Cave Story for Android/iOS (via PSX4droid/PSX4All) Theory

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
pashkoff said:
By the way. Just out of curiosity. If mods chage original game engine (using some hacking and meddling with binary), is it ok for Pixel and Nicalis? I suppose, there is no official way to extend and modify the game. And for me, it looks like modding is what Nicalis do with the PC game (leaving aside releases on wii and stuff - there they do real deal).
Mods do not modify the binary. They just use edited maps, art, and such. As I said, most mods to not appear to be compatible with NXEngine

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Don't pay too much attention to carrotlord, he just likes to cause trouble for no good reason

I don't see any problems with this project. Hats off to you guys for taking the initiative.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Here you say

"Game has been tested on jailbroken iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1.1) and non-jailbroken iPad 2 (iOS 5.1.1)."
I have a question.Yes, I know I have too many of those, especially recently
(I'm asking this because I just am naturally paranoid, and won't jailbreak my iPad.)
If it requires Cydia to install, and Cydia can only be installed on
jailbroken, than how do you install NXEngine on a non-jailbroken iPad?
Is there a link available to download the package from that doesn't need a jailbroken device?
Because if there is, I think I know what I'll be downloading next...
If not, I guess I'll just have to wait. :muscledoc: Thank you so much once again,
for bringing such a beautiful, perfect nightmare into my life. :heart:
(Edit:Woot I'm supposedly a regular member now, thanks to this post)

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
SirGuy said:
https://github.com/PIlin/NXEngine-iOS]Here[/url] you say

I have a question.Yes, I know I have too many of those, especially recently
(I'm asking this because I just am naturally paranoid, and won't jailbreak my iPad.)
Is there a link available to download the package from that doesn't need a jailbroken device?
If not, I guess I'll just have to wait. :muscledoc: Thank you so much once again,
Its only possible to install nonjailbroken devices if you pay apple 99$ per year and buy a dev account to sign apps with. And im not sure what pashkoff thinks but i doubt apple would approve cavestory/nxengine for the app store unless nicalis/pixel did the port themselves. On a side note, jailbreaking has absolutely no negative effects. From my experience, jailbreaking is definitely worth it and completely reversible if needed.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:05 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
SirGuy said:
https://github.com/PIlin/NXEngine-iOS]Here[/url] you say

I have a question.
I have development profile from my university, so I was able to run nxengine on university's iPad (you can see it on video). But I cannot use this profile for publishing in AppStore. So, nxengine works fine on non-jail broken device, there is no jailbreak-dependent code. But I don't think there will be nxengine release in AppStore in near future.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Just in case anyone has an android device with less than 640x480 resolution, I added auto-resolution detection to fix crashes on those devices. Same link: http://db.tt/KYl38Rs5
Delete /sdcard/data/nxengine/settings.dat to apply resolution.
Delete /sdcard/data/nxengine/sndcache.pcm if sound fx are missing.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Cave Story shouldn't be ported to android tablets, it should be ported to the android based OUYA.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Dunc2403 said:
Because porting to android totally isn't the first step to porting to OUYA Plus OUYA hasn't even been released yet so there's no point saying that now.
I said android *tablets*, also the OUYA devkits are coming with the sdk on the 28th, (though they cost 800 dollars and the normal OUYA will be a devkit =/ )

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Dunc2403 said:
Because porting to Android isn't porting to Android tablets at all, it's not like they have the same apps or anything
*facepalm* i KNOW porting to android is porting to android tablets, im just saying it would be better to port it with the OUYA CONTROL SET and not some weird "on screen controller"!

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh god this is hilarious
Hahahaha
"are you an idiot?"
Classic

Okay

1. The OUYA has not been released yet, it makes no sense to try to port to OUYA before perfecting the vanilla Android port
2. Pre-launch devkits are expensive man, that's for people trying to make money
3. IIRC the port is being done on an XPERIA Play, which has buttons, and the author of the port has already expressed their distaste of virtual controls
4. God you are hilarious, calling me an idiot
I'm sure you're years older than me and still are more immature

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Dunc2403 said:
Oh god this is hilarious Hahahaha "are you an idiot?" Classic Okay 1. The OUYA has not been released yet, it makes no sense to try to port to OUYA before perfecting the vanilla Android port 2. Pre-launch devkits are expensive man, that's for people trying to make money 3. IIRC the port is being done on an XPERIA Play, which has buttons, and the author of the port has already expressed their distaste of virtual controls 4. God you are hilarious, calling me an idiot I'm sure you're years older than me and still are more immature
Don't you dare call me immature, OR ILL TELL MAH MOMMEH *shot bricked and hanged*
And NOW i get what you are saying, and now i think you're right, it would be better to finish the android port before OUYA.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Dec 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm really stoked about this port not because I happen to have an Android phone, but I purchased one of those Android PC on a Stick devices. Since I've already set it up to be a retro gamer's dream console, emulating just about all the old consoles and a good portion of MAME by using Wiimotes + Classic Controllers, having NXEngine ported to the device would be the cherry topping to an already awesome sundae.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM
MkidTrigun said:
I'm really stoked about this port not because I happen to have an Android phone, but I purchased one of those Android PC on a Stick devices. Since I've already set it up to be a retro gamer's dream console, emulating just about all the old consoles and a good portion of MAME by using Wiimotes + Classic Controllers, having NXEngine ported to the device would be the cherry topping to an already awesome sundae.
You can already try it. Download the data ( http://db.tt/6nKdu9Za ) and put the nxengine folder in /mnt/sdcard/data so you have /mnt/sdcard/data/nxengine/<data files> (not /mnt/sdcard/data/nxengine/nxengine). Then Install the app ( http://db.tt/KYl38Rs5 ). I assume you are using BluezIME for the wiimotes so open BluezIME and remap at least one button to enter. Then open nxengine, press the giant start button, press the android back button, and finally press your "enter" button on the wiimote to access controls and remap them accordingly. Let me know how it runs.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:13 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Okay so I have the iOS angle on this.
IPad 1: works fairly well, has some slowdown in big places (I.E. egg corridor,Mimiga Village)...but that's to be expected. I haven't spotted any major bugs yet.
iPod (4th generation): Just about the same, though it handles big maps a bit better.
I will soon be trying it on iPhone 3G and iPad 2 (and maybe iPhone 5).
It would be lovely to see some wiimote support for the ios's but I don't want to ask for too much.
Also Dunc2403 you stressed your sarcasm too much.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
You can do too much of anything, that's why it's called TOO MUCH.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
xperia64 said:
You can already try it. Download the data ( http://db.tt/6nKdu9Za]http://db.tt/6nKdu9Za[/url] ) and put the nxengine folder in /mnt/sdcard/data so you have /mnt/sdcard/data/nxengine/ (not /mnt/sdcard/data/nxengine/nxengine). Then Install the app ( http://db.tt/KYl38Rs5]http://db.tt/KYl38Rs5[/url] ). I assume you are using BluezIME for the wiimotes so open BluezIME and remap at least one button to enter. Then open nxengine, press the giant start button, press the android back button, and finally press your "enter" button on the wiimote to access controls and remap them accordingly. Let me know how it runs.
Actually I'm using USB/BT Joystick Center, but it does the same exact thing. Following your instructions, I was able to successfully install NXEngine and change my controls around. I also removed sndcache.pcm and got the sound effects to work just fine. The game seems to be running pretty smoothly, but I did see it slow down a bit at Balrog's first entrance. I'm also getting some weird resolution where the game only takes up 1/9 of the screen in the center. I'll try to play through a bit more to see if anything else majorly slows it down, but Mr. Small will be next to impossible for me to find at the moment.

Update: I tried both deleting settings.dat and setting a button for F3 to try to change the resolution, but neither worked.

I guess I should at least throw up my specs for this device, since it's not a regular phone or tablet that has Android running on it.

The device itself is known as an iMito MX1, which runs Android 4.1.1. It's got an ARM Cortex A9 dual core processor capable of going up to 1.6GHz but due to the rooted ROM I installed on it, it can't go any higher than 1.2Ghz at the moment. 1GB of RAM, 8GB of internal memory, and for some reason the resolution it displays in is 1280x672. Let me know if you need to know anything else about the hardware.