Cave Story on Nintendo Switch

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When i get a switch, this is gonna be my first game... besides 1 2 switch (because it comes with it i think).

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:00 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Got the shipping notif yesterday! And now we wait...

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:16 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Just got mine a couple of hours ago. One thing I didn't know was that all of the pre-order bonuses came stuffed into the shrinkwrapped game, so there is no way to tell what keychain you got, or to pick which one you want for that matter.

Regarding the keychain, I'm a little disappointed how it came out. There is some obvious discoloration on the hair, a number of small specks, and it even looks a bit dirty all-around. Here is a picture for reference:
20170620_151549.jpg
Real talk, if anyone wants to trade keychains, I'd really like to have either Quote or Balrog instead. ;)

Despite all of that, I would really like to thank Nicalis for not only all of the awesome goodies for pre-ordering, but also for the improved game. They get a lot of crap, but I appreciate all of the work they put into updating this game.

EDIT: Gotta say this manual is DOPE. I love everything about it, especially the section at the end.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 10:01 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Bought mine the second my gamestop opened.

I wanted curly but quote is a good boy too, anyways I rate it 7/10, honestly not enough content to warrant the $30 unless you pre-ordered it and got all that fun loot.

The chinfish was renamed the eggfish so that sucks.

Last cave lava looks nice.

Hell looks nice.

I don't think multiplayer is out on day one, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: TPcool I'll trade you

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:09 PM
LSD
"..."
I did not get to pre-order it at my local places for some reason but I was able to snatch the one copy they had at the target nearest my house which was awesome. the manual and music disk was a fantastic surprise. this is the only game I've purchased physically so for that I'm very grateful. I'll post a pic of me and my "new favorite video game" in a moment

edit: this picture was not worth taking for the sake of my mouth
p358987-0-6yldyvs.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Got it on release day!

I was predicting that I get Balrog keychain and it came true, here is proof:

6-20-2017 2;13;16 PM.PNG

Priority order based on my prediction:
1. Balrog
2. Quote
3. Curly

What I'm thinking:
I really wanted a Balrog, I would do fine if I get Quote, but I would certainly faint if I get Curly.

Aftermath:
Yes, YES! I called it! I got Balrog.

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:38 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
They're pretty clear on the American GameStop page that you do get a random keychain...
Well, right, it is supposed to be random. But I was hoping that the keychain would be packaged separately, or at least visible from some part of the packaging. That way I could have potentially asked an employee to swap it out for one that I would rather have gotten. My friend who works at Gamestop told me that you could probably get it swapped out if you asked them, but given the way they packaged Cave Story Switch it just wasn't possible.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, right, it is supposed to be random. But I was hoping that the keychain would be packaged separately, or at least visible from some part of the packaging. That way I could have potentially asked an employee to swap it out for one that I would rather have gotten. My friend who works at Gamestop told me that you could probably get it swapped out if you asked them, but given the way they packaged Cave Story Switch it just wasn't possible.
That sounds incredibly unfair though. Day one keychain swaps at the counter would just skew what everyone else gets.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
That sounds incredibly unfair though. Day one keychain swaps at the counter would just skew what everyone else gets.
Perhaps you're right. Maybe it is selfish of me to want to pick and choose the one I want instead of going through the random process. Sure, it would skew what everybody else gets, but I'm not convinced that it would matter. That may sound harsh at first, but think about it this way: no single keychain OR character is more inherently sought after than another. With everybody that I've heard from regarding the keychains, there is absolutely no way you could tell me that any of the three are more wanted than the others. I myself want Quote, and I've heard from plenty of people (some in this thread, even) who want Balrog and Curly more. Hell, @Hax4Ever and I are trading keychains because he prefers Curly, which I have, and I prefer Quote, which he has. So what does this all mean?

Let me conjure up a simple hypothetical: there was one other person besides me who pre-ordered Cave Story Switch at my local Gamestop (this much is actually true), and let's say the two keychains they sent were one Quote and one Curly. Let's say that the keychains were given out separately instead of packed inside the box, so that way I could have swapped it out for the one I wanted. If I actually manage to take the Quote keychain and leave this other person with the Curly keychain, thus skewing what that person got, who is to say that this person wanted Quote more than Curly? There's no way to tell. None of them are more wanted than the other. Hell, for all I know, I may have benefited the person by leaving them with the Curly keychain in this situation. So, no, I do not believe this is "incredibly unfair."

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:07 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
no single keychain OR character is more inherently sought after than another.

From what I've seen Balrog is the most wanted keychain, so I don't think this statement holds up.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 6:15 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
From what I've seen Balrog is the most wanted keychain, so I don't this statement holds up.
Well, as far as I know, all we have is anecdotal evidence. I can safely say that I've heard the most want for the Curly keychain myself, and obviously you or others may have heard from other people who want different ones more. However, in my opinion, my point still stands that it's overall still a very mixed opinion.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:00 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'm gonna get this game and then a Switch for Christmas. Hopefully I'm early enough to get the preorder version. I hope I don't get the Curly key chain. Getting it from here https://smile.amazon.com/Cave-Story...=1498094591&sr=8-1&keywords=cave+story+switch

Apparently curly is the most common though, judging off of unboxing videos. I've seen one quote, and have yet to see a balrog.
Quote is my favorite of the 3 keychains.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 4:06 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Balrog is very rare

he has like a 1 in 12 chance of being in the box, judging by the Nicalis Twitter

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:13 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Woah. CS+ just arrived at my door 3 days earlier than expected and that instruction booklet is a thing of beauty.

Got the Quote keychain.

I'm gonna get this game and then a Switch for Christmas. Hopefully I'm early enough to get the preorder version. I hope I don't get the Curly key chain. Getting it from here
The keychain was a Gamestop exclusive and the release date has passed.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:54 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The keychain was a Gamestop exclusive and the release date has passed.
Dang. I'll still get the mini-CD and Manual, at least.
Edit: Anyone wanna give me a keychain and pouch for $10?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 1:22 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
You can carry two containers of jellyfish juice at once by the looks.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:49 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
What's brand new?
Is there new story content?
Stuff that might explain Wind Fortress for instance; or place it in the main game?

From an interview (with Nicalis?):
youtube link

Maybe they will be future content updates...? Like 2P mode, which is coming out later this summer.
twitter link