CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Poor Wistil, the assassins probably got him.

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:38 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Argh! Assassins!

Sorry everyone. I've been very bad these last few months and it doesn't look like I'll be able to continue anytime too soon (probably not until May/June). Work has been killing me. I hate to leave things as they are and would still like to work on this project in the future. I've learned a lot about programing from working on this. And really hoped to get more done sooner that I have...

However, since I'm way too busy with work I will instead do something I'd been holding off on for a while: releasing the source code. It's horribly written and not well commented but that where it stands and hopefully someone can take a look at making updates.

A couple of notes to let everyone know how things are set up. Aside from the script editing code, all other CaveStory specific code should be in the General.cpp file with program logic and GUI stuff everywhere else. That way anyone can take the general functions from General.cpp and use them in any program they design. Its all written in VSC++ with MFC which is bad but easy to code in.

Source Code

Best of wishes to those who dare follow in my footsteps. And I will try to lurk as much as I can till I get some real time to code again.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Sad. Hope your work lightens up.

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Hoxtilicious
Too bad :/
It was a nice time. Hope you can work on it again in the future >_<
It's cool that you release the source though. Thank you very much.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:32 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
On the positive side he is still alive. :D

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:36 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:
On the positive side he is still alive. :D

Omg you mean you ever thought him... I dun wanna mention it. =X

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:17 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I can't wait until you finish this cause there's only so much you can learn about editors by just fiddling around and this looks much easier to use as well

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:19 AM
Justin-chan
This pretty much has basic modding capabilities already if not more.

And Wistil hasn't appeared since April so don't get your hopes up.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:51 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm getting a graphics glitch - no graphic from any CS (or mod) that I load in Cave Editor will show up. It's all a grey box, except or anything that isn't directly out of CS.

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
He left the source code so that anyone with enough skills could finish it. If you want an update then at least you can do it yourself, unlike Sue's Workshop.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:00 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
This thread has been zombied. After seeing some rather crippling bugs mentioned in some posts I figured I'd update this darn thing and also find a place to host it again. Check the first post for details!

Thanks for the email andwhyisit. I think it jump started my drive to work on this again.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:50 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Corrupt ZIP is corrupt.
T_T

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:08 AM
Bah, sorry about that. It should be working now. I had the ftp transfer type set to ASCII instead of Binary for some reason...

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
This is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this. :D

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM
Not a problem at all. I don't think the NPC behavior or weapon behavior editor section will be ready anytime soon but I can still tweak other sections and fix bugs/add features. I need to learn some better GUI methods though. I'm currently doing everything with Windows GDI which is pretty slow and clunky. It was the easiest to pick up and learn for me, however.
More importantly, I need bug reports. As I'm not currently making a mod myself I don't do too much testing of new features and I just rely on a couple test cases at most to verify things are working right.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:44 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Oh snap your back! I'll have to test the new CaveEditor now. I'm your biggest fan =D. I'm still surprised that most people use SW over CE, even though CE has more EVERYTHING. Still some issues that need to be fixed though....

The script editor still has some editor-freezing bugs. 2 of them I know the cause, I will do research into the other random ones I've been encountering.

-The script editor will crash if you try to save with an event over 1000. I think event 1100 is what runs during the "fake-drowning" scene in the original cavestory, and when I try to make a script with this event CE will just crash.
-The script editor also does not like it when you have too many characters. In my mod WTF-story, the script for the tetris room contains something like 30000+ characters. I had to script the room in SW since CE would crash when it would try to load the script.
-The tileset editor does not like to open tilesets that are 24-bit (I'm pretty sure about this, but right now I don't have access to CE so forgive me because I can't double check). This can be annoying if you need to edit a custom 24 bit tileset. Make it like the way you made the sprite sheet editor, since that one seems to work.

And yeah, glad to hear that you have risen from the dead. CaveEditor needs fixing, and it seems you're the one to finish it. Besides, if you add all the other features you're planning to add, it'll be fan-freaking-tastic.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM
Been here way too long...
some people prefer sw over ce for the same reason some people prefer xp over vista.