Cave Story MODS for MAC OS X and PSP?

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:21 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
we all love cavestory...and we all would love to play the mods in the showcase...but thats the problem...not all of us can play mods...i am new here so idk where to post this topic so i put it here.

but im a MAC and PSP user and i have cave story on both of them and all i have is one question and one simple request (or not so simple..depends on how to do it)

i want someone out there...anybody nice and skilled enough to find a way to convert the best mods in this forum so they can be installed and played in MAC OS X and PSP

im pretty technically challenged so idk if this is easy or hard but i just hope someone can do it

all i know is that for PSP it could be really hard since all the PSP cave story is just an EBOOT file...but maybe you could combine cave story with some of the important mods (sequels and prequels and epic sidestories) into one EBOOT file that can be played

and as for MAC OS X idk maybe it can be done or maybe not but yeah i just want to be able to enjoy the game that changed a small part of my gaming life with more bang with these mods....can anyone help?

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:49 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
That's really been bugging me too, where's the love for the Mac users? Well anyways, your best bet as of now is either running Windows in Boot Camp or getting a virtual machine program like Parallels, but either way you'll have to buy a copy of Windows. I use Parallels to play mods and it works fine.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:25 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
well glad someone replied...wish they would show mac love :( but apparently not...damn didnt want to waste any money...guess i have no choice...thanks anyways

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:20 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Well that's what you get for using MAC! Nah, I'm just kidding. Someone should definitely write a PC <-> MAC converter, so that MAC users can play the mods too. Or you could use a Windows emulator, if there is one. Is there?

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM
technically there is but i need to buy an authentic windows CD...and not only that i need to free a SH*T load of GB off my mac so i can have enough space for the windows and all the cave story mods and such :( so in short im screwed :'( guess ill never get to enjoy all these great mods until i buy a PC

and it sucks even more that apparently no one has a way to convert these mods into a seperate EBOOT game so i can play them on PSP :(

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You want mods for mac or PSP? Start documenting the executable/eboot. That's what I did for the windows to mac save converter. If you documented commonly hex edited sections of the executable or sections modified by CE/SW and you could create a decent converter, but with no guarantee that it will create a 1:1 copy of someone's mod. SP even said repeatedly with several of his editors that he would support modding of the mac version as long as someone gave her the offsets.

There is a project called Agora's Legends that would solve the issue of cross-platform modding, but it is in hiatus until JTE can afford $400 to retrieve the source files off of his dead, yet recoverable, hard drive.

p.s. I left somewhere on the forums the c++ source code for ufo_z's CS PSP data file packer if anyone is interested. A hint: I made a similar thread to this a while back (about psp mods), it should be there.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
CrossOver works fine with Mac & Cave Story
:(

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:46 PM
In front of a computer
shadowcrazy said:
and as for MAC OS X idk maybe it can be done or maybe not but yeah i just want to be able to enjoy the game that changed a small part of my gaming life with more bang with these mods....can anyone help?
Well, if anyone was going to explore the executable, they'd have to keep in mind that Cave Story is a Universal application, which means that many things (all the code, at a bare minimum) will appear twice in the file, once for the PowerPC architecture and once for the Intel x86 architecture.

T-Jack said:
Or you could use a Windows emulator, if there is one. Is there?
Plenty of them. WINE is free to download, but sadly doesn't work with programs that need DirectX or OpenGL due to a bug in Apple's X11. If you have any knowledge of coding, you could probably do what CrossOver did and compile a version of X11 and WINE that works properly. Or you could just buy CrossOver; that's generally how I play Windows games. (I got it for free, though – they decided to give it away for a day for some reason.)

Schokobecher said:
CrossOver works fine with Mac & Cave Story
:(
If I recall correctly, Cave Story works about as well on CrossOver as it does on Win98, which is to say it works fine but is annoyingly slow.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM
Vanished.
Then you recall wrong.
I'm a beta taster at Codeweavers.
and it works fine with CrossOver Linux, Wine, Cedega.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:41 PM
well glad so many people are telling me this...but like i said before im technically challenged so i have no idea of what most of you are talking about...all i know is i have a macbook (regular white one) with mac os x 10.5.7 and i have crossover games on it too but like someone said it basically runs super slow..and not only that since im technically challenged i have no idea where to find the folder to put the files...or even where to put them and such...

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:16 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Here's a tutorial for installing Wine if you wanna give that a try. It's a little complicated, but it's worth a shot. The benefit is that you don't need to buy a copy of Windows.
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:28 PM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
SP even said repeatedly with several of his editors that he would support modding of the mac version as long as someone gave her the offsets.

If there would be someone with a mac in my ICQ/MSN contact list it could be easier, because I can give him/her edited files to test.
But I CAN'T figure out all the offsets at my own, that's impossible, I need some help from someone who knows some hacking.

Celtic Minstrel said:
If I recall correctly, Cave Story works about as well on CrossOver as it does on Win98, which is to say it works fine but it annoyingly slow.

If I recall correctly, Cave Story worked fine (no slowdowns) on my old Win98. :(

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM
In front of a computer
Yakkers said:
Here's a tutorial for installing Wine if you wanna give that a try. It's a little complicated, but it's worth a shot. The benefit is that you don't need to buy a copy of Windows.
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
The problem is, Apple's version of X11 has a problem that prevents it from finding the OpenGL dylib (that's the Mac equivalent of a DLL). If you're going to go to the trouble of getting WINE that way, you might as well build X11 yourself too. And if you don't want to do that, there's a much easier way; just download and install from the Darwine page.

S. P. Gardebiter said:
If I recall correctly, Cave Story worked fine (no slowdowns) on my old Win98. :(
I think it worked fine on the smallest resolution setting, which is annoyingly small, but was excruciatingly slow on any other setting.

So, ShadowCrazy: try running DoConfig.exe and fiddling with the settings to see if you can fix the speed problem.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:43 AM
sounds like so much trouble to go through just to play mods...guess ill just wait until i have enough money for my dream custom gaming pc and then ill just join you all with windows only

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Vanished.
Thats... dumb.
since I can proove that CS runs fine under wine / crossover.
Better fix a problem than ignoring it.

did you try Darwine?

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:51 AM
Hoxtilicious
Celtic Minstrel said:
I think it worked fine on the smallest resolution setting, which is annoyingly small, but was excruciatingly slow on any other setting.

It worked fine in fullscreen.
But my old Win98 computer was quiet fast, 1,2 GHz, but only about 256 MB Ram.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:30 AM
Schokobecher said:
Thats... dumb.
since I can proove that CS runs fine under wine / crossover.
Better fix a problem than ignoring it.

did you try Darwine?

i have crossover..and im sure it would work...but the problem that im trying to tell people about is....I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING ON A MAC..so crossover idk where the directories are...idk where to install these mods...or anything else im just stuck and i just wished there was someone out there making mac mods..because i really would love some sequels and prequels to this game and stuff like that.

er
and another thing...even if this solves my problem somehow...it wont solve any mac users of mac who dont know how to operate those programs nor want to...i think we should just start helping each other out here...someone said it was possible but all they needed was offsets or something...well someone go get them or find someone with a mac who has them and teach them how to get them and such...if we all work together im sure we could end up having mac mods for the forums and then......maybe then....we could work on trying to make mods for the PSP system

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:11 AM
In front of a computer
S. P. Gardebiter said:
It worked fine in fullscreen.
But my old Win98 computer was quiet fast, 1,2 GHz, but only about 256 MB Ram.
I never tried it in fullscreen, actually. It might work fine that way.

shadowcrazy said:
i have crossover..and im sure it would work...but the problem that im trying to tell people about is....I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING ON A MAC..so crossover idk where the directories are...idk where to install these mods...or anything else im just stuck and i just wished there was someone out there making mac mods..because i really would love some sequels and prequels to this game and stuff like that.
Go to the Cave Story folder, right-click* on Doukutsu.exe, go to Open With, and select Crossover.

Something like that, anyway. And you can put Cave Story wherever you like.

*control-click if you have only one mouse button

Oh, and if anyone wants to delve into the Mac executable... I believe it uses a format called "Mach-O".

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM
Celtic Minstrel said:
Go to the Cave Story folder, right-click* on Doukutsu.exe, go to Open With, and select Crossover.

Something like that, anyway. And you can put Cave Story wherever you like.

*control-click if you have only one mouse button

Oh, and if anyone wants to delve into the Mac executable... I believe it uses a format called "Mach-O".

no offense but i guess you didn't read my post when i said i KNOW how to open it and install it...im saying IDK where the DIRECTORIES are...as in the folders where all the stuff is and where you would edit everything and add mods...i know how to open it...im not an idiot