Best Tools for Modding

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Simpler
How can I reduce my language to a state lower than lower than that of layman's terms? I'm just confused, I didn't think my post was unclear in the slightest.

First impressions are very effective, but it's good that you apologized so sincerely, at least. I'm willing to forgive and forget.

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
IdioticBaka1824 said:
Mr.MagicDoors, would you mind using simpler language? I can't really understand you.
Are you talking to me? I'm not doors ugh thankfully

IdioticBaka1824 said:
would you mind using simpler language? I can't really understand you.
Alright I'll try:

Hiino said:
jpg compression in MSPaint is also beyond shitty and not parameterisable.
.jpg files are usually lighter (they take less memory) than, say, .bmp files because they are compressed. The problem is, .jpg isn't a "perfect" compression as it "destroys", it deteriorates the picture a bit. If the quality is high enough (and mostly for photos, since .jpg is made for photos anyway), you can't see the changes, but MSPaint's jpg compression completely wrecks the picture. Try to save anything in .jpg with MSPaint, it will be horrible. And you can't choose the quality of the compression, it's blocked at "you can't do worse that that".

Hiino said:
it does not handle transparency, let alone the alpha channel.
Transparency is... Well the fact that some pictures don't have a background, and you can see what's behind.
The alpha channel is the adding of one piece of information to a picture format (.png for example), that is used to describe what level of transparency each pixel of the picture has. Basically, it means you can work not only with colored pixels, invisible pixels, but also semi-transparent pixels, and you choose to which extent they are transparent (0 -> totally transparent, 255 -> completely opaque (visible), 220 -> you can barely see what's behind, 20 -> you can barely see the pixel). And MSPaint has no transparent pixels, and no alpha channel, meaning it gives every image a solid background.

Hiino said:
as said before, palette is not adaptive which is basically useless.
When you use, say, the .png format, that uses palettes, for a picture that has 10 different colors, and you ask your editor (Paint.NET for example) to automatically generate your palette (usually when saving), it will choose your 10 different colors, save them in the palette, and refer to them to draw your picture, which saves a lot of memory space. That's cool. But MSPaint doesn't like your 10 different colors. It has a predefinite limited palette and will refer to it and only to it, choosing in your place what colors your picture uses and changing every pixel of the picture by the closest(according to MSPaint, who is retarded and chooses poorly usually) in its palette. That's what fucks up the CS files when you try to edit and save them with MSPaint.

Hiino said:
little bad things

Hiino said:
little good things

Hiino said:
I have nothing against MSPaint when I want to make really simple things, I use it very often and I like it. But in most of the cases where you have to actually make something relevant (like editing Cave Story graphics) and not just doodles for fun, you are going to spend enough time working on it so that using a better (in absolutely every way) editor like Paint.NET (i'm not recommending GIMP because i hate its GUI) becomes more relevant than MSPaint's motto, that is simplicity.

Furthermore, since we are talking about editing Cave Story graphics, we can say that MSPaint isn't up to the task, and that is not a matter of personal taste. Don't use MSPaint for CS, it screws your palette up. Period.
I'll try to be simpler:
- MSPaint cool for very simple things
- CS graphics, not a simple thing
- So no MSPainty for the Cave Story
try Paint.NET it's very good, complete, free and still easy to use

IdioticBaka1824 said:
I was just trying to say that Paint is decent enough for beginners doing simple things
See last quote: it's perfectly fine for that, but editing CS graphics is already too complicated for MSPaint

IdioticBaka1824 said:
I'm sorry if I'm annoying. [...] I guess I was a bit short-tempered, and I shouldn't have been so rude. But as the Quran says at 3:159, to forgive and forget is the best kind of manners. I'm really sorry and I hope no one holds a grudge against me because of this. Could all of you pretty please (with sugar on top) forgive me?
It's okay I'm feelin forgivin today

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
MagicDoors said:
no one is giving you shit for anything
What exactly does this mean?

And know that all of you have forgive me, can we be friends?

(I think we are deviating from the main topic of this thread a bit.)

Mr.Balrog1337, would you mind showing some of your future mod ideas? Maybe an experienced modder can help you out with your first mod!

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It...means that no one is scolding you.

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Fatih120 said:
How do I adjust the threshold of the Paint Bucket for Paint.NET? It fills every shade of a color I want to fill, and I just wanna fill an exact color.
paintnet_zps10e61857.png

change it to 0%

Next time try asking in this thread.

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:12 AM
MagicDoors said:
It...means that no one is scolding you.
Oh, thanks. How was I to figure that out?

And... what happened to the creator of this thread? I guess Mr.Balrog1337 has already started on modding. Good luck!

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Huh, I wasn't actually aware of the tolerance thingy. I thought the paint bucket was the absolute worst part of Paint.NET. D:

Thank you! The thread's pretty enlightening on the subject of MSPaint, too. :3

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM
The Preacher
toldja about tolerance brah

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
I lol'd a bit too hard

And this is probably my 2nd and last question but can I make it so when resizing an area in Paint.NET it won't blur the applied area? It pisses me off because it forces me to use MS Paint.

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Dunc2403 said:
It's because we expect people who speak English as well as you to be fluent in not only standard dialect but slang and curses as well.
Um... I'm not fluent in slang and curses.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
The Preacher
That's what he said basically, but english-speaking people should know that foreigners usually learn proper english before slang, otherwise it would mean they had really awesome teachers in school

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I think we are deviating from the original topic in this thread...