AGTP+ modpack for CaveStory+ & classic CaveStory (v1.02) [2022/07/24]

May 22, 2022 at 7:09 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Want to introduce new people to Cave Story but feel the Cave Story+ translation isn't great? Do you like the original Japanese release of Cave Story but your friends don't speak it? Or maybe you just want to go back and experience the game anew in a nice and freshly polished presentation? Well, you're in the right place.

What this is

- An overhauled port of the AGTP translation to Cave Story+, striving to stay true to the Japanese text while maintaining charm and character. Aside from fixing many issues with the original translation, it also includes a more satisfying rewrite of Curly Story with additional content.​
- As an optional module, play through Cave Story+ with a new and improved version of HaydenStudios' excellent 4 Endings mod, edited to better fit the new translation and keep continuity as well as to include a new path for Curly Story. Guaranteed(*) to bamboozle your friends and just a fun time all around.​
- Another optional module, "classic+ mode", replaces the Cave Story+ "New" graphics with slightly overhauled original graphics, allowing you to play challenges and other modes with classic graphics. It also fixes original graphics to work with Cave Story+ typesetting and take advantage of unlimited colour depth where appropriate (primarily inventory graphics and portraits). Note: For best results, disable seasonal graphics.​
- A stripped down version of the updated translation and graphics patch is available for classic Cave Story if you prefer. The classic release also includes a Windows bitmap font to allow for crisp rendering regardless of resolution.​

Changelog

(2022/07/24) - Cave Story+ mod bundle
· added support for unicode incompatible Windows locales (AGTP+ v1.02, AGTP+4E v1.02, classic+ v1.02, classic+4E v1.02, sw_apo v1.02)
(2022/06/25)
· added support for 2011 Steam version, Linux installers and 32-bit architectures (AGTP+ v1.01, AGTP+4E v1.01, classic+ v1.01, classic+4E v1.01, sw_apo v1.01)
(2022/05/22)
· initial release (AGTP+ v1.0, AGTP+4E v1.0, classic+ v1.0, classic+4E v1.0, sw_apo v1.0)

(2022/07/24) - Cave Story classic mod bundle
· added support for unicode incompatible Windows locales (doukutsu-en2 v1.02, doukutsu-ui+ v1.02)
(2022/06/25)
· added support for 32-bit architectures and Linux installers (doukutsu-en2 v1.01, doukutsu-ui+ v1.01)
(2022/05/22)
· initial release (doukutsu-en2 v1.0, doukutsu-ui+ v1.0)

Game compatibility

NOTE: For obvious reasons, mods available here are distributed strictly as differential patches. This means installation will only work if you have the exact version of the game files they are intended to be used with. For Cave Story+ this is the currently available version on gog.com (v1.0.1.0) as well as the 2011 Steam version. For the original Cave Story it is v1.0.0.6 with the AGTP patch applied (prepatched install is fine).

Yes, but what does this mean for...

Any other version of CS+ not listed as compatible is untested. Installing may work if the game resources in question are exactly the same, or it may lead to broken or partial installs or otherwise unexpected results. If you know what you're doing, you can manually check against the included list of md5 hashes of files that I build patches for (md5list.txt).​

How to install the modpack
The AGTP+ collection is packaged via unipatch, a universal binary patching script. Plus Porter or other existing Cave Story-specific tools didn't support the new versions of Cave Story+ this modpack is developed for (using .png graphics, etc.) or any of the more advanced edits being done, such as changing the game font. As such it was easier to use an existing tool I had made which can handle all of that, even if it's less tailored to the game. Since it's all script files, you can easily check what it does if you're worried. No blind installers here. :)
- Download the appropriate modpack for Cave Story+ or classic Cave Story and extract the files to your game's base directory, so the unip folders and batch files are alongside your game executable.​
- Make sure your game version is compatible (see above) and this is not a protected folder.​
- You can then simply run the main install script (install-CS/+.bat, or install-CS/+.sh in Linux environments) which will run you through the choices and handle the install for you. After the completion of each step the script will prompt you to continue, allowing you to see whether the mod choice installed correctly.​
Seeing a number of missing file warnings is normal, as the installer includes patching information for both .bmp and .png assets when typically only one version is present. If you see any errors however, your game version likely isn't compatible and the resulting install may not work as intended.
(You can also use unipatch directly if you want, as per the usage outlined in the included unipatch.readme.txt. This will also allow you to build your own unipatch based mods.)​

Where can I get my hands on AGTP+

Download links, all of this information and more are available over at the AGTP+ mini site. Make sure to check the FAQ if you have any questions (such as pertaining to the translation, more specific installation help, etc.).​

Great, how can I help?
Support for the 2011 Steam version is still new, so let me know if you spot any issues specific to installs with it (particularly if you use the classic+ graphics component).​
Secondly, let's try and keep this thread clean from any back and forth, as this makes it easier to deal with bugs and other issues that may come up and not risk them getting lost in discussion. If you have any strong feelings about any of the translation decisions taken, need help in a specific way or have other questions not directly relevant to most people that aren't answered in the FAQ, feel free to send me a conversation.​
While both the CS+ and the classic versions have been playtested, it's inevitable that some issues slipped through, especially given how different versions of Cave Story handle typesetting. One thing to look out for in the classic version in particular is empty lines inserted in the middle of dialogue. Please let me know anything out of the ordinary you spot here.​

A selection of screenshots

p377621-0-za6h5vs.png

p377621-1-7au2kd8.png

p377621-2-jdymam9.png

p377621-3-chcrjwl.png

p377621-4-mrnph62.png

p377621-5-fqdozfo.png

(see the site for more)

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 9:57 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Woah, this looks awesome!
I'm attempting to install the patch to freeware, I'm assuming the batch and the contents of the doukutsu-en2-unip folder are supposed to be extracted to the root of the Cave Story folder? I ran install-CS and it didn't seem to update any of the base files as it instantly closed the moment I pressed a key (I'm not used to patching for mods tbh, cs freeware mods typically come with the base game + the changes in the zip with no patching required lol)

May 23, 2022 at 12:38 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Woah, this looks awesome!
I'm attempting to install the patch to freeware, I'm assuming the batch and the contents of the doukutsu-en2-unip folder are supposed to be extracted to the root of the Cave Story folder? I ran install-CS and it didn't seem to update any of the base files as it instantly closed the moment I pressed a key (I'm not used to patching for mods tbh, cs freeware mods typically come with the base game + the changes in the zip with no patching required lol)

You need to maintain folder structure when extracting to the base game directory. It should look like this.

The main install script (install-CS) should give you a number of install choices to go through.

May 23, 2022 at 5:11 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
You need to maintain folder structure when extracting to the base game directory. It should look like this.

The main install script (install-CS) should give you a number of install choices to go through.
ahh, I was supposed to extract everything, it didn't work because I assumed I was only meant to extract the folder I was planning on using + the bat, but it's installed now! would appreciate its DoConfig not defaulting to Full 32-bit
I'm not far, but the subtle text differences are interesting, this being essentially AGTP but slightly more faithful to the Japanese version, I wonder if this'll settle the Grasstown VS Bushlands debate with the original text actually meaning something like "Thicket" according to the tweet of one of the Aeon Genesis translators, hah (unless you didn't touch the location names)

1653279330045.png
Didn't think I'd see a vanilla Cave Story translation with "damn" in it considering how clean the two popular English translations are lol

...and with that, I had to check if the Jail mimiga says shit
1653280561693.png
and THEY DO 10/10 MOD

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 7:55 AM
"Huzzah!"
oh woah, this is a cool project!

as someone endlessly fascinated by translation differences, would you be willing to divulge at least any big/interesting things you've noticed regarding the various translations (or just yours) compared to the original JP script?

May 23, 2022 at 1:19 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
would appreciate its DoConfig not defaulting to Full 32-bit

It should default to 640x480, since that's what you need if you want to use the bitmap font. I use the prepatched AGTP version on cavestory.org as a base for building the installer, since I figure that is what most people will have. If you've previously changed your config though, results might differ.

oh woah, this is a cool project!

as someone endlessly fascinated by translation differences, would you be willing to divulge at least any big/interesting things you've noticed regarding the various translations (or just yours) compared to the original JP script?

There's some info in the FAQ about my general philosophy approaching the text and some of the more controversial choices/things people have asked about. The AGTP translation is pretty good throughout so it's largely the same, just fixed up a little here and there and making text flow better with Cave Story+'s variable width font (hence the name of the project). I will say that I came into this with a fresh mind rather than being attached to either of the available translations, having played mostly the original release way back when. Most of the people testing for me/providing feedback were entirely new to Cave Story.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 8:29 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
1653334159459.png
minor TSC error here

May 23, 2022 at 9:01 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
minor TSC error here

Not a TSC error, just classic CS running out of space so wrapping the cursor to newline. Since it's a manually advanced line, previous text isn't scrolling past unread.

May 23, 2022 at 9:14 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Not a TSC error, just classic CS running out of space so wrapping the cursor to newline. Since it's a manually advanced line, previous text isn't scrolling past unread.
Should still probably be fixed because it shouldn't do that

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:10 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
OP updated with the release of version 1.01 of the modpack.

This update adds more convenient install scripts for Linux environments, and more importantly, tentative support for the 2011 Steam release of Cave Story+.

Jul 24, 2022 at 10:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Apparently the patcher fails to work when you are using a Japanese locale.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Apparently the patcher fails to work when you are using a Japanese locale.

Windows version, I assume? If so, that makes a lot of sense.

I've uploaded a new version that should hopefully circumvent the issues on Windows locales that aren't unicode compatible (tested on Win10 with Japanese locale set). Thanks for pointing out the issue!

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:26 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Does the 4 Endings mod for Cave Story+ need to be installed beforehand for this to work? The game keeps crashing when I enter the warehouse when trying to get the 4th ending.

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:02 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Does the 4 Endings mod for Cave Story+ need to be installed beforehand for this to work? The game keeps crashing when I enter the warehouse when trying to get the 4th ending.
I don't believe AGTP+ was designed with 4th ending mod in mind, i figure no matter either order it's installed in due to script file overwrite overlap something will likely break

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:01 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I don't believe AGTP+ was designed with 4th ending mod in mind, i figure no matter either order it's installed in due to script file overwrite overlap something will likely break
It's mentioned in the 3rd paragraph of the original post that 4th ending is included as an optional module.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:31 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It's mentioned in the 3rd paragraph of the original post that 4th ending is included as an optional module.
Damn, I re-skimmed the OP and website and must have missed it; not sure what's happening here then...

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:43 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

No, the option in the installer is a complete and updated version of HaydenStudios' mod with significant changes (included with permission). As long as you have one of the supported base game versions all you need is the AGTP+ installer.

If that's what you did and you're still getting crashes, could you confirm which platform and version of the game you're running?

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
No, the option in the installer is a complete and updated version of HaydenStudios' mod with significant changes (included with permission). As long as you have one of the supported base game versions all you need is the AGTP+ installer.

If that's what you did and you're still getting crashes, could you confirm which platform and version of the game you're running?
I'm installing this on a fresh install of the Steam version, and every time I try installing it says this; the Gard2/_2 files also don't install which causes the game to crash at the storehouse if the files aren't there (manually adding the files from the original mod fixes it but then I'm not getting the re-translated version of that scene.) The mod still downloads most of the files despite saying there's multiple errors and I don't know if this is supposed to happen. (I've also included the settings I chose with the installer) I should also add that this is being done on Windows running the .bat file.

Attachments

• settins.PNG
    settins.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 4
  • this many.PNG
    this many.PNG
    48.5 KB · Views: 3
  • no such file.PNG
    no such file.PNG
    46.3 KB · Views: 3
  • error.PNG
    error.PNG
    44.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1st prompt.PNG
    1st prompt.PNG
    34.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:49 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm installing this on a fresh install of the Steam version, and every time I try installing it says this; the Gard2/_2 files also don't install which causes the game to crash at the storehouse if the files aren't there (manually adding the files from the original mod fixes it but then I'm not getting the re-translated version of that scene.) The mod still downloads most of the files despite saying there's multiple errors and I don't know if this is supposed to happen. (I've also included the settings I chose with the installer) I should also add that this is being done on Windows running the .bat file.

Yes, this does not look like it's installing properly. There's a lot of missing file warnings, including files that are part of the installer. Are you running the batch file from the correct path? You need to have the installer and its folders in the root directory of the game (next to the executable) and run it from there.

Some of the logs suggest the installer itself is breaking on your system. Can you give me more details about your Windows install? Specifically which version of the OS and which system locale you're using?

If you open a command prompt and type
Code:
for %f in (find.exe) do @echo %~dpfnx$PATH:f
what result do you get?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yes, this does not look like it's installing properly. There's a lot of missing file warnings, including files that are part of the installer. Are you running the batch file from the correct path? You need to have the installer and its folders in the root directory of the game (next to the executable) and run it from there.

Some of the logs suggest the installer itself is breaking on your system. Can you give me more details about your Windows install? Specifically which version of the OS and which system locale you're using?

If you open a command prompt and type
Code:
for %f in (find.exe) do @echo %~dpfnx$PATH:f
what result do you get?
I put the files in the same directory as the game (steamapps/common/Cave Story+), and my computer seems to be a 64 bit OS and my system locale is set to English(United States). Also when I copy and paste the line in the command prompt it just says c:\devkitPro\mys2\usr\bin\find.exe

Attachments

• about.PNG
    about.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
  • dev.PNG
    dev.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 4
  • system.PNG
    system.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 4