Nicalis surprise released a new Cave Story game*

Dec 12, 2021 at 3:26 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I love the use of Eyes of Flame as the main melody, that was my favorite in the og soundtrack

Dec 12, 2021 at 3:39 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I love the use of Eyes of Flame as the main melody, that was my favorite in the og soundtrack
I personally liked the main menu mashup of Carol of the Bells and Cave Story's main theme the best, but yeah, the Eyes of Flame remix in the houses you go through was also pretty good. It worked well for that slow-paced but mission-oriented mood of each of the levels.

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:53 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I find it silly when I see people white knighting over nicalis. I don't love them, but people act like they totally screwed over Pixel, when in reality Pixel helped make this game.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:46 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This video shows you can
obtain the Map System by going back into the fireplace in the Shack and turning left.There's also a comment in the video saying that it can be used in the map menu, but I haven't confirmed it yet.

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:03 AM
"Huzzah!"
There's also a comment in the video saying that it can be used in the map menu, but I haven't confirmed it yet.

press ESC when on the map menu, it'll bring up a map system image from the original game corresponding to the area you're currently in

Dec 16, 2021 at 7:41 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I thought it was pretty good. I think the best thing about the game is that fact that its the fact that this is the first completely new Cave Story game in 17 (ten years if you count Cave Story 3D)!
Call me easy to please all you want but that was enough for me lol.
Gameplay was really simple; It reminded me of a stripped down MSX Metal Gear game.
Music was really good. Stand out track had to be the Title Theme. The mix between Carol of the Bells and the original Cave Story theme was great. The two melodies work very well with each other.
So yeah its simple and short but I don't see why that's a bad thing. After all It Is free.
I made a video talking about the negative Steam reviews.
I liked the video, I agree that the game is prefect solely due to the addition of Rudolph Balrog lol.
Honestly the getting unfairly review bombed Is really disappointing. Yeah It's a easy little game that was made as a little treat for Cave Story fans. Yes, I'm assuming this game was made with the intention of appealing to fans and not the average consoomer. I never had any issue with the controls and I played the game after achievements were fixed. Those are the only two objective issues I saw with the steam reviews, everything else was likely intentional and works fine. Hopefully the steam reviews won't put off Nicalis (or Pixel if he even wants to work on a Cave Story sequel) from making a "proper" Cave Story game.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:50 AM
Based Member
Hopefully the steam reviews won't put off Nicalis (or Pixel if he even wants to work on a Cave Story sequel) from making a "proper" Cave Story game.
Personally, I don't really want a follow-up Cave Story game to be made. I think that Cave Story stands just fine on its own, and I'm glad that we haven't had any huge spinoffs or sequels, other than fun little things like this. One thing that could be interesting is a prequel, but even that, I wouldn't encourage Pixel/NICALiS to do.

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:00 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Personally, I don't really want a follow-up Cave Story game to be made. I think that Cave Story stands just fine on its own, and I'm glad that we haven't had any huge spinoffs or sequels, other than fun little things like this. One thing that could be interesting is a prequel, but even that, I wouldn't encourage Pixel/NICALiS to do.
I can understand that.
Cave Story doesn't need to be this big thing with all these follow up games just because It was popular at one point. I mostly agree despite my prior statement, although I'm not completely opposed to spin-off. Besides this place has a lot of mods for the game so It's not as though their is nothing new coming out for this game.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:27 PM
Based Member
Forgot to post this earlier, but this game has also been available from Good Old Games for some time:
https://www.gog.com/game/cave_storys_secret_santa

This is a good way to get an offline installer that you will own forever, even when this game has gone offline, which it seems NICALiS has warned about. Just downloaded my offline copy.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:32 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Minor Update: The game has been available on the Nintendo Switch eShop for awhile now, but exclusive to Japan (or maybe multiple east regions where Pikii is registered?). It costs 100 yen and requires a free and relatively easy-to-make JP Nintendo Account since the switch is region-free.

These two links are basically what I followed to buy it:
https://www.nintendolife.com/guides...ican-european-and-australian-nintendo-account

https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/where-to-buy-japanese-nintendo-switch-eshop-credit

I have noticed no differences between this and the PC version (after 100%ing both of them) and you can switch the language to English by navigating to the settings.

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:01 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Was it worth it?
Nah, probably not.

Does it look nice next to CS and Kero Blaster?
Hell yeah it does.
2021122603343300-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg