Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare

May 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well then let's try to get the rest of the story. I don't know the point of a contest but we can finish it for him if he doesn't want to do it.

May 26, 2010 at 7:22 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
David Schwobe said:
Well then I will try to convince him, but I highly doubt I would be able to do it alone. First, tell me exactly how to get in touch with him, I'm new to this whole forum thing. Second, after I give him my word, everyone else should too. If he sees that more people appreciate his work then there is a better chance that he would come back to finish it. We all loved this mod right? Well we can't sit around and let it go unfinished.
http://shmitz.livejournal.com/

May 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
This'll never be finished that's for sure.

May 27, 2010 at 8:57 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Jun 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So, I just got the Booster v0.8... now what?

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:02 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
What route can you take through the teleporters now, that you couldn't when you didn't have the booster?

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
EVERYONE asks what to do in the teleporters, and EVERYONE skips this.

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:10 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Everyone asks because it's a stupid puzzle. You aren't even aware that there's a puzzle.
(This applies to the door puzzle in the Labyrinth too.)

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Shadow the Past said:
Everyone asks because it's a stupid puzzle. You aren't even aware that there's a puzzle.
(This applies to the door puzzle in the Labyrinth too.)

Oh man...The Labyrinth puzzle, good times. How the hell did I manage to find the way in that one haha.

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Is it necessary to...

trade the map system for the Remote Control? If it isn't, what does it do (without ruining too much of the storyline)?

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM
Pirate Member
i'm getting stuck hard at the door puzzle in the labyrinth. could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction? i dont need like an order, just what should i be looking for to know i'm going the right way?

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Since a lot of questions have been posted already, I'd like to point out that someone has done a full let's play of Jenka's Nightmare. It has everything you would need in any video walkthrough.

Let's Play Jenka's Nightmare Part 1

EDIT: Crap, where did brightroar go? His LP seems to be down...

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
carrotlord said:
Since a lot of questions have been posted already, I'd like to point out that someone has done a full let's play of Jenka's Nightmare. It has everything you would need in any video walkthrough.

That doesn't have a part 2. =( And I looked at some other videos and I can't find one with the solution for the labyrinth =/

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:45 AM
Banned
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
carrotlord said:

EDIT: Crap, where did brightroar go? His LP seems to be down...

Brightroar deleted his account or he got banned or something.

He has a new account but I forget what it was.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I'm gonna put all my questions and comments in one post.

Okay, so, I've been through Genesis, I beat the Alien Medal Fish clone boss. I have not gone up the Chimney yet, so there is that to explore.
I think I've done most everything else, except what I have questions about.

In the Sand Zone, is it possible to get the life capsule and treasure chest that look like they have no path to them? Also, can you get into the center area?

I currently have 44HP. Did I miss any life capsules pre-chimney?

Is it necessary to trade the map system for the remote control? What does the remote control do?

Where do you find all the spur parts? I haven't found any of them yet. Or is it something that hasn't been created yet?

Where is the Arms Barrier? The first post says it's available somewhere in the game.

Thanks for all the help! =D

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
h7u9i said:
So I'm gonna put all my questions and comments in one post.

[...]

Thanks for all the help! =D

Answers:
There is absolutely no way to get to the center area (that has a door) of the Sand Zone.

There is one life capsule in the sand zone that requires damaging yourself in order to get it. You have to bump into an enemy, run through -127 spikes, get the capsule, then hit some -10 spikes, rush through the same -127 spikes again, then leave. If you got that already, you're good.

44HP seems like a lot, but I don't remember the exact maximum.

It is not necessary to trade the map for the remote, though it might be helpful. The remote control allows you to open certain "panels" in the world of Jenka's Nightmare (hint: one of the panels is in the Grasstown power room). Opening panels will give you certain items. I don't remember if those items are useful or not, but they aren't necessary.

It is not possible to make the spur, since the mod is unfinished.

The Arms Barrier is somewhere in the watery zone of Genesis.

After going up the chimney, you will find a very large map. That map is the official end of Jenka's Nightmare. There are no ending credits or anything else, unfortunately.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
carrotlord said:
Answers:
There is absolutely no way to get to the center area (that has a door) of the Sand Zone.

There is one life capsule in the sand zone that requires damaging yourself in order to get it. You have to bump into an enemy, run through -127 spikes, get the capsule, then hit some -10 spikes, rush through the same -127 spikes again, then leave. If you got that already, you're good.

44HP seems like a lot, but I don't remember the exact maximum.

It is not necessary to trade the map for the remote, though it might be helpful. The remote control allows you to open certain "panels" in the world of Jenka's Nightmare (hint: one of the panels is in the Grasstown power room). Opening panels will give you certain items. I don't remember if those items are useful or not, but they aren't necessary.

It is not possible to make the spur, since the mod is unfinished.

The Arms Barrier is somewhere in the watery zone of Genesis.

After going up the chimney, you will find a very large map. That map is the official end of Jenka's Nightmare. There are no ending credits or anything else, unfortunately.

Thanks so much! I think I've done everything except

get the remote and panel items you said, and get the Arms Barrier, but I really don't feel like going through Genesis: Water again.

P.S. Max Health is 54 I think. Or at least that's how much I have.

so I think I've officially completed Jenka's Nightmare! =D

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:41 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Alright, I'm on the verge of a breakdown here..
I've been playing this over and over again, restarting everytime I notice something I've missed, because I want to get an as close to perfect save as possible.
I had just got back from the labyrinth and gotten the Air Tank, when I came to think of the missile upgrade in Grasstown. I had taken the chest on my first visit, hoping it would "carry over" to the Missile Launcher once I got it. It didn't.

So I figured, alright, I don't feel like restarting my entire game for 5 missiles, so I decided that once I was able to go back to grasstown, I would use Caveshark and add the 5 missiles I rightfully deserve.
Little did I know that if you edit your profile in any way, the game apparently resets, and refuses to acknowledge that you've done anything at all.

And so there I was, in the sand zone, with 30 missiles and 43 hearts, among other things. But all the heart containers I had once taken are back, and it seems the game has unflagged every single event.

I really do not feel like redoing hours on hours of work, so could anyone tell me if there's any way to fix this?
Is there some way to edit what flags should be checked, or something like that?
Because this is just too much for me. I love this mod, it's truly been a lot of fun, and I had hoped to keep playing, but if this isn't solvable, I don't think I have it in me to repeat everything yet another time..

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM
Been here way too long...
Shilag said:
Alright, I'm on the verge of a breakdown here..
I've been playing this over and over again, restarting everytime I notice something I've missed, because I want to get an as close to perfect save as possible.
I had just got back from the labyrinth and gotten the Air Tank, when I came to think of the missile upgrade in Grasstown. I had taken the chest on my first visit, hoping it would "carry over" to the Missile Launcher once I got it. It didn't.

So I figured, alright, I don't feel like restarting my entire game for 5 missiles, so I decided that once I was able to go back to grasstown, I would use Caveshark and add the 5 missiles I rightfully deserve.
Little did I know that if you edit your profile in any way, the game apparently resets, and refuses to acknowledge that you've done anything at all.

And so there I was, in the sand zone, with 30 missiles and 43 hearts, among other things. But all the heart containers I had once taken are back, and it seems the game has unflagged every single event.

I really do not feel like redoing hours on hours of work, so could anyone tell me if there's any way to fix this?
Is there some way to edit what flags should be checked, or something like that?
Because this is just too much for me. I love this mod, it's truly been a lot of fun, and I had hoped to keep playing, but if this isn't solvable, I don't think I have it in me to repeat everything yet another time..

I don't know how cave shark works, but from what you're saying, I think you're screwed. That missile upgrade in grasstown's supposed to be unobtainable without the booster, so getting it (and the glitched one) will mean that you can't get it back later, due to some bad scripting on shimitz's part.

As for the parts about the flags, unless someone else does more work to find out what flags do what in this mod (which would take MUCH SO EVER INSANELY MUCH more time than it would to play through the mod again)

All I could suggest is to next time, use save editor.

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Vercci said:
I don't know how cave shark works, but from what you're saying, I think you're screwed. That missile upgrade in grasstown's supposed to be unobtainable without the booster, so getting it (and the glitched one) will mean that you can't get it back later, due to some bad scripting on shimitz's part.

As for the parts about the flags, unless someone else does more work to find out what flags do what in this mod (which would take MUCH SO EVER INSANELY MUCH more time than it would to play through the mod again)

All I could suggest is to next time, use save editor.

Well, Caveshark is a save editor, more or less.. And I've used it in the original game without any problems like this. Sigh, though I guess there nothing to do but buckle up and do it all over..

I also have another question.
Hasumi's Lipstick, what purpose does it serve? I gave it to the Frog doctor in the Dead End in the Labyrinth, but he didn't give me anything in return. People here have been talking about both Hasumi's and Chaco's Lipstick, and I can't make heads or tails of it.
Also, that dead end room.. how the hell are you supposed to find it, originally?
I mean I just got lucky, wandering around the Looping corridors, but it's kinda ironic that the robot that gives you the clue on how to use the loops has to be found using the loops..

Edit: Also, what do you mean "the missile upgrade is supposed to be unobtainable without the booster"?
I was a piece of cake getting it without it, I mean it's high up, but with breakable blocks right underneath. You just have to keep one block three squares down and then jump up. I'd say there's a little bit TOO much freedom in this mod, I hate not knowing where to go because if I go somewhere or do something, something else might be lost forever...