried out the Cave Editor and I run into a bit of a problem. The damn thing won't let me save my maps. I have no idea why, I'm using a brand new copy of cave story.

I'm also using Vista, would that interfere with anything?

Edit: When I save, it says "Error saving map data." I have no idea whats wrong, I even made a seperate file for CE and place a copy of CS in there.

Huh, I'm getting this same error too...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
It shouldn't, I'm using Vista after all and it works fine...
Did you make sure all the files are in the right place?
I believe the maps will only save if the Data folder is located in the same folder as the EXE you're editing.
And sometimes people have trouble if they leave the "Read Only" part checked on the Data folder stuff.

...And I've tried what Lowell suggested, but it's still not saving my map edits. I've even checked the box about removing the (C) Pixel requirements and what-not.... Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Oh, I got it now... Turns out, I couldn't fix it in CE at all, it was a problem outside of that... Had to select all doukutsu files and go into properties to turn off all the read-only features... ^_^''

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:14 AM
Not anymore

aztectornado said:
Huh, I'm getting this same error too...

1. Right click on your Cavestory mod folder and go to properties.
2. Under "Attributes", uncheck the Read-Only checkbox. Click apply. All files in that folder will have "read-only" removed for them.

If you've already tried this, then I don't know what the problem is. The majority of "error saving map data" is the read-only issue.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:14 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

Are you sure you clicked "Remove read-only status" and not tried to do it yourself?

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There's a strange error with the scripting...
Something about writing only one line of code and saving causes CE to crash.
Code:

Works fine, and so does
Code:
<END
Hell, even #0100 with a space on the next line works fine.
But #0100 completely by itself crashes the editor.
Not much of a problem, but it's rather drawing some curiosity as to why it's crashing and frustrating new users who have just start hacking, as this mostly happens when creating a new map, which also always starts off with the new script containing a funny "y", for some reason...

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM
Been here way too long...
Also, can you make the stand alone script editor compatible with the weirdo number system the game actually uses? (ie, ML+000/)

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:54 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Re: Let's hope for a possible revive

VoidMage_Lowell said:
which also always starts off with the new script containing a funny "y", for some reason...
Sounds like a character encoding problem.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Lace said:
Also, can you make the stand alone script editor compatible with the weirdo number system the game actually uses? (ie, ML+000/)
You know, I wouldn't call that a "number system". I'd call it "not bothering to bounds-check".

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:24 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Jackalope said:
When I try to open a script straight from the map editor, it crashes.
This, but it sometimes also crashes trying to open the Head or ArmsItem scripts. says it's faulting from ntdll.dll with exception code 0xc0000005

from what google's saying, it's a very generic access violation error or something like that.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:27 AM
Not anymore
Metruler1990 said:
This, but it sometimes also crashes trying to open the Head or ArmsItem scripts. says it's faulting from ntdll.dll with exception code 0xc0000005

from what google's saying, it's a very generic access violation error or something like that.

CaveEditor 0.98e has a major *crash* upon-editing-scripts bug. Please download the older version CaveEditor 0.98d, which doesn't appear to have this problem.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:50 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I just found a weird little bug.

If you edit a script, and you resize the script editing window to have a really small width, and then bring it back out to normal, the command details on the right and the main editing textbox overlap each other like this:
CEbug.png

It only goes back to normal if you close and reopen CE.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Funky. Also, I don't like how the new way you're doing this is with all the info/resources inboard.. it makes it harder to edit things about the editor, which is something that I would like to be able to do when modding since the there are so many changes I make.. I tried to replace CE_Tiles.png today and found that it didn't do anything :[

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:14 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Another long delay in updating but it's finally done. Actually I was going to post on Friday but the forum moved happened before it happened.

The script editing crash is resolved along with the resizing window bug and the new map "y" bug.
The configuration files have been consolidated into a single file (CaveEditer.txt) which also includes various text constants that are used by CE.
The Script Editor also got a little more useful: sound effects, face portraits, items, etc. are now displayed for relevant commands based on currently assigned values. The only thing that I haven't quite gotten right here is displaying illustrations so they're still numbers.

Hopefully there aren't any major bugs but if there are v0.99 is probably more stable than v0.99b with the extra script info (both links in the first post).

Oh and CE_Tiles.png edits do work; I've talked with Noxid about it.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:33 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
<3 @ wistil

Are there any issues from switching from the previous version to this one, working with the same mod...?

I still have the same problems though (only tried v0.99b) :
If I make the size of the map too large, only the background image will show up. (200 x 200 is too big... 200 x 130 is not.)

However... if it's not TOO big like 200 x 130, but not small enough to show up normally :
only the tiles that are marked as not solid at all show up on the map. (AKA the back tiles) No front tiles will show up. I can get around this problem by marking all tiles as back tiles... then just switch the pxa file when done.

I also have some odd issues with zooming in and out on large, but not too large maps. Sometimes it will appear completely black [no background] when changing zoom levels... usually just resizing the map window a little will make it draw normally.

My commit charge in task manager started at 843 MB / 2463 MB used...
when loading the editor to 845 MB
when loading my exe project 850 - 849
when loading the 200 x 130 map (with all tiles set to background) 899 - 900
after closing the map 899 - 900
(loading another map reverts size) (small map = 850)
when loading the 200 x 130 map (with normal tiles... and only background appears) 899 - 900

Increasing the size of the map to 200x200 and tiles don't appear at all... 888
decreasing the size back to 200 x 130 ... 900
reducing the size to 50 x 50 ... 859

(I only have 1024 MB RAM but 2.4 GB of virtual memory...) Reducing the load to like 400 MB ram didn't help either.
I'm on Windows XP SP3 still... 32bit

Oh... and welcome back ;D

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hey X-Calibar.

First off, the versions are completely compatible. There are no changes in the save/load code so it will work with previous versions just fine.

I'm still not sure about that drawing problem. I'm working on 2GB of RAM myself. I haven't messed with the map display code at all yet but my guess would be a memory allocation error. The code could use some clean up as right now is has each of the "layers" of the map stored in memory at full scale all the time. I'll look at a complete rework of the mapping code to help fix that problem. ~800MB to load a map is really ridiculous and closing the map should clear it but I never added that code... :eek:

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
.99b seems to work pretty well for me, with only one minor graphical glitch that I've noticed so far. The new TSC face/tile display thing is wonderful, but the white box thing that erases it isn't big enough to cover the old image so it's kinda like still there, framing your Direction 000 means Left message.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
~800MB to load a map is really ridiculous and closing the map should clear it but I never added that code...
sorry... I didn't mean it was taking ~800 MB to load a map...
I meant :
"My commit charge in task manager started at 843 MB "
That's how much memory I was using *before starting it... all the other numbers are how much it increased from that starting point...
[was doing this right before sleep :x]

Love using the editor! ...Only thing that would make it any easier for me would be, being able to copy and paste areas of the map :eek: That's just me being lazy though xD

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:39 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You can copy & paste areas of the map I thought...?