Cave Story with a fourth ending

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:52 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm probably too late, but I have 0 idea how to install this
You don't, you just extract the folder from the zip folder, click on DoConfig to play in windowed mode (or full screen if your computer can tolerate old algorithms), and then play the game.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:12 AM
Based Member
Or, if you want to play the CS+ port, then download Plus Porter and follow these instructions:

To use Plus Porter, you first want to go to File -> Open CS+ Directory, and browse to your Cave Story+ installation. To apply a port that has already been made, go to "File" -> "Open port...", browse to the folder of the port you wish to open, and click "Open." After the port has been loaded, go to "File" -> "Apply port", and a window will open up listing all mods currently installed in that game of CS+, and the order in which they'll be listed in the challenge menu (with the one at the top appearing on the main menu). You are able to arrange the mods in whatever order you want the challenge menu to list them, and then click the "Apply port!" button to apply the port to your Cave Story+ installation. Exit out of plus porter, and you'll now be able to experience the mod in Cave Story+.

Jan 30, 2021 at 3:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You don't, you just extract the folder from the zip folder, click on DoConfig to play in windowed mode (or full screen if your computer can tolerate old algorithms), and then play the game.
oh thank you. works

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:27 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I hope you don't mind me editing the script for my copy of the mod for the sake of a joke.
<PRI
<FL+0410
<DNP0300
<MSGYou see something gleaming...<NOD<CLR<CMU0010<GIT1005<IT+0005
Got the...<WAI0160<NOD er...<NOD<CLR<GIT0000<IT-0005You discarded =Booster's Goggles=.
(How did they even get here?)<NOD<CLO
<RMU<END
<MSG<TURBooster's Goggles<WAI9999<END

<MSG<TURWhy are these in your inventory?<WAI9999<END
As mentioned above, I did this for the sake of a joke.
If you want, you can add these bits of code to your game.

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:43 AM
Based Member
Haha, yep, it sure was convenient that there was that unused Beast Fang item that I could replace with Booster's glasses. It certainly would logically follow that if that entity in the Yamashita Farm was accessible, then that's how it would play out. I don't plan on making any future releases, though, especially considering that bit of code would never execute without you hacking the game.

May 6, 2022 at 3:42 PM
Based Member
I've never played around with NxEngine EVO, so I don't know the compiling process, but here are a few steps I would recommend:
  1. Familiarize yourself with the basics of editing rooms, scripts, and graphics in freeware Cave Story
  2. Extract all of the resources unique to my mod. This can be found by using a file compare tool like WinMerge and opening up a copy of the original freeware and my mod and seeing the changed or added files side-by-side. The only differences not clearly shown by a comparison like that will probably be the map data added to the EXE for the 2 extra rooms I added (which can be seen by opening up my mod with Cave Editor or Booster's Lab), and also the additional credit art illustrations which can be accessed by opening up the EXE with Resource Hacker.
  3. Figure out how to compile the source code of NXEngine EVO, and how you work that in with the map/script/spritesheet files from freeware Cave Story, and how to insert the extra map data and credit art illustrations.
  4. Figure out how to port to Vita.

I can help answer questions for steps 1 and 2, but for steps 3 and 4, you'll probably be better off asking questions in the discord server linked on that GitHub page that you linked to.

May 7, 2022 at 3:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've never played around with NxEngine EVO, so I don't know the compiling process, but here are a few steps I would recommend:
  1. Familiarize yourself with the basics of editing rooms, scripts, and graphics in freeware Cave Story
  2. Extract all of the resources unique to my mod. This can be found by using a file compare tool like WinMerge and opening up a copy of the original freeware and my mod and seeing the changed or added files side-by-side. The only differences not clearly shown by a comparison like that will probably be the map data added to the EXE for the 2 extra rooms I added (which can be seen by opening up my mod with Cave Editor or Booster's Lab), and also the additional credit art illustrations which can be accessed by opening up the EXE with Resource Hacker.
  3. Figure out how to compile the source code of NXEngine EVO, and how you work that in with the map/script/spritesheet files from freeware Cave Story, and how to insert the extra map data and credit art illustrations.
  4. Figure out how to port to Vita.

I can help answer questions for steps 1 and 2, but for steps 3 and 4, you'll probably be better off asking questions in the discord server linked on that GitHub page that you linked to.
Thankfully, NXEngine EVO mods work regardless of platform, and NXEngine EVO has a vita release already with 'initial' mod support.
So all I would have to do is port either the CS+ or freeware version to NXEngine and all should be peachy.
The problem is I have no idea how to start since I have no experience with Cave Story modding at all.
Any good resources you could point me to?

May 7, 2022 at 5:07 AM
Based Member
If your goal is to get familiar with modding freeware Cave Story, then your best entry point (in my opinion) is Noxid's 2-part video guide. Just scroll through the thread until you get to the video, and then after finding it, scroll through the thread some more until you get to the second video. After taking a pass over that, you can get a more comprehensive understanding of Cave Story modding through Noxid's text-based modding guide. Some people might say that Noxid's resources are outdated, and they'd probably be right, but I still think they're very good, fun, and engaging.

Once you've got a baseline of knowledge, I suggest skimming through the OP of this thread and this thread to get some generic information. Once you've done that, if you have questions specific to your endeavor of porting mods to NXEngine EVO, you can ask your questions in the Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread or in the CSMC Discord server.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:42 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yo, I think I'm gonna make a japanese version
of this mod...

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:20 AM
Based Member
Cool, do you know Japanese? If you know Japanese and are going to make a Japanese translation, feel free to share it, and if it's functional, I'd be happy to update the OP of this thread with a link to it.