CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:26 AM
"Huzzah!"
Wistil, I'd first like to point out that you rule.

But anyhow... to address the topic at hand: I'm used to Sue's so NPC display is a bit low-priority for me. In fact, I just got a completely different and odd idea...

Since CaveEditor already supports many operations outside the "usual" scope of Sue's (stuff like npc.tbl editing, changing starting health, and whatnot), I got a nifty idea. Why not add the option to import custom music, Credit images, and sounds? Although anyone can do the first two easily with Resource Hacker, it would be kinda neat (but still not a high priority and certainly not required) to have it all in one program.

Plus, when it comes to sounds, things become difficult. This is very possible thanks to Runelancer -- with a program called "PixTone" (not to be confused with PxTone... hehe), which Pixel used to do all the original sounds, it's not that hard to create or modify sounds. The only problem is, *where* exactly does one insert said sounds into the executable? A related thread is here and I'm sure with a bit more reading I could figure it out, but perhaps in the far future would a sound-importing feature be out of the question?

But on another topic, I'm about ready to switch production over to CaveEditor full-time. Being able to use my custom music is just enough for me, let alone the crazy-improved interface. Woohoo! Onward, spelunkers! :p

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:21 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh yeah, sound importing, music importing and credit images...

Sound importing is easy: http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/FAQ/SoundHacking.txt
Music importing? Hmm... Well, I've got only a description of the .org format, written by Osmoose.
http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/FAQ/orgfilesdesc.txt

Actually importing, exporting would be nice, but also editing would be cool... And then here it comes: why not a player function? But this is a pretty big step to make sounds and music play. Atleast the music is not easy I guess. :x

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:08 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Happy to have an npc.tbl editor. I believe Osmoose had asked me to make one, but I declined, and thus never fully understood the faulty, horribly written description of some of it.

And now that I do, I have to change Agora's Legends sprite rendering code in a rather major way which requires I completely rewrite/scrap the ETE format, which I have been doing all night as a direct result of coming here and noticing this. Oh boy...

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:08 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You can't add entities with this right?

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:36 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Since CaveEditor already supports many operations outside the "usual" scope of Sue's (stuff like npc.tbl editing, changing starting health, and whatnot), I got a nifty idea. Why not add the option to import custom music, Credit images, and sounds? Although anyone can do the first two easily with Resource Hacker, it would be kinda neat (but still not a high priority and certainly not required) to have it all in one program.

Plus, when it comes to sounds, things become difficult. This is very possible thanks to Runelancer -- with a program called "PixTone" (not to be confused with PxTone... hehe), which Pixel used to do all the original sounds, it's not that hard to create or modify sounds. The only problem is, *where* exactly does one insert said sounds into the executable? A related thread is here and I'm sure with a bit more reading I could figure it out, but perhaps in the far future would a sound-importing feature be out of the question?

I've done a bit of research and it at least seems that only .org files are supported in the executable. To use PxTone files, you would have to somehow get Doukutsu.exe to load PxTone.dll and play the files with it. On the other hand, I'm not sure about just the sound effects used in Cave Story... If those are WAVs, then perhaps you could render PxTone files into WAVs and hack those in the executable... Problem is, if you wanted to import background music that way, you'd have a HUGE executable. It would be interesting to get them to loop... You'd have to measure the length of the song in whatever units Pixel uses for his WAI instruction and script a loop on every stage...

Edit: Oh, duh... You're NOT talking about PxTone... Oh well. Maybe someone'll find the information useful...

- keantoken

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:55 PM
Hoxtilicious
keantoken said:
Oh, duh... You're NOT talking about PxTone... Oh well. Maybe someone'll find the information useful...

Don't you think you should search for information before claiming someones post as wrong? ;) He actually is talking about PixTone.

And you people should start reading my posts... :p

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Oh yeah, sound importing, music importing and credit images...

Sound importing is easy: http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/FAQ/SoundHacking.txt
Music importing? Hmm... Well, I've got only a description of the .org format, written by Osmoose.
http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/FAQ/orgfilesdesc.txt

Actually importing, exporting would be nice, but also editing would be cool... And then here it comes: why not a player function? But this is a pretty big step to make sounds and music play. Atleast the music is not easy I guess. :x

The .exe uses pxt files, but they are hardcoded into the exe, as you can read in the SoundHacking.txt. :D

Music are .org files. It's already posted here many times how to import .org's.

Manually importing org's is easily done with resource hacker. The editor would work simular. :o

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:19 AM
"Huzzah!"
Er.... a bit of confusion, I see. Weirdly enough, "PixTone" and "PxTone" are *not* the same program. The former edits sounds (in .pxt format, native to Cave Story) and the latter is Pixel's music editor thingy. I was talking about PixTone, Token said PxTone, and Garde was trapped in the middle. Or something as such. I'm sure everyone's already solved this problem and I'm speaking to an empty audience again. Oh dear.

Thanks for the Sound Hacking FAQ, by the way! Hmm... I just might have to give that a try soon enough. :D

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:24 AM
Hoxtilicious
Xaser said:
Garde was trapped in the middle

I was talking about PixTone, the sound program, not the music one.
After 2 years of hacking it would be very sad if I talk about the wrong programs don't you think? ;P

Edit: np, for the FAQ :D

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
this is an awesome editor. but i have a small problem: i cant save scripts. it either locks up every time i try to hit save in the script editor, or my mod wont run anymore. am i the only one having this issue?

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:47 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
jcys810 said:
You can't add entities with this right?
You should be able to add entities.

Boom 147 said:
this is an awesome editor. but i have a small problem: i cant save scripts. it either locks up every time i try to hit save in the script editor, or my mod wont run anymore. am i the only one having this issue?
hmmm.... That's odd, let me check. Looks like I wasn't checking for read-only on the script files. It's now been fixed and uploaded. Not worthy of a change to the first post. :D
Gah! I've been bad about working on the editor recently. Sorry everyone! :D But it also looks like only a few people are testing it out so we're even.... I guess.

I'm currently part-way through the weapon edit code and looking into editing npc types so you can change their behavior but that may take a little bit of time. A real update pending.

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Wistil said:
I'm currently part-way through the weapon edit code and looking into editing npc types so you can change their behavior but that may take a little bit of time. A real update pending.
Soooo... custom weapons and enemies, right? :D

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:31 AM
Right. :D
But I'm estimating it will probably take me until around New Year's for NPCs probably quicker for weapons... So many things to do this month.

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Wistil said:
Right. :D
But I'm estimating it will probably take me until around New Year's for NPCs probably quicker for weapons... So many things to do this month.
Can't wait. :D

Wistil said:
But it also looks like only a few people are testing it out so we're even.... I guess.
Everyone is already using it for mods from what I hear.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:48 AM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
Everyone is already using it for mods from what I hear.

Allthough his editor is much better, I can't still use it. I use different extensions and even folders. For example my NPC.TBL is in the doukutsu folder. :D

Also its a bit unhandy :/ I guess mainly because I got used to Sue's Workshop :o

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:14 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You should be able to add entities.
Well, then I probably just don't know how to. Care to tell?

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:26 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Allthough his editor is much better, I can't still use it. I use different extensions and even folders. For example my NPC.TBL is in the doukutsu folder. :D

Also its a bit unhandy :/ I guess mainly because I got used to Sue's Workshop :o
Then you should make a list of what your problems are so that they can have the opportunity to be fixed.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
Then you should make a list of what your problems are so that they can have the opportunity to be fixed.

I already told Wistil.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:41 PM
jcys810 said:
Well, then I probably just don't know how to. Care to tell?
You press the Edit Entity radio button in the map edit window. Then right click where you want to add an entity on screen.

I do have a list of things that need to be addressed but most of them are cosmetic (like the layout of the map edit window) so I haven't put them at the top of the list of things to do. One of the more important things I need is an actual help file to tell people how to use the dang thing. :o

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:18 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I tried using Sue's workshop a while ago to start a Cave Story mod but it was just overwhelming with all the stuff I had to do :D If there was a clear tutorial I could read I would probably make a mod, but I couldn't find one. I hope your editor will be easier for me to use :D

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Damn it i hate making frigging warps using tsc
my suggestion is try making an easyer way to make warps from one room to another
like in rpg maker 2003