Best Tools for Modding

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey I've joined the forums not so long ago, didn't go online that much, Anyway's I would like to know some of the Best Tools for Modding on Cave Story, I've always been interested in modding, and it does look complicated, I'm hoping to bring out alot of Mods for Cave Story in the Future, I have already made a mini-mod with a defunct tool, It is Called Cave Story - Easy Mode, soon I will make a Hard mode and probably even Extreme, All I need to know now is how to add it to the Forums, Thank you - Balrog1337

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
BIG EDIT:

All I need to know now is how to add it to the Forums,
I only glanced at the post~ an idiot

------------------------------------------------------

Well, the best place to start is with This page it contains two editors that are good for modding cave story Boosters lab and Cave Editor

I presonally prefer boosters lab becasue It's easy to use and does everything automatically that you need to start modding.

I would also suggest that you watch this video

It should tell you most everything you need to know.

--------------

EDIT: you likely want these as well.

Save Editor v2.0 save editor

Odbg200.zip ASM editor (don't worry about this to much as it's not recommended for beginners to use)

CS Physics Editor v1.1 Edit's physics if you want to change how Quote moves and such.

Resource hacker Lets you change music and icons to the game and some other miscellaneous things I forget.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Fatih120 said:
-paint (for sprites)
No
No no no no no
Fatih120 said:
-Booster's Lab or Cave Editor ( I prefer CE)
BL has more things probably but it's in development and unstable. CE is still good though.
Fatih120 said:
-Ollydbg (If you are gonna go deep and do some hacking)
Don't. Not until you get much further into modding.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Start out with cave editor and an image editing software. I prefere Paint.Net

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Professional Whatever
MS Paint is awful. The colour picker is annoying. The tools are lacking. You can't change how far you zoom - you can only zoom in or out once. There are no layers. I think it also defaults to saving in JPEG.
MS Paint 7 has fixed a few of these problems but it's still terrible in general and you have no reason not to download a program that is infinitely better

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Offensive User
What the hell are you talking about? XP's paint can let you zoom from like 50% to 800%. I think you're talking about the large view and normal view that lets you zoom the picture 600% and 100%, respectively.

Also paint.net doesn't seem to be built for pixel arting unlike many other, better pixel art editors.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Bombchu Link said:
BIG EDIT:

Well, the best place to start is with This page it contains two editors that are good for modding cave story Boosters lab and Cave Editor

I presonally prefer boosters lab becasue It's easy to use and does everything automatically that you need to start modding.

--------------

Odbg200.zip ASM editor (don't worry about this to much as it's not recommended for beginners to use)

CS Physics Editor v1.1 Edit's physics if you want to change how Quote moves and such.

Resource hacker Lets you change music and icons to the game and some other miscellaneous things I forget.
Bombchu Link said:
BIG EDIT:

--------------

Bombchu Link said:
BIG EDIT:

--------------

Fatih120 said:
You need

-paint (for sprites)
-Booster's Lab or Cave Editor ( I prefer CE)
-OrgMaker 2 (for music)
-Ollydbg (If you are gonna go deep and do some hacking)
Alright then, Thanks

Fatih120 said:
-Paint (for sprites)
Actually isn't CE better for Creating Sprites? I mean I would probably use paint for only sketching out the sprite

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Balrog1337 said:
Actually isn't CE better for Creating Sprites? I mean I would probably use paint for only sketching out the sprite
god, no
what on earth would ever give you that idea
CE's image editing ... """thing""" is kind of awful and nobody should ever use it, ever.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Noxid said:
god, no
what on earth would ever give you that idea
CE's image editing ... """thing""" is kind of awful and nobody should ever use it, ever.
Makes Sense I can't find any way to change the sprite of Quote to My own Character, qq

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The thread title says "Best Tools for Modding".

That would be Paint.Net , regarding the artwork.

Sure, you could use MS Paint or Cave Editor, but suggesting these things is technically going off-topic because they are what the children use, not for those who want more than a passing glance on their mod(s).

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
EnlightenedOne said:
The thread title says "Best Tools for Modding".

That would be Paint.Net , regarding the artwork.

Sure, you could use MS Paint or Cave Editor, but suggesting these things is technically going off-topic because they are what the children use, not for those who want more than a passing glance on their mod(s).
You all have a Different way of Modding don't you :p

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I prefer Macromedia Fireworks MX 2004 tbh.
But I doubt anyone would be interested since it costs money.

Balrog1337 said:
You all have a Different way of Modding don't you :p
Just grab your editor of choice (Cave Editor or Booster's Lab), grab your pixel-safe image editing program of choice and go nuts. Throw orgmaker and reshacker into the mix if you ever want to have custom music in your mod. Everyone here has a different opinion on what is best to use and you should try to form one on your own.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:43 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I like graphics gale cause it puts in nice clean little 16x16 boxes. Also it is easier to swap colors.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Been here way too long...
Cave Editor is better as far as I know, because Booster's Lab corrupts the executable for me.
Paint is good enough for sprite editing, just remember to save it as a 24-bit bitmap. The colors won't become corrupted that way. On 800% zoom it does a good job. I use it a lot.

Also, may I ask why everyone is using such an informal tone in a public forum?