Another Jenka's Nightmare remake

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
HaydenStudios said:
If you mean OCD as in OCD about perfecting something, then nonsense! Keep tweaking it until you can no longer see any flaws!Anyway, some of those spikes don't look like they're connected to anything. I wouldn't have them suspended in midair like that if I were you. They just look kinda awkward. A lot of those simply need to have their angle changed, and they'll be fine.
Actually, I think the spikes /do/ have their angle set, and they'll change back when the actual level loads. After all, all those SN blocks and that weird symbol next to the familiar cave door probably don't look like that in-game.

I'm probably wrong though :critter:

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Been here way too long...
Anyway, some of those spikes don't look like they're connected to anything.
Screenshot was taken out of booster's lab. So the entities look weird because the preview pictures are either singular, or not set correctly.

In the case of spikes, they ALL look like that, regardless of angle. Their angles are set correctly, however.

In any case, I think I'm done with the first cave now. Time to stare at mimiga village for 3 days!

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Zarro, baby.
I have some time atm, would you like some tiles for the first cave tileset? An extension to it if you will. If so let me know what you'd like, whether it's more background tiles or a few variances in existing ones let me know.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Mimiga Village (WIP):
p162976-0-34nps0x.png

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Darn, you're making what I did for JNR look insignificant. :3

Very nice. I like how you made the background rock and tiles blend together. Particularly that caving in we see on the far right of the map near the entrance to the graveyard, and that door at the bottom left corner of the map. Also nice job with the paths to the Egg corridor and that sparkle that seemed to have no significance.

Anyway, seeing the perfectionism you appear to have, perhaps you wouldn't mind a few nitpicks of some extremely minor details that in my opinion could use a tiny bit of touching up on:
p162977-0-gbqfosn.jpg
Seeing as how you just said it was a WIP, you might have gotten around to noticing them eventually, but whatever.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Zarro, baby.
I have some time atm, would you like some tiles for the first cave tileset? An extension to it if you will. If so let me know what you'd like, whether it's more background tiles or a few variances in existing ones let me know.
So no then?

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Based Member
From what little I've seen of him, ZarroTsu has shown to be pretty independent about this stuff. Also, he was probably able to make his own new tiles in a shorter amount of time than it would have taken him to specify how exactly he wanted the extra tiles to look, wait until you saw his post, have you make them, have you post them, and for him to see your post giving them to him, and use them.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Spoiler-Free faceset in progress:

diph.php

I'm presently working on making the whole 'sue shows up' scene/boss more fluid as well. As you can clearly tell, I'm working on things in a sort-of chronological order.

The pipework area is roughly the same, but the enemies are now drastically different. Stumpys are a little weaker, Modorins are now present, and egg corridor critters are hopping around instead of Mimigas.

Incidentally, does anyone know how to make exp-cheese ignore Tile44 by default? (I have to keep the Modorins from walking off the edge somehow) The npc.tbl doesn't seem to affect it.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
ZarroTsu said:
Spoiler-Free faceset in progress:
diph.php
Ooooohhhh, nice work on the faces! I especially like the way you kept them looking natural and true to Pixel's style, unlike a certain few pics I could think of >_>

And good work on ghostly Toroko and King. Though I thought you were keeping them dead? As in, not showing up? Oh well.

What's up with Booster? His lack of red glasses worries me :pignon2:

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Please for the love of all that is good, AVOID the following at all costs:
-Make Curly and quote Qold hands romantically
-Make Curly and Quote hugh
-Make Curly and Quote kiss
-Make Curly and Quote say "I love you"

They are robots made to look like male and female just for the sake of counterpart, to make it clear there are 2 robots and 2 robots only made in the same vessel; there is no place for a Larry

They were designed to stick togeter, not to force some romantic shipping

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM
So I'm putting together the storyboard for the game now, to give myself some bit of direction (The spoiler-within-spoiler is a bit of a legit don't-open-this spoiler):

There are 36 storyboard 'points' wherein things happen or can happen. (This does not include the counted secrets or optional areas, of which there are 14)

"Genesis:Spirit" is now known as "Sanctuary".
"Genesis:Earth" is now known as "Eroded Valve".
"Genesis:Water" is now known as "Aqueduct".
"Genesis:Light" is now known as "Speleothem"

There will be 3 endings.

Spontanious quote from elsewhere:
One thing that really annoys me is when people on these forums get condemned for saying a puzzle or secret in a mod here is too hard to solve or find, and be told that they're either stupid, or suck at video games. I saw a bunch of people getting chewed out for complaining the puppy puzzle in Jenka's Nightmare was too hard. Well you know what? It was too hard. I was stuck at it too until I looked through the thread, saw people saying they got stuck, and then got told how to do it followed by being chastised for not having respect for Shmitz for making such a clever puzzle. It was clever, very clever, but that doesn't mean the creator should ignore repetitious complaints that their puzzle or secret is too hard.
I WILL be rewriting the Cthulhu dialog to be a bit more hint-provoking in this case as opposed to, uh, "Gaudi eats Mimiga, Mimiga eats flower; if Flower is red Mimiga and Gaudi eat eachother" (Which is a backward-ass way of saying "Set Mimiga and Gaudi to eachother and then use Flower"), as well as make it more obvious where the dogs themselves are pointing. I mean come the frack on; we can clearly see one of the dogs talking toward the end of the original game when he gives you a Life Pot / Life Capsule, so it isn't entirely out of place for them to say "Arf! This teleporter is set to ____, arf!".

Something I've been doing is adding more than one dialog scrawl per NPC. What I mean is, if you talk to an NPC again after talking to them for the first time after an event, they will give a different piece of information than the first time. With this, I can keep the old " " Hint " " from the original JN, then have the same Cthulhu give a better explanation if you talk to him a second time.

This also helps flesh out the game a bit more of course. Makes things feel like they're actually happening instead of just things that speak at you.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
ZarroTsu said:
This also helps flesh out the game a bit more of course. Makes things feel like they're actually happening instead of just things that speak at you.
Yeah...in JN and JNR, there were a few points where the game seemed like a surreal drug trip(Quote getting a virus?)and made the mod seem a little...shallow. Like the Angel statue that sends you to Red Tower and the inexplicable Black Mage Kanpachi and the Light spell. Yes, robots can learn magic(as demonstrated by Persona and Mother), but I don't see Quote doing that. These things just scream "Fanfiction" and were low points in MagicDoors' otherwise fairly good contribution. Meanwhile, the puppy teleporter puzzle is just plain stupid, to me at least. I would request the puzzle be obliterated altogether, but that might be too much from the original game destroyed. Also the random forcefields in Sand Zone, as opposed to rock or sand blocking you. But that's just a nitpick :p
I do wonder what Speleothem has to do with Light, though. Doesn't it refer to caves? Whatevs, though. Thanks for trying to make it more "professional". ^_^

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Based Member
Polaris said:
Meanwhile, the puppy teleporter puzzle is just plain stupid, to me at least. I would request the puzzle be obliterated altogether, but that might be too much from the original game destroyed.
Peronally, I think that puzzle was clever. I think it should stay, it's just that it was a little bit too hard to figure out. Hopefully after ZarroTsu has done his work, it will be easier. I see no need to remove it altogether.
Polaris said:
Also the random forcefields in Sand Zone, as opposed to rock or sand blocking you. But that's just a nitpick :p
Those forcefields are blocking your way to Jenka's house.
Misery said:
I don't know all the details myself, but there are two great forces acting upon the island, created by my mother. One of them, Oblivion, destroys matter, and the other, Genesis, creates from what has been destroyed. They are destabilizing the island. If we could in some way extinguish them both, I think it would remove the barrier of force surrounding Jenka.
EDIT: 650th post! In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
Personally, I think that puzzle was clever. I think it should stay, it's just that it was a little bit too hard to figure out.
Yeah, I don't think they should be taken out either...they annoy me, but I guess if done well they could help the mod in general out.

HaydenStudios said:
Those forcefields are blocking your way to Jenka's house.
I know ¶_¶

I was thinking of Booster's log about the earthquake and Jenka's house becoming unreachable. I forgot about what Misery said ^_^;

Still, the forcefield seems a little out of place to me.

HaydenStudios said:
EDIT: 650th post! In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!
Congratulations :D

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Like the Angel statue that sends you to Red Tower and the inexplicable Black Mage Kanpachi and the Light spell.
And lo, you realize why I hated MD's version so much. While I admit "Avatars of creation and destruction" are pretty cliche-anime-fanfiction, you're REALLY jumping the shark when you throw in unexplained magic from highly improbable sources. So don't expect any of that.

Hell, I go so far as to explain even the avatars-of-creation-and-destruction, and why Jenka of all people would make them. The answer will surprise you, but you have to get to her house first!

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
ZarroTsu said:
The answer will surprise you, but you have to get to her house first!
Can't wait ;)

Sounds like you've got the story planned out. Now you just have to stare at areas for a while >_>;

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Feb 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Professional Whatever
My first thought is that those slope pseudo-backgrounds look unnatural in a diagonal position like that.
That's just my opinion though, I don't know what anyone else thinks about them.

E: Oh yes, I love the actual slope part though.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Based Member
Very nice with those sloped tiles, they remind of of CS Redesign. I'll assume that the blackness we see there is just because you've only done versions of that tile with the foreground showing, and haven't yet made versions with different backgrounds. Also it's hard to tell by just that little bit of dialogue there, but is it just me, or are you solving the fact that in the original JN and JNR, Sue somehow knew Curly before the events that transpired in the mod?

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM
HaydenStudios said:
is it just me, or are you solving the fact that in the original JN and JNR, Sue somehow knew Curly before the events that transpired in the mod?
Yes.

The stairs are a blank background because of foreground-slope-only shenanigans. As a result, the blackness is sort of required to be the background, however I'll work on some in-house background in a bit to make it less obvious.

Here, how about this:

diph.php