New profile posts

the term strongbad_email.exe, while being used canonically as both the program that strong bad uses to check his emails, and as the name of the sbemail dvds, makes me think of a strong bad email creepypasta where like, strong bad just actually fucking kills strong sad instead of merely threatening to do so
D
DrippingYellow
No need, Strong Sad already willed himself to death back in 20 aught 8
kurosurintomasu
kurosurintomasu
ah. of course. thats the real creepy pasta right there. dealing with the grief of the loss of a loved one due to suicide.
or rather, strong bad's lack thereof.
What's the photo in your banner from?
X-Calibar
X-Calibar
Thanks Mint, I approve of that wall xD.

I've been patiently holding out for a big discount, (maybe one of the symptoms of collecting too much) ...but it is right up my alley. I'm always looking for games that try something unique.
(I can't help imagine it would make for a wild animated movie from my impression...)

I'll shout out "catch!" when I finally play it :muscledoc:
That new game is looking good too btw... hope it comes to PC...!

And Jade, I really do hope you enjoy it! Oh and if you want me to at some point, I could try to look up modern amenities like soundfonts and potential launchers/upscalers for RPGmaker. Sometimes old games can be a headache to run on newer systems.
Jade
Jade
Thanks for letting me know, I run Windows 11 64 bit on an AMD GPU and CPU.
X-Calibar
X-Calibar
I'm running Win10 64bit on a Nvidia/Intel so can't give assurances with my testing D:

Here's what I found so far: (This ended up being longer than anticipated lol)

I'd say try running the game vanilla using its RPG_RT.exe and see if that works well. I'd also suggest unless you want the game to change desktop resolution to fullscreen automatically each time, make a shortcut, and under target: add this to it \RPG_RT.exe" "_" "_" "Window"
(The "_" "_" are just ignored parameters.)

However... if you do run into some kind of issue playing it, you can try using EasyRPG - https://easyrpg.org/
Drop its Player.exe into its directory and run it on virtually any device, PC, mobile, even a browser? Though in my short testing, I noticed a couple minor graphical differences in its emulation. (Less fog effect, different text font, etc. Uncertain without playing through the game if any major issues would show up.) I seemed to be able to switch back and forth between EasyRPG and RPG_RT with the save file, so it's probably fine to switch between them if you run into issues?)

(Actually during testing things, at one point I ran into some strange input problems with the vanilla RPG_RT.exe. I'm not certain I figured it out what caused it, though the last thing random thing I did was remove an Amazon Show Device from the network... Alexa are you hacking me...?) I did find that this weird solution helped in most cases momentarily: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...ames-not-responding-to-keyboard-input.160887/
Probably should have just rebooted, but I wanted to find out what suddenly was causing it.

As for improving MIDI, I went down a little rabbit hole looking at what I could do.

First off, the simplest PC solution in most cases seems to be using Coolsoft's VirtualMIDISynth: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth
"VirtualMIDISynth is a software MIDI synthesizer implemented as a Windows multimedia user driver, accessible as a standard MIDI Out device."
This allows you to load soundfonts to replace the default Microsoft synths. I made a video once upon a time:
It should work with Win11. Pretty sure just installing virtualMIDIsynth will make any basic apps that call MIDI generally open it up. There *was* a default MIDI Mapper section that was grayed out, at least before I installed another optional program I'll mention in a minute.

Finally, you'll just need soundfonts to pair with it.
This one seemed average: (28 MBs)
Place that on top of the loaded soundfont chain, active (click the octagon to green if it isn't active.)
And I might suggest putting this one below it
Musyng, which might need a soundfont program to extract the sfpack file D: (1.6 GBs)
(It will look to the bottom soundfont last):

Alternatively, you can just download any soundfont you want and create your own flavor, or enjoy Microsoft's default :chin:

...Or instead of soundfonts, if you're a musician who has worked with VST instruments in a DAW (or want to try things); I found a program called VST MIDI Driver.
This alternative will allow you to load up VSTi's to play MIDIs in apps like RPGmaker as well; soundfonts are easier to work with, though less powerful. :muscledoc:

If you download that you'll probably need this:
This allows you to choose the default MIDI device for apps that don't specify, like RPGmaker; otherwise it'll just be microsoft or something.

If you wanted a VSTi well... One old one I liked was Edirol HQ Orchestral. Maybe it's free now? I searched Edirol Orchestral, and unless I'm being trolled, it says discontinued and free? Supposedly you can get that too. If you're curious, I'll download it from a link to make sure it's safe.

And just for fun, all that lead me to download loopMIDI, which can create a virtual loopback port. ...Meaning: create a port, change the default port using midimapper, then RPGmaker's music can play through a DAW like Reaper, to use anything under the sun to customize your live music like a pro xD Overkill much?

Though... if *someone* were to just record the best rendered MIDI output; and insert it back into the game... Well then you don't have to worry about anything extra xD (Except a larger download.)
Or just go with Microsoft D:

As for upscaling solutions...
There's one called Lossless Scaling for 6.99$ retail on Steam. Pretty handy little program for all sorts of games that don't upscale well. Moreso if you have a good GPU with some of its options. Though I used to use an older version that was less demanding for my previous PC.

And lastly, there's a free powerful upscaler called Magpie:
It can produce some nice results for games with its plentiful customizable options, but probably needs a recent GPU for some things. Or limited FPS.

Sorry for that massive wall xD In any case, maybe it'll be curious to note my findings.
somewhat abrupt : i dont think ill continue using these forums any longer. if you care enough about this, figure out my contact info and ask why. bye.
Don't mention me in political threads, I have other things to focus on. Thanks
kurosurintomasu
kurosurintomasu
honestly the "global politics" thread, while not actually about politics, is kinda just aimless in my eyes
Both the May 15, 2010 and November 13, 2010 Soaprun servers are still up and seems to be still running around the clock. No initialization so far at the time of writing this status, the NPCs are still may be somewhere else because of Soaprunner interaction, and all shade tile drawings still intact. Here's a video showing the most drawing rooms. (Fact: May 15, 2010 map has the most drawing rooms than November 13, 2010 map)

SoaprunDrawings5152010map-1.mp4 Recorded with Roxio MultiCam Capture.

More Soaprun servers with different maps are going to pop up soon because alula reached out to Pixel and got the source code of Soaprun and it's server cgi, now it's on the Soaprun page in the Tribute Site. alula shared even 2 more maps. The new servers with different maps will be available when it's done.

May 30, 2010 and June 19, 2010 are both better than May 15, 2010 because they both have modifications and have more Chase Demons.
oof.

Came back from the dead I guess.
ElecityZer0
ElecityZer0
I don't feel like getting into ALL of the details, but this is the basics of what happened:

In short, I was being transphobic and immature without realizing it, exiled myself from the Cave Story community for a bit, reflected on it since then, and came back to apologize.
kurosurintomasu
kurosurintomasu
ah.

honestly, being forgiven of your words isn't easy, but realizing that what you did was wrong and truly apologizing is the first step towards forgiveness
ElecityZer0
ElecityZer0
I guess so.. It's been sitting on my mind for a while. I didn't know how to address the issue, so I left it alone until I got into a better mental space.
I have some history to share during my playing of the earlier versions of Soaprun back in 2010. I constructed big PNGs of the whole maps of the earlier days. And each time there are some modifications in the updates, I only pasted small room modifications into the PNG.
March 13, 2010
April 10, 2010
April 28, 2010
May 8, 2010
May 15, 2010 (From 0.432? Some prior versions before that... Shared in 0.030 mod)
November 12, 2010 (From 0.432)
November 13, 2010 (From 0.432, Shared in 0.030 mod, most recent)

I also want to share the version 0.010 as well that is still lying around. I'm sure that the contents in the data folder are the same as the one from 0.020. This is the absolute single-room prototype and the Soaprunner can only move once per key press.

Lastly, my hilarious act involving lag, someone with the Shield of Storms and the Chase Demon going over the Safe Zone and purposely dying to flood the spawn point with corpses!
Brayconn
Brayconn
These are awesome! I'm a bit busy making code updates right now, but once I'm done that I plan to add more servers for each known map variation, so these are exactly what I needed/was hoping someone had.
DoubleThink
DoubleThink
More unlost content :orangebell:
Jade
Jade
Soap archeology
javvcke
javvcke
marijuena
kurosurintomasu
kurosurintomasu
cs-%20I%20love%20this%20doctor.png
Jade
Jade
tyrone thumbs up.png
me when I got a free vape cart at my dispensary the other day (seriously that's really nice of them)
Maybe i should not be using forums at the age of 15
Jade
Jade
Dude dw lol we all were. I get how you feel. don't be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone and let people know how you feel about things, just try not to resort to personal attacks okay?
javvcke
javvcke
I feel like that is obvious but alright
javvcke
javvcke
After thinking about it, yeah, i'm out.