Cave Story - Redesign v0.50.6

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Just an update for you all:

I have two things to announce.
  • One, it may be some time till the next version is released.
  • Two, I've successfully managed elastic shutters and NPC x NPC collisions. How it works is NPCs are divided into two categories. Objects, and Actors. Actors do not collide with other Actors. However Actors will collide with other Objects, and Objects will collide with other Objects. Bullets and Quote both collide normally with both NPC sub-types. Here's a somewhat mundane example:
p122195-0-wbxljo.jpg

The block is considered an Object, and the Gaudi an Actor. They interact the same way that Quote interacts with the block. In this case, the gaudi is riding the block upwards. I'd also like to point out that Object x Actor collision does not work if the Actor never moves anyways (such as a missile pickup, or heart). (Yes, I know they do move when the background is a certain type, and the collisions work fine then, but that's only outside the island.) Also, this expanded collision detection has no negative effect on framerate.

There's still much work to be done before I can publish another version, and the shutter is in need of its own graphics, and the controller npc (a button you shoot with certain weapons) has not yet been made. I also plan to have a completely revamped crumble-block working too, that should (hopefully) work identically to the ones in super metroid.

Edit:
Fixed remaining problems with the shutter, and just finished writing in the the shootable button npc that affixes to the left or right of the shutter. It's color coded, and certain colors only respond to certain weapons. All that's left now is to finish up some of the remaining Labyrinth maps, write up the crumble block npc, and then... go replace all the previous crumble blocks with the new crumble block... and go replace all the previous shutters with the new one. ^ ^;

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:19 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hello. I'll give a thorough review on this mod when I've reached the end of the demo, but I've gotten out of the fight with Balrog in Grasstown, and I seem to be trapped... Does anyone know where to go?

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Based Member
Ok, sorry. It was up late last night and I was tired. I look back and realize how un-detailed that post was. I'm right here:
WheredoIgo.jpg

The path to the right is a dead end, as well as the path to the left. And I can't find any path by going through the power room. Also, I can't get back up from where I came, so it looks like I'm stuck. Was I supposed to have acquired some sort of booster by this point? I kept the game running last night because there is no save point here, and I don't want to have to fight Balrog again.
Anyway, this mod is awesome, and you should feel awesome. Like I said, I'll give a full review when I've reached the end of the demo.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM
That pole in the middle is a lever. Stand infront of it, and press down. I'll add sparkles later just to help illustrate what to do next, sorry.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Based Member
Aha! Thank you. Also, since you know assembly, it might be good to make some kind of tile animation or something to make it more obvious what's exactly happening as you're going up or down, instead of have a transition.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
This mod certainly seems to be an excellent fusion of two of my favorite things, Super Metroid and Cave Story. I really like the crumble blocks, adds to some of the challenge.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:43 AM
Aha! Thank you. Also, since you know assembly, it might be good to make some kind of tile animation or something to make it more obvious what's exactly happening as you're going up or down, instead of have a transition.

Well, grasstown was finished quite some time ago. I may do an animated platform later, though. But not now.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:30 AM
Sorry for the double post.

Major Update. Now v0.50.0, and y'all can finally get your hands on the Grappling Hook!

Please report any problems, bugs, etc. asap. And sorry, but this patch works best if starting from a completely new save file.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Based Member
And sorry, but this patch works best if starting from a completely new save file.
Darn... Well, guess it's for the better. Anyway, this mod is great, I'm trying to find the time to finish the demo of this and give it my review. Guess I'll have to start over. :p

Oh, by the way. Are there any bug fixes in this version prior to fighting Balrog? Cause I have several to report when I review this, but I want to make sure I'm not reporting any glitches or typos that have been fixed.

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Based Member
Bluh. Not that this mod isn't great, but I haven't been much in the mood to continue lately. I'll Give it a rating and review and everything when I finally reach the end of the demo, but for now I'll go ahead and post all of my bug reports, suggestions, and concerns up to the fight with Balrog in Grasstown.

Glitches:
1) When you shoot the bats, there's no squeal sound effect.
2) Wow! Amazing additions you've made to the tilesets. Most if not all of the new odd sizes though, don't have a properly re-sized collision box to accommodate its graphical dimensions. As a result, these are rather awkward:
I bump at the bottom of this tile prematurely:
Collision.jpg
I can't pass any farther:
Collision2.jpg
I can't jump any higher. I immediately hit the ceiling despite the small amount of distance between Quote and the ceiling:
Collision3.jpg
3) During cutscenes when Quote is walking, his gun disappears, and his gun reappears later. I know that other mods do this too, but I think that a talented assembly hacker such as yourself should do something about this.
4) In the resovior, I see that you've made the pots into NPCs. Well, all of the pots except for the one next to Kanpachi causes Quote's back to temporarily turn toward you, and instantly back around. I usually see this when the event was not properly assigned. Note that this only happens before I've talked to Kanpachi a second time, and after I've gotten the silver locket.
5) This is a very big glitch. After I got the Silver Locket, I went over to where Toroko is, and she ran away like she should upon the horizontal/vertical trigger being triggered, so then I went back to the resovior, but then came back to find Toroko at the exit of the Resovior again, but this time needing you to talk to her in order for her to say, "No! Stay away!" and run off again. In the event of this, her NPC disappears off of the screen prematurely. When I go back to the main village, the cutscene between Toroko and King executes once again. If I leave the reappearing Toroko alone, then the cutscene between King and Toroko does not execute, but King is there standing, and if I talk to him, then he'll act as though he's been knocked down, and say, "Grrrrr! Toroko! You're not getting away that easily!" Also, if I go back to the Resovoir after this has happened, and go beyond a certain piont, then Toroko will appear again, and I can do this an indefinite number of times. However, I don't need to make Toroko appear in order to get the "No! Stay away!" dialog to execute, because if she hasn't reappeared, then I can still go up to the empty position where she would be, and press down and the dialog will still happen. If I've done this, then the cutscene between King and Toroko still happens. So yeah, this is quite a big glitch. Based on what I saw by reading through this thread, it looks like you had some trouble with this earlier, and that this glitch frustrated you. Sorry to break it to you that this hasn't been fixed.
6) When Toroko attacks me in her and Sue's hideout, there's no squeal sound when I shoot her.
7) The treasure chest in the graveyard. After I've opened it, when it's empty, I am able to jump around while the "It's empty..." text is going. Looks like you forgot to add the <PRI or <KEY command.
8) In the Egg Corridor, if I land in here:
Cantgetout.jpg
then I can't jump high enough to get out, and have to either reset the game, or wait for the Basil to kill me.
9) In the Egg Corridor: Stratus, I was able to make those beetles you ride form this position:
Cantpass.jpg
so that I couldn't pass, and had to reset the game.
10) In the Egg corridor, there's something invisible in the water by egg number 1 that hurts me when I touch it for some reason. I can't shoot it, so I don't know what it is.
Death.jpg
11) When I talk to the unconscious Sue after defeating Igor, I am able to jump for a short period of time.
12) At some point when you're talking to Sue when she's caged, "doctor," is not capitalized. I believe that this same issue was present in some dialog of Sue's in the Aeon Genesis Translation of Cave Story when Sue was caged, so I'm not sure if that's why you overlooked it, or if you are trying to be consistent.
13) The victory jingle for the bat swarm ends too early.
14) I was at the fight with Balrog in Grasstown. I was at his third "form" and he cornered me, and pounced on me. At that exact moment, I shot a super missile. Then I died, but I'm not getting offered to restart the game, and everything continues except I can't do anything. So I had to reset the game.
15) "He must of slept through the whole thing!" Shouldn't that either be, "must have," or "must've,"? Not, "must of,"? I'm pretty sure.
16) Look at what I can do with the fireball:
Interestingpath.jpg

Improvements:
- Somewhere near the beginning where you have a horizontal/vertical trigger, it looks like you used the <KEY command. I've always thought that it looks more professional to use the <PRI command for those, cause that's what Pixel did.
- The giant critter in the first cave (Lower something [Antron?]). I feel that it's victory jingle starts too soon. I've always thought it best to put a few seconds between the defeat of the boss and the victory jingle. Having it immediately play after you've delivered the last blow just doesn't flow well in my opinion.
- A skip flag for the fight with Balrog in Grasstown would be nice.

Other Concerns:
- In my personal opinion, I've always thought that using th debug cat just for the sake of using a sprite that wasn't used in Cave Story is an act of laziness. I'm not against having someone who guides you like him, but it wouldn't hurt to have it be a more unique character. If it's only temporary, and you'll eventually get a different character, then ok.
- In egg number zero, since the unconscious Sue is more at the right side of the room, she doesn't look much like she's looking at egg number 0 when she acknowledges it.
- In my opinion, the Mannans have too much HP.
- In that path of currents in the Resovior to get the life capsule, the downward current to the right of it is deceiving. I expected it to lead me to another part of the map, not to my death.
- It is VERY hard to go through that tunnel of currents in the Resovior without drowning. Even if you get another gasp of air in that place with the life capsule at the very last place you can before going under again, you have to go through those series of currents faster than I think you should have to in order to make it back t shore without drowning. I've gone through those currents pretty quickly before, and still not been able to make it. The first time I made it back to shore, I had about three air left before I emerged from the water. It was too close to call. I was actually able to make it out with ten air left, but I got REALLY lucky with flowing perfectly into the right currents at the right time. I think you should either make the water traversing path shorter, make the air depletion go slower, or enable some kind of air expansion before you enter the resovior for the first time.
- I believe someone told you this earlier on in this thread. It really isn't good to reward the player's exploration with death. This looks really deceiving:
Deception.jpg

Well, this mod is really great. Eventually, I'll do a little more than just report bugs and make suggestions. But until then, very nice work you've done.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1) Not all mobs have proper sound effects yet.
2) That's because I have not written in engine support for complex or configurable tile shapes yet, and trying to stand on an upside down sloped tile is very glitchy (and does not work at all); thus, that tile is actually square.
3) That's because that is not Quote that you're seeing, it is an NPC that looks like Quote. And I'm well aware of the fact the NPC does not render a weapon for itself ( and making it do so is a lot more complicated than you might think.)
4) I'll look into it.
5) Alright, thanks for the bug report.
6) Not all mobs have proper sound effects yet.
7) Okay.
8) Shoot the wall on the right.
9) Walk left, fall down, ride beetle to the right or jump across to reach forwards.
10) The acid is denser there, see how it looks different? It hurts.
11) Noted.
12) Noted.
13) Will check.
14) Super missiles create a lot of smoke and effects, which tends to overload the NPC's high-tier table briefly, it's very very complicated as to what is precisely going wrong and I haven't pinpointed it yet. (ie: Super missile some monsters that break into smaller monsters will not work properly)
15) Thanks grammar police.
16) I've known about that for a while.

"improvements"
- Whether or not to use <KEY or <PRI is dependent on the nature of the trigger, and what the player is doing at the time.
- There is no skipflag for Balrog's fight because there is a choice to be made.

"other concerns"
- I've no intention of changing the tutorial cat's sprite, since it only appears a few times and uses skipflags.
- The downward current in the reservoir WILL lead to part of the waterway, but currently it does not.
- You're trying to get the life capsule too soon. From what you've described, you have not completed the hack. That life capsule is intended to be obtained once you have either the Sparkler or the Power Boots, or both.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Based Member
1) and 6) But the thing that confuses me is that those both worked fine in the original CS, and you're using the same NPCs.
2) Alright.
3) Indeed. Just might be something to consider adding when you're polishing this mod.
8), 9), and 10) Ah.
14) Ok.
15) It just seems like in a professional mod like this, you'd want to correct everything you can. If it was the link and not the correction itself that irritated you, then sorry. Guess I got a bit paranoid after this:
DualHack said:
HaydenStudios: Glitches: 2) "You got the Micheane Gun," Machine Gun is misspelled.
DualHack: For 2nd Glitch is sopossed to splet like that, (Meach-ea-nea).
16) Alright.

Dubby said:
- There is no skipflag for Balrog's fight because there is a choice to be made.
Nevertheless, it is annoying to have to go through all that dialog over and over again. You could at least use an <SAT skipflag. Whatever, it's your mod.
Dubby said:
- The downward current in the reservoir WILL lead to part of the waterway, but currently it does not.
Ah, ok.
Dubby said:
- You're trying to get the life capsule too soon. From what you've described, you have not completed the hack. That life capsule is intended to be obtained once you have either the Sparkler or the Power Boots, or both.
Ah. So I'm not supposed to get it that early on. I've actually been able to get it and make it back to shore without drowning before even going to the Egg Corridor. Is it supposed to be impossible to get it that early on without drowning? Cause I've done it, it's just difficult. Guess I had the whole thing backwards in terms of criticizing the difficulty.

Anyway, this is your mod and you can do whatever you want with it. Sorry if I irritated you a bit with some of my suggestions and the headings used for certain categories.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Ah. So I'm not supposed to get it that early on. I've actually been able to get it and make it back to shore without drowning before even going to the Egg Corridor. Is it supposed to be impossible to get it that early on without drowning? Cause I've done it, it's just difficult. Guess I had the whole thing backwards in terms of criticizing the difficulty.

No, just difficult.

The only area you -need- to visit in order to progress is the egg corridor (for the missile launcher). After that, you can skip Grasstown entirely if you want, by using the backdoor to the Catacombs. Getting across the spike pit requires keeping a ghost/spirit as a "pet", and timing the jump so it knocks Quote up just enough to get over the pit. From there, you can do all the rest of the Catacombs without the Fireball. When you reach Eastcliff, stay to the west side to obtain the Fireball. From there, it's business as usual. Granted of course, doing this will prevent you from being able to actually leave the Labyrinth, as you need to rescue Kazuma in order to obtain the hacker tool to fix the teleporters. But, that's only because the mod ends at the Labyrinth (just before Monster-X).

May 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The sparkler in 0.5 onwards appears bugged. When fired downwards, my horizontal velocity dies completely. I suspect this would make beating the beginning of Labyrinth impossible.

May 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
alright, I'm gonna try and complete this game for the third time in a row

v_v

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:36 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I think I've finished the hack as far as you have made it, and I have enjoyed it very much.
I have found a few bugs though, and here they are.

1. From "Sand Zone: Low Barrens" to "Outer Wall" When in fullscreen, "Outer Wall" Background is really messed up. All sorts of images from the game in a very glitchy manner.

2. Lvl3 Autogun cannot activate lift in the second chamber to the left of the right save point in "Sand Zone: Low Barrens".
The one to the right of Jenka's house. The Autogun was the only thing I had that was capable of activating the lift, but when the Autogun is Lvl3, the bullets stop just short of the lift.

3. The Autogun is pointed at a slight angle when aimed straight up.

4. You can get the Super Missile near the beginning of "Outer Wall" if you use one of the white ball projectiles from the ghost to bounce in. If you pick it up, CS appears to freeze, then after about 10 seconds, it goes on. Can you shorten the time? And make it so you don't have to be hit by a ball to get it?
You can also get it if you go to "Eastside" when you fall down the ravine instead of "Droll Cave". Then you go all the way through "Eastside" and fall down to "Outer Wall". Then you can get the Booster from one of the islands and use that to get the Super Missiles. Getting the Booster this way also means that I don't really need the Sparkler of the Grapple Hook when in the Labyrinth.

5. There is a large spike death trap to the right of the Sand Zone teleporter. The very left side of the spikes, right against the wall will not hurt you. Not the first two to the right, but the large one after those.

6. In "Sand Zone: Western Sands". There is a section near the end that allows you to climb above the level and off the screen. Once you get up there, you can't get back down. I got up there using the Booster.
---
Lastly. Giving the Doubleshot upgrade right before the Curly fight made it way too easy. Maybe have her give the upgrade?

I made it out of the Labyrinth, couldn't find the Blaze Blaster, and couldn't find the medicine for curly. Is this the end of the current version?

I am looking forward the next update.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM
1. Weird
2. Thanks for pointing that out, that happens because of a difference in the hitbox and wallbox of the lv2 bullet vs the lv3 bullet.
3. It shouldn't be, the bullets should spread out and stay vertical.
4. You use the fireball to open the way to the chest. The eastside trick will eventually require having obtained the sparkler early, or using the sparkler to go back up through the Droll Cave and scale the wall [like morphball bomb jumping in super metroid sort of] and then out through Eastside.
5. That's intentional, it should be 'difficult' to accidentally fall down there.
6. That's incomplete. It will lead up to another area of the sandzone which is comprised largely of sandfalls and quicksand lakes. The engine support for those features hasn't been written yet.
--
*Good idea for the doubleshot upgrade.
*Once you reach the clinic and leave via the right door, that map contains the blaze blaster. You will have to get your feet wet to reach it, and it is significantly easier to reach if you have either the Grappling Hook or the Booster.
*There is no medicine for curly yet. Yes this is the end of the current version.

I don't know when the next update will be. However given some of the current bugs, I may address those individually rather than in a new [big] update.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
This is my first post on these forums. *Timid Wave* I have tried Cave Story - Redesign and I have some stuff to say about it.

1. It's possible to get back to Egg Corridor by using a teleport found in one of the houses in grasstown. (I think it's Chaco's house.) The warp appears after you get the power boots and I think the sparkler. If used, you can't go to the storehouse since it locks you in Egg Corridor. It gives you a message saying something about a wind tunnel and it says that it will send you to Egg Corridor since your unable to go there by teleporter now. It teleports you to the Egg control room.
2. There's a room with a computer in Egg Corridor that get's unlocked after you get the autohacker. If you check the computer, it doesn't give you the option to fix the teleporter, making you stuck in Egg Corridor)
3. The enemy's shot's go through random floors found in Egg Corridor Stratus. Even if they go through the floor, they can still damage you.
4. In Egg Corridor Stratus, there appears to be places you can try and go, but you can't due to some invisible blocks. I assume this is made so people don't get farther into the game. (There's at least one more place where it blocks you off, but I can't find it again.)
5. There are some blocks where you can shoot through. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not.
6. As far as I know, it's impossible to get a life upgrade in Egg Corridor.
7. It appears that the fire block down there where the teleporter is in Egg Corridor that can't be hit from above using the fireball's glitchy bounce physics. My guess is that the area down there isn't made yet.
8. Some enemy placements in Underwood makes you get hit no matter what. The giant pink pignon near the supply shed with the fly wheel and a dragonfly when you fail trying to get the life capsle in Santa's House.
9. This one isn't major, but an annoyance. For some reason while playing through the game, I missed the grapple beam. I've read about it and you get it from the gunsmith(?) and I just didn't get it for some reason. (Unless you get it after the labyrinth)
10. It's already mentioned, but still an annoyance, getting the super missle upgrade. The only way is to pull off an insanely hard jump, or damage boost yourself into the spot. When getting it, the game kinda freezes up and then fixes itself after the "Get Item" jingle ends.
11. When exploring Egg Corridor Stratus before Grasstown, it's possible to get yourself stuck in a spot with no way to get out without damage boosting yourself up, or killing your self.
12. I think the reserve tank collects hearts when your at full hp. It fills up at stations for sure. When you get hit and your hp hits 0, the reserve tank kicks in at times even if it's empty. Going along with this, it sometimes makes you take damage from the same thing you lost all your hp to, making it possible to die instantly. (E.X. Red spikes in Sand zone)
13. I just realized... I think Jenka has 6 dogs. I recall getting the fifth one, then fighting the sand snake and then seeing another dog.
14. I don't know if the sparkler has any differences between any of it's levels. I think it has more sparks when you use it at a higher level, but it doesn't seem to help much.
15. I just noticed that if you have an empty reserve tank, if you try and use it, the dialogue box disappears for a bit, then says "Do you want to remove it?" Saying yes makes it act like your using the power boots. After that, it says that the reserve tank is named "Power Boots" and acts like them. If you change the cursor to a different item and back, it fixes it self.

Overall, I think it's a great hack that's in progress. I would like to see this finished some time. I don't have any bug issues in the labyrinth since I haven't gotten there yet.
I tried to use the the spoiler tag to add some pictures, but wasn't having any luck with it. I'm still new around these forums. (Yes, I did look around and saw one topic about it, but It didn't look like it was correct in the preview.)