Your First Mod

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Share about your first mod.
Mine was basicly the entire first cave being flooded. After that, I decided to flood Mimiga village and surrounding areas. I wanted to so the same for the egg corrider, but I realized that there weren't any water tiles. So I filled it with spikes. When I went to Grasstown, I decided to be creative and use downward wind tiles. I wanted to share this mod, but I couldn't think of a good reason why. Then I called it "Cave Story: 1000 Years Later" (some might remember this). The title was just to make excuses for my maps (FC and MV got flooded by Water way). I abandon it after realizing that I knw nothing about scripting.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think technically my first mod was a King sprite swap (no dialogue change)
and then I edited the mimiga village save point to have some mis-matched enemies and a sign maybe?

then I made King Story and well, shit.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
My first mod I do not consider to be a mod. My SECOND mod, entitled "Simple Doukutsu", consisted of you walking out of the Start Point, falling into the First Cave, walking into the Hermit Gunsmith's, getting the Spur, walking out of the Hermit Gunsmith's into Santa's House, getting the Fireball, walking through his fireplace, landing in the Seal Chamber, grabbing tons of energy for your Fireball, getting 9999 health, fighting Ballos' first form while he is stuck in a shoot-only box around his tgrone, his second form in an open block directly at his eye level, his third form in that block as well, and his fourth form on one of his platforms, and then getting the good ending.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm still working on my first mod; Island of Elements. It has a really good story plot so far.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Tried to remake an RPG Maker game in CS' engine. Didn't even get as far as finishing one room before I scrapped it.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Several months ago, before I joined the forums, I made a graphical modification of mychar.pbm to have a slightly smaller brown haired boy with a blue shirt. That led to several maps, such as a starting area, a corridor, and a small town. From there, I wanted to make the game branch off into several branches, and multiple endings. At that point, I didn't know what to do, and that I didn't solve a bug in the script that kept me from continuing, and abandoned it.

A few days ago, I felt like adding something entirely different; I made a bathroom that the player was required to stop at in order to continue or else he will suffer from "an exploded bladder" and die a "fiery death." I wanted to test myself about how well I knew about flags, and that I had this idea in my head for a while. I have not tested it yet, and probably never will.
I might add more to it, such as having the player become sucked into one of the toilets and transferring him into a Waterway-like sewer
Chances are, it may eventually become a full-blown mini-mod with new tilesets and sprites.

(If anyone's interested) I might upload what I have done so far on the first mod next week, if I clear up some of the bugs.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
A few days ago, I felt like adding something entirely different; I made a bathroom that the player was required to stop at in order to continue or else he will suffer from "an exploded bladder" and die a "fiery death." I wanted to test myself about how well I knew about flags, and that I had this idea in my head for a while. I have not tested it yet, and probably never will.
I might add more to it, such as having the player become sucked into one of the toilets and transferring him into a Waterway-like sewer
Chances are, it may eventually become a full-blown mini-mod with new tilesets and sprites.

(If anyone's interested) I might upload what I have done so far on the first mod next week, if I clear up some of the bugs.
DO IT NOW.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I guess the actual first mod I made kinda was a mod submission for CS+ that was supposed to be worked on by me and Cave Story. But since Take 8 came along we just hopped on the bandwagon. I finished like, 1 room.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:33 AM
Professional Whatever
My first mod was JNR. (Jenka's Nightmare ReViVeD for all you new folk)
I did some tiny modding way back when, but it was just screwing around with modding, and coincidentally, it was with JN.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:53 AM
Professional Whatever
TELL US MOOOOARRRRRRRRR

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:35 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
My first mod was a really shitty hell mod where I made everything super easy by putting platforms above all the spikes in B1, removing all the butes from B2, putting a path through the middle of B3 which protects you from all enemies, making the v-trig that starts the heavy press fight instead trigger the event that takes you out of B3, and giving 500 HP and a save before Ballos. After that, I dived right into TWoR.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:48 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
My first mod was this.

Actually, no it wasn't. My first mod was some changeup of the dungeon layout. Didn't move any doors. Didn't edit any TSC except to add humorous dialogue in some places.

Funny thing - the first time I saw a screenie of a mod was Shmitz's Jenka's Nightmare's Monster X battle. One of the least interesting screenshots of Jenka's Nightmare. I was like, pfft... anyone can add spikes to the map.

But then I actually played the original Jenka's Nightmare and realized the goodness of nontrivial mods.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:33 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Um, my first mod was The Show.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:42 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Noxid said:
I think technically my first mod was a King sprite swap (no dialogue change)
and then I edited the mimiga village save point to have some mis-matched enemies and a sign maybe?

then I made King Story and well, shit.

And there was a way too short demo and then... :(