Cave Story MODS for MAC OS X and PSP?

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:17 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
shadowcrazy said:
no offense but i guess you didn't read my post when i said i KNOW how to open it and install it...im saying IDK where the DIRECTORIES are...as in the folders where all the stuff is and where you would edit everything and add mods...i know how to open it...im not an idiot
Um... everything is in the same folder as Doukutsu.exe.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:24 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
Um... everything is in the same folder as Doukutsu.exe.

if it was that easy then i wouldnt be asking

macs are different there isnt a "my computer" or a "programs" folder or any of that...and if im using a program crossover to install these exe files for me then im not gonna know where a program is putting all these files

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:54 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Any file that starts with a period will not be viewable using traditional folder navigation; it's an invisible file/directory that can only be modified by root or the user/application that created it, so the only way to access it is to use the terminal, type "sudo cd ~/.cxoffice" or "sudo cd ~/.cxgames", but the directories you listed are irrelevant to running Cave Story on Windows in any case.

On Mac the files Cave Story uses to run (and are modified by mods) are stored in "Applications/Cave Story/Contents/Resources". Yes, they are. If you right click on the Cave Story application, wherever it may be and whatever you've called it, you'll have the option to "Show package contents."

I once tried to use Jenka's Nightmare by replacing the files with those from Jenka's Nightmare, and it actually worked! Sorta... The introductory scene was loopy, but everything else displayed correctly, except for the parrots. So I tried another mod, and it froze. So your mileage will vary if you do try this approach. And it might actually work properly on Intel Macs, because it uses a different binary that's closer to the x86 version of CS for Windows. (Universal Binary can be another term for Dual Binary; different code can and probably will be used between PPC and Intel Macs.)

Your only other alternative is to run CS in a Windows environment. However, if you use a PPC, none of the stuff that these blokes are suggesting is going to work, because WINE requires an x86/x64 environment in order to function correctly, and so does Crossovers, VMWare Fusion, or any other Windows emulating tool. At this point it would be simpler to just use Bootcamp if you are, in fact, using an Intel Mac.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:58 PM
In front of a computer
shadowcrazy said:
macs are different there isnt a "my computer" or a "programs" folder or any of that...and if im using a program crossover to install these exe files for me then im not gonna know where a program is putting all these files
Excuse me? Do you really think I'd be answering your question if I didn't know how to use a Mac?

Now then. Tell me exactly what you have done so far, then maybe I can help.

Schokobecher said:
in Linux the files are in ~/.cxoffice or ~/.cxgames (and then local_drive stuff)
Irrelevant, he's using a Mac.

The Bytemaster said:
Any file that starts with a period will not be viewable using traditional folder navigation; it's an invisible file/directory that can only be modified by root or the user/application that created it, so the only way to access it is to use the terminal, type "sudo cd ~/.cxoffice" or "sudo cd ~/.cxgames",
Not true; invisible folders can also be accessed with the "Go to Folder" option in the "Go" menu (provided you know the path). It's particularly useful if you want to look in places like "/usr/local". Also, the sudo is probably unnecessary if you do use the terminal.

The Bytemaster said:
n Mac the files Cave Story uses to run (and are modified by mods) are stored in "Applications/Cave Story/Contents/Resources". Yes, they are. If you right click on the Cave Story application, wherever it may be and whatever you've called it, you'll have the option to "Show package contents."
I believe he's actually talking about running the Windows version of Cave Story on CrossOver Mac.

The Bytemaster said:
I once tried to use Jenka's Nightmare by replacing the files with those from Jenka's Nightmare, and it actually worked! Sorta... The introductory scene was loopy, but everything else displayed correctly, except for the parrots. So I tried another mod, and it froze. So your mileage will vary if you do try this approach.
It would only work with mods that don't alter the executable much, I expect.

The Bytemaster said:
And it might actually work properly on Intel Macs, because it uses a different binary that's closer to the x86 version of CS for Windows. (Universal Binary can be another term for Dual Binary; different code can and probably will be used between PPC and Intel Macs.)
It uses the same binary on PowerPC and Intel, just a different section of it. As you said, Universal Binary means there's separate code for PPC and Intel.

The Bytemaster said:
Your only other alternative is to run CS in a Windows environment. However, if you use a PPC, none of the stuff that these blokes are suggesting is going to work, because WINE requires an x86/x64 environment in order to function correctly, and so does Crossovers, VMWare Fusion, or any other Windows emulating tool.
I'm pretty sure he has an Intel Mac; doesn't 10.5 require it?

The Bytemaster said:
At this point it would be simpler to just use Bootcamp if you are, in fact, using an Intel Mac.
Not really, because a) you need a copy of Windows and b) you need to reboot every time you want to play.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:33 PM
Celtic Minstrel said:
I'm pretty sure he has an Intel Mac; doesn't 10.5 require it?
Not true; OS X Leopard is a dual binary that can run on PPC and x86 computers. (well, Apple computers, unless you want to void the EULA)

Celtic Minstrel said:
Not really, because a) you need a copy of Windows and b) you need to reboot every time you want to play.
Also not true; if you use VM Ware Fusion you can use Windows without having to reboot, and my understanding is you have to have a copy of Windows in order to use Crossovers as well. WINE is the exception here, but I've never had any luck with it in Linux. Given it was in alpha when I tried it, but it still suffers from missing components; unsupported DLLs, plug-ins, Quicktime, DirectX, etc.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM
actually i'm not trying to play cavestory on crossover...in fact im trying to avoid this...thats why i was asking for people to take to heart the mac users when creating mods...i want to do as little as i can with this since idk much about modding or adding mods on game...especially in a mac...so i guess ill just try to dump the files in the cave story resources file like suggested and if it ends up fucking up my game ill just delete the app and download a fresh one from the site

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM
It's already been stated in this topic that that's probably not going to work, and if it does it's almost guaranteed not to be 100%. The only solution is to run CS in a Windows environment until somebody figures out what the hex offsets for Mac CS are compared to Windows CS.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM
In front of a computer
The Bytemaster said:
Not true; OS X Leopard is a dual binary that can run on PPC and x86 computers. (well, Apple computers, unless you want to void the EULA)
Oh, alright then.

The Bytemaster said:
Also not true; if you use VM Ware Fusion you can use Windows without having to reboot, and my understanding is you have to have a copy of Windows in order to use Crossovers as well. WINE is the exception here, but I've never had any luck with it in Linux. Given it was in alpha when I tried it, but it still suffers from missing components; unsupported DLLs, plug-ins, Quicktime, DirectX, etc.
CrossOver is actually built on a custom build of WINE (different from the Darwine package that's also available for Mac), and it works quite well for me. I think Cave Story can run on CrossOver.

shadowcrazy said:
actually i'm not trying to play cavestory on crossover...in fact im trying to avoid this...thats why i was asking for people to take to heart the mac users when creating mods...i want to do as little as i can with this since idk much about modding or adding mods on game...especially in a mac...so i guess ill just try to dump the files in the cave story resources file like suggested and if it ends up fucking up my game ill just delete the app and download a fresh one from the site
It won't damage your game if you make a backup of the data folder (which is inside the .app). The game doesn't write to any of the files other than the preferences file, which is somewhere else entirely.

And we were simply pointing out that it's probably possible to play most mods on CrossOver if you are so inclined.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM
i guess i have no choice...*sigh* crossover it is

so i guess my next question is are there any COMPLETE mods? ive been looking through the mod showcase and so far have found NONE that are fully complete and im wondering if there is at least one...only because i dont want to have to keep thinking of files and what to do with them if i want to install other mods

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:33 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I guess a mod is never finished.

But try Mods like:
Cave Story - Tale of the Broxxus
-=The Future=-
Jenkas Nightmare
<(Schism)>
WTF Story
oh and
Cave Story ~ The Lost Mage and Pirate