Cave Story+ Beta Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2011 at 5:04 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
JonSpider said:
Does that mean we were lab rats the whole time? Or was the entire testing team in reality just us? :(

More like we aren't getting a copy of cave story+ for free, we are getting it as payment for the services.

"Essentially your god, sir."

The key phrase being "by coming here" so until Pixel shows up on our doorstep that role is open for the taking!

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:09 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
seren said:
More like we aren't getting a copy of cave story+ for free, we are getting it as payment for the services.

"Essentially your god, sir."

The key phrase being "by coming here" so until Pixel shows up on our doorstep that role is open for the taking!

Yeah, putting up with bugs, constant crashes, and the rest. I agree with you on saying it is payment for what you guys have done.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:53 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Even with constant errors I'm having fun testing it, so I don't really consider the free copy as payment but that's just me. :p

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:29 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Byakuran1195 said:
Even with constant errors I'm having fun testing it, so I don't really consider the free copy as payment but that's just me. :p

Thanks! Next week's version should clear up a ton of issues. It's really great to see those on my Steam friendlist playing CS+.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:54 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Cave Story+ Save Fixer

Okay guys. I've written a Java program that'll help fix corrupted save files! Hopefully this'll work for you.
Save files can be found here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+\Profile.dat

Just double click the .jar file, wait for the user-interface to show up, and read the instructions.

Now, there is an issue that I must clear up. There seem to be two kinds of corrupted saves. The first has to do with the 0x0D0A problem, which is not that hard to fix using a hex editor. The second one... I have no idea what's wrong, but it has nothing to do with the 0x0D0A problem. This program can ONLY fix the first kind of corrupted save, so I cannot guarantee 100% recovery for everybody.

EDIT: If someone could test this, that'd be great. I only tested it with an Arthur's House save, so problems may arise in other areas of the game. I am not sure.

I've played more of the game, so I've tested the save fixer in other places too. It will work for:

-Mimiga Village upper save
-Arthur's house save
-Side room egg corridor save
-Cthulu's abode (careful - do not resave here after fixing a save)
-Santa's House
-Chaco's House
-Possibly more...

Does not seem to work for:
-Save point in Grasstown closest to power room. I'll work on fixing this.
-Prefab house after final bosses

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It does not work with my save which is in the prefab house before hell on easy (and I did beat hell with this save).

I wish there was a fix since I wanted to try some of the extras.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:17 AM
Thanks Carrotlord. :momo:
Got the corrupted save while on Egg Corridor so it's probably going to work, but I'll edit it later to confirm if it did work.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:19 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Carrot, you are the mostest awesome. I don't even need this and im considering downloading it, as a tribute to your awesome.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:38 AM
inside is yello
"..."
It works! I'd recommend this to any other beta-testers as it should make it a lot easier.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:38 AM
I don't know why but the edit button ain't working here, so it will have to be a new post. :momo:

The save fixer worked great. :D
Thanks again Carrot, you're awesome.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:36 AM
It didn't work for me either, unfortunately. I'm saved in the First Cave right in the beginning of the game, so that's not really a big deal getting back to where I was (2 minutes of gameplay), but I don't know if that means anything with regards to what's causing the corruption or not.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM
Not anymore
I've done some experimentation...

There seem to be maps that are generally 'bad' to save in. For example, saving in map 26 (this is the small room in grasstown that holds a save point, the one closest to the power room) will screw up your save, and the game will refuse to load a savefile that contains map 26 even after using the Save Fixer on it.

Other maps are good places to save. Saving in Arthur's house, which is actually map 1, will still corrupt your save but this time it should be easily recoverable by the Save Fixer. Santa's House and Chaco's House are also good places to save. There are many other good maps, but I don't have a list.
For all of these maps, the Save Fixer can generally recover your file successfully.

Unfortunately, it looks like the prefab house (either before or after final bosses, or both), is a bad place to save.
First cave might also be a bad place to save, but that doesn't really matter since you can get to Mimiga village easily.

The way to get through Cave Story+ is to be picky about which maps you save in. After I defeated Balrog in the power room, I did NOT save in the closest save room because that would permanently ruin my save. Instead, I went back to Chaco's House and saved there. The save was still corrupted, but lo and behold, it was still fixable, unlike the one for map 26.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM
Been here way too long...
Carrotlord said:
The way to get through Cave Story+ is to NEVER STOP PLAYING

BUT I NEED FOOD :momo:

But seriously, I'm just leaving the game running until I finish it or it gets updated.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Can someone please post a prefab corrupted save? I'd like to take a look at it.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oct 24, 2011 at 6:24 PM
Not anymore
New version of Save Fixer!

Save Fixer version 1.1

Dunno if it'll work on prefab, but you should be able to recover more kinds of saves now. Try it out.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:00 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Captain Fabulous said:
But seriously, I'm just leaving the game running until I finish it or it gets updated.

What if CaveStory+.exe crashes? Then you can't do anything if the save corrupts.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Cave Story said:
What if CaveStory+.exe crashes? Then you can't do anything if the save corrupts.

This happened to me... twice...

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Are there any launch options for Cave Story+? If so, what are they?
Also, what are the sprites rendered in?

Edit:One more thing for Carrotlord.
Remember all of those empty spaces that you saw in the save file? Maybe those would be used as a save area for mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.