What was the Story of Cave Story Beta

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:26 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I saw the Gameplay at the game conv with the traduction
and I asked''What was the story of Cave story Beta''
I thinks the story is that the mimiga,farmer of flowers.
Are being kidnapped and givin to eat at Poo Restaurant
The robot named Curly Brace would have been originaly created by a old scientific
to destroy poo.
Then he met su- a mimiga girl(or maybe boy)who ask curly to help her.
That what I think.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:41 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Poo Restaurant

My favorite restaurant.

Anyhow, good theory. I always assumed that there wasn't really a story in the beta and it was just Quote running around collecting weapons and points and such.

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:38 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It's left too ambiguous for us to paint a good picture:
The theory I have is that Curly Brace (Quote), like in CS, has no memory, helps this Suu Girl who I always thought had traits of both Toroko and Sue based the of personality of the pictures and her reactions to things. Oh yeah, and just generally beats up soap boxes; we also know that there was a crazy assortment of weaponry, my favorite weapon is the spin-blade one:
p363175-0-9fuzhgh.png

I find the beta so intriguing and I would love to have played this. The variety of weapons, the ammo you're stuck with, I find those concepts so interesting. If I'm correct there was a scientist and Misery who reminds more of Marceline from Adventure Time.
sc020408.png

And then there's this image too which is always cool.

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:11 PM
The theory I have is that Curly Brace (Quote), like in CS, has no memory, helps this Suu Girl who I always thought had traits of both Toroko and Sue based the of personality of the pictures and her reactions to things. Oh yeah, and just generally beats up soap boxes; we also know that there was a crazy assortment of weaponry, my favorite weapon is the spin-blade one:
p363175-0-9fuzhgh.png

I find the beta so intriguing and I would love to have played this. The variety of weapons, the ammo you're stuck with, I find those concepts so interesting. If I'm correct there was a scientist and Misery who reminds more of Marceline from Adventure Time.
sc020408.png

Me too I always though that the end could have been Curly finding the hideout of the old man and misery(probably the girl of the old man)
and with su- decide to send curly with a good lot of weapons and stuff to fight Poo.
Oh by the way,too bad that petition didn't do anything,maybe we could have played it if the game wasen't buggy as hell by the words of pixel
(he didn't really said buggy as hell but oh well)

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:32 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
p363175-0-9fuzhgh.png

sc020408.png

Aren't Misery and several scientists already in the game?

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:07 AM
Stoned Member
One of the general plots was the mimiga trying to find the surface, where they would eventually reach the white wall (The balcony) to defeat puu once and for all.
Presumably, they'd also escape the island and live a normal life afterwards.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:01 PM
One of the general plots was the mimiga trying to find the surface, where they would eventually reach the white wall (The balcony) to defeat puu once and for all.
Presumably, they'd also escape the island and live a normal life afterwards.
Puu? ...As in puu black? THAT originally was the main antagonist? Lmfao.

"Fear me, the bubbly black bootleg balrog!"

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:56 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jun 13, 2018 at 12:09 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
See, the Cave Story beta was not named Cave Story.

See, Pixel wanted to be literal, so the name of the beta was Cave Story Beta Story.

....Nnnnnot really.

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:49 AM
Balrog's name was originally Puu. Even though Puu Black was also in the beta.
Lmao, so puu blacks name once literally meant "black balrog"

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:56 AM
War criminal
Lmao, so puu blacks name once literally meant "black balrog"
I'm... pretty sure that's not what it translates to.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:05 AM
Maybe not literally, but if "puu"=balrog, puu black=balrog black.

I don't know.

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Puu was a type of enemy in the beta designed after soap. Balrog was a boss Puu in the beta (I think he was the final boss) and his name meant "king of the bars". So Balrog is a Puu. Puu Black is a Puu. "Puu" does not mean "Balrog".

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 6:22 PM
Well, obviously.
Apparently the beta had most of the enemies be soap bars [ if i remember accordingly ] so that name makes sense.

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:56 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
The enemies remind me of the characters that would eventually appear in Soaprun.
Considering that this was just a beta, I wonder if this design was chosen because it was relatively easy to draw (a rectangle with dot eyes.)
Soaprunner.PNG
I apologize for posting this comment in a dead thread, but it didn't seem like anywhere else was appropriate.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
The enemies remind me of the characters that would eventually appear in Soaprun.
Considering that this was just a beta, I wonder if this design was chosen because it was relatively easy to draw (a rectangle with dot eyes.)
View attachment 5165
I apologize for posting this comment in a dead thread, but it didn't seem like anywhere else was appropriate.
Very interesting indeed

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:14 PM
Stoned Member
What we do know is that the main goal of this game was to escape the underground, we don't exactly know why but it is speculated that earthquakes and cave-ins are the reason.
Puu was the major villain in the story, he apparently eats mimiga, I have a feeling that he comes from the surface.
One of the oldest tilesets is the outer wall tileset, so that area likely did exist in the later stages of what we know as cave story beta, so I'd assume that section would be similar to the final, and the balcony as well. Cave Story was supposed to be on a floating island the entire time.
bkFog and bkMoon are files we know for a fact existed in the beta. We've seen the final boss before, which has two phases, first a Puu fight that combines all of the attacks he has, then a second giant Puu.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:34 PM
The enemies of the old game are mostly(?) soap bars

balrog story confirmed