Cave Story with a fourth ending

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Overall, I vastly prefer this ending. Seems more in line with what a True End should be. Everything resolved, everything happy, you made a difference! Sure, Toroko and King are alive, but I find it much happier with the impact as a whole. The only thing I like about the original game is Balrog and his choice in the end. I kinda liked him and feel that him deciding to live with Quote and Curly was a nice touch. Toroko is one of the hugest bummers in the original. The fact it's quite challenging to predict her movements, and she kills you quite easily, and you have to see the same death over and over is upsetting to me. "I get it game, stop making me see this!"

Just... there was one error in this mod that I glanced over at first! But figured I would let you know! I have no idea if it would be possible for you to fix it, nor do I care, but it ruins the slight happy feelings all around. This doesn't ruin the moment for me, nor do I remember any further errors! This is a minor one. Also, it slightly rubs me the wrong way that Sue becomes human again.... but that is just an odd quirk of mine and has no reflection on this mod!

True End Error.png

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:10 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed this mod. All the feedback is very encouraging.

Just... there was one error in this mod that I glanced over at first! But figured I would let you know! I have no idea if it would be possible for you to fix it, nor do I care, but it ruins the slight happy feelings all around. This doesn't ruin the moment for me, nor do I remember any further errors! This is a minor one.
You don't seem to be saying what the actual error is. What was it? There were a few errors that slipped through the initial few months of rigorous testing before I had andwhy port this mod to PSP and MAC, and those ended up getting fixed in the CS+ port. You can check the original post to see if the error you detected is listed there.

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed this mod. All the feedback is very encouraging.

You don't seem to be saying what the actual error is. What was it? There were a few errors that slipped through the initial few months of rigorous testing before I had andwhy port this mod to PSP and MAC, and those ended up getting fixed in the CS+ port. You can check the original post to see if the error you detected is listed there.

So the picture I sent didn't show up? That's discouraging... I sent a picture of the True Ending. In it, Curly is explaining the Colons that mean a lot to her and that she would like to know where they are and the dialogue is her saying "But they got snatched by by Misery some time ago." I was just informing you that you have two bys in the sentence and there should only be one. It's pretty much the giant explanation at the end after beating Ballos and Misery just got done explaining her mind control, and Curly was wondering where the Colons were.

This is for the original freeware version of the mod. I have no idea if the one for the newer one fixes this minor typo!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 4:07 AM
War criminal
"But they got snatched by by Misery some time ago."
Heh, that's something easily missable considering the structure of the dialogue. I really wonder now if that was ever pointed out in any of the 4th ending playthroughs

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:19 PM
Based Member
Oh... I totally missed that. After nearly 7 years of this mod being out for testing, you're the first to point out that error. Good catch.

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
yo. found corrupted puppy animation in psp port. here is screenshot from my phone
Screenshot_20190116-185655.png
weird.

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:01 AM
Based Member
That's interesting that the PSP emulator on your phone yields that error. For the PC version of this mod, I had to make a copy of that map so that I could use the NPC tilesets necessary to have the puppy show up right. When Andwhy ported this mod to PSP, he had to merge the two maps back, which should have caused the puppy to not show up right, but for some reason it turned out fine when he tested it on his PSP and had Cultr1 test it on his MAC. It doesn't surprise me that something weird would happen on a PSP emulator.

Unfortunately I can't think of any sort of remedy for that. There's not really anything I can say other than, I'm not surprised that there's an error there, but I am a little bit surprised that it took that long for a situation to arise where someone reported an issue with the way the puppy shows up in that cutscene on the MAC or PSP port.

May 28, 2019 at 8:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey, is there any possible way to upload this mod into Steam's Cave Story+?

May 28, 2019 at 8:54 PM
War criminal
There's always the Plus Porter if you want to replace any of the challenges with it, if that's what you mean. Otherwise, there is no Workshop page for CS+ on Steam.

May 28, 2019 at 9:14 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There's always the Plus Porter if you want to replace any of the challenges with it, if that's what you mean. Otherwise, there is no Workshop page for CS+ on Steam.

Alright. Also nevermind my last post. I just figured out what I needed to do, to make the Fourth Ending mod work on Cave Story+. Too bad there is no Workshop for it though as it would make things easier and faster.

I also noticed that it is not possible to change graphics on Challenge mode games? That is unfortunate.

May 28, 2019 at 9:21 PM
War criminal
Too bad there is no Workshop for it though as it would make things easier and faster.
I feel like CS mods would be the exact reason why there isn't a workshop page in the first place. Especially since how advanced modding has become over the past 3 years, let alone custom assets being a thing in the community since 2006. I feel like the least that can be uploaded in Steam are custom sprites in the Artwork tab, but that's pretty much it.

May 29, 2019 at 1:13 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
nicalis wouldnt condone a workshop page anyway

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't know if people still look at this thread, but I'm having trouble playing this mod. Whenever I try to open the Doukutsu application, it always gives me the Ä—pƒtƒ@ƒCƒ‹‚ª“Ç‚ß‚È‚¢. error. If anyone knows how to fix this it would be a great help, I REALLY don't have the heart to see Toroko die.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:40 PM
War criminal
Is the mod in its folder, or did you only extract the executable?

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What do you mean by extracting the executable? Like going in the folder and extracting the Doukutsu application, and if so yes.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:39 AM
War criminal
You need the whole folder in order to play the mod (extracted from the zip folder, of course!)
p372325-0-942icq.png

The executable needs everything in the data folder in the same directory with it, as well as the DoConfig file for window adjustments.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, ok then. Does this apply to other mods as well?

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:13 AM
Based Member
Oh hey, sorry I didn't see this until now, I was out this weekend and didn't have much internet access, but it looks like Serri had you covered. Thanks for trying out this mod over 8 years after its release, and I hope you enjoy it.