CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:10 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I don't have too much time right now but I just uploaded a new version (first post).

Fixed the tile type display. I had switched to to use CE_Tiles.bmp back when the graphic display problem was still being figured out but never changed it back.

Added a Rectangle Tool to the map editor! A Replace too as well.

I also cleaned up the add and delete map code which should fix some errors some people were getting with read only and map already exists errors.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:31 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
With these new fixes and changes (random script crashes, rectangle tool, Ctrl C and V for entities (neat!) and bullet data and, well damn there's too much to list) Cave Editor officially just beat Sue's workshop before. Well, that's a lie, since Cave Editor beat Sue's workshop long ago. But now I no longer need to really on SW to do heavy map editing and scripting (bugs in script editor fixed). You officially win. Even over the new Sw.

And to be offtopic, the reason I think I won't like the new SW is simply the new format: the project/patch format. This is not that bad of an idea, however essentially this screws over all current modders and their mods. With an editor like CE that can edit an executable that has been modified, you don't need a patch file. I believe the need for a patch file in itself will be the downfall of SW. But yeah, since, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), the new Sue's workshop will not support compatability for mods currently in progress.

CE now has everything I need right now. I hope you get around to implementing the Add/Copy/Delete tileset and background functions, since those would be nice to have. Keep up the good work =D and I'll keep reporting bugs as I come across them.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:09 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Tile-type overlay doesn't display on 16-bit resolution. .-.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Wistil said:
I don't have too much time right now but I just uploaded a new version (first post).
I think you forgot to upload the new source zip.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
It's just a minor bug but, it seriously annoys me, if you select the Pen/Fill/Replace/Rectangle tool while in the 'Edit Map' mode, and switch to the 'Edit Entities' mode, your cursor will still be any of the previous tools picked out.

It's minor, but it bugs me lots and looks ugly :o

How about mass add and mass delete functions?
Another bug, when you delete a map that has no maps beneath it, it is totally gone, no '--No Map--' thing, and because of the totally messed up map configurations, when you run the program it displays an error message saying 'Doukutsu.exe is not a valid Win32 application.'

Also, how about instead of having the text appear on the entities while in work, you have the entire sprite appear!
You could have two modes, since the if the sprites are too big,(Ex. Ballos head) You don't have space to add other entities.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:27 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Another update! This one is a bit bigger than usual.
The source is updated too andwhyisit. ;)

Gaajashin said:
It's just a minor bug but, it seriously annoys me, if you select the Pen/Fill/Replace/Rectangle tool while in the 'Edit Map' mode, and switch to the 'Edit Entities' mode, your cursor will still be any of the previous tools picked out.
Fixed

Gaajashin said:
Another bug, when you delete a map that has no maps beneath it, it is totally gone, no '--No Map--' thing, and because of the totally messed up map configurations, when you run the program it displays an error message saying 'Doukutsu.exe is not a valid Win32 application.'
I'm still not sure what's causing this error for you. The removing of the lowest maps completely when deleting them is how CE is supposed to work.

Gaajashin said:
Also, how about instead of having the text appear on the entities while in work, you have the entire sprite appear!
You could have two modes, since the if the sprites are too big,(Ex. Ballos head) You don't have space to add other entities.
Done. :D

Next I'm focusing on the problem that doey100 had with the script cursor jumping all over the place and lagging in Vista along with adding a check for changes before closing the script window.
Then I'll be looking at the undo list.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM
Hey Wistil, what's your mailing address?
You've just won the EditPrize.
=/
(Srsly.)

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:02 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I haven't posted here since 2 updates ago, but I must say, I absolutely love this editor. My conversion from SW is complete. (Before I would use SW to make the map and some scripts, then switch over to CE for the big scripts)

The one thing I would suggest is to please not have the map editor (well, any window really) steal focus on mouseover. It is this thing that annoys me the most about CE atm. (The lagging was only on really big scripts, and once it had finished loading and doing the script highlighting, it wasn't slow anymore.)

If this is a design decision and you would like to keep it, could you tell me where the code for this is so I can try and compile it myself? I've never really looked at other people's code before, so I'm not sure where to begin.

Edit: Hmm, the newest version doesn't seem to be display edited tilesets. It shows some of the tile types, and the NPC sprites (which is awesome, btw, but I hope it doesn't cause problems when/if I move frame rects. Although I can just turn sprite display off.) I can still edit the tiles, and it still saves my changes properly, but not being able to see it kinda sucks. As far as I can tell, it only seems to be edited tilesets, regardless of whether of not the map was edited, although I haven't done a lot of testing.

Also, I tend to rewrite all the old CE files when I update versions so I don't have to change my shortcuts, but now with this bug, I'd like to be able to revert. Would you be able to keep the old version up, incase this happens again? I should be able to find it out of the recycle bin, but it would be handy. :)

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM
*Ninja lunch post*

The old version is available as well at the old link address.
I actually keep up the last several versions. so if you remember the version name you can download it.

I'll look into the new tileset not displaying bug. Its probably related to some changes I made when adding he entity sprites relating to the color depth of the tileset.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:35 AM
Sorry for the double post. The custom tileset display bug has been fixed!

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM
any chance of an in-built assembly editor?

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I think that's on the todo list or something.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:08 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
For some reason I seem unable to edit the Map Name anymore (The one labeled map name in CE, not the one that that appears when you use <MNA)

Its not a huge deal, but its weird because I could edit it fine in past versions. (Or possibly I edited it in SW and never changed them in CE. I don't remember all that well)

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM
p20015-0-blacksquareex1.png

Alright, another DragonBug. D;
So, here I am trying to create this new tileset, when low and behold I go to edit the tile types in CE, and BAM! No tile types - just a black rectangle.
Irritated, I did my old stand-by and switched to 32 bit color (which I avoid using because it drops my resolution down to 800 x 600...) and blamo, the problem is solved.

Would you mind loking into this?
As I said, works in 32 bit, doesn't in 16 or 24 bit.

- Bootsy

Ps. Wewt, I've found an easy way to upload screenies. =D
Take that, Photobucket, you crash-inducing nightmare!
I exploit your mobile methods on my desktop computer!

Pps. For those curious, the tileset isn't the one being edited in the screenie, it's in the folder labled "Alternate Tilesets" on my desktop.
XD

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:36 AM
Lace - Yeah that's on the to do list. Probably sometime after the 1.0 release... :D

Dooey - I noticed that myself and I'll have a patch up with a fix by Sunday.

DragonBoots - Bah! I thought I got all of those. Alright, I should be able to find and fix this pretty quickly too.
I'd like to make it so a click outside that tile type box closed it but I can't seem to get that to work.

I'm still fiddling around with the code a bit before the next release. Nothing exciting mainly just some code cleanup.
I did notice a problem with the map editor snatching the focus when you mouse over it from another CE window which I need to fix.

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:03 PM
Another Update!

Fixed the problems Dragon and Dooey were having as well as adding the ability to turn on the entity text descriptions if you are so inclined.

Next up will be the undo stack for maps and scripts and change detection in the script editor. I may even have some results before the weekend is up but that's unlikely.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Wistil said:
Another Update!

Fixed the problems Dragon and Dooey were having as well as adding the ability to turn on the entity text descriptions if you are so inclined.

Next up will be the undo stack for maps and scripts and change detection in the script editor. I may even have some results before the weekend is up but that's unlikely.

You are a God among programmers.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:23 PM
okay, got an idea for the undo stack, but it'll prolly be very hard to implement.
Basically, I think you should make a little box on the screen saying what your last actions have been, and you can right click on one of these and say undo action, which will undo the action (wow!) but not any actions after it. uh, yeah, as I sead, probably impossible, but it would be very, very nifty.

and, as I have lost track of some stuff, have you implemented macros yet?
and pretty please make it all one window, so I don't get heart attacks when I use it.

@ boots, that god should be lower-cased.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Lace said:
okay, got an idea for the undo stack, but it'll prolly be very hard to implement.
Basically, I think you should make a little box on the screen saying what your last actions have been, and you can right click on one of these and say undo action, which will undo the action (wow!) but not any actions after it. uh, yeah, as I sead, probably impossible, but it would be very, very nifty.

and, as I have lost track of some stuff, have you implemented macros yet?
and pretty please make it all one window, so I don't get heart attacks when I use it.

@ boots, that god should be lower-cased.

I kinda like the 1-windo idea, but I think it'd be ever better if it was tabbed.
=/
Dream am I?

@ Lace: It's God, because he deserves it.