Would using a life pot be cheating...

May 1, 2006 at 10:15 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I was wondering what you all thought about using the life pot during a minimal items game. Would that be considered taboo orrr...?

The reason I ask is because I had to use it during the doctor fight..Without it I would still be trying to beat the doctor and the Undead Core x_x..

May 1, 2006 at 11:12 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I don't really know what the traditional viewpoint would be, but since you can't avoid getting one life pot (if memory serves me correctly), using it at some point during your run doesn't strike me as being too much different from using the booster. Sure, if you want to be total hardcore you could unequip the booster, but... :)

May 2, 2006 at 12:43 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Why would you need a life pot? Assuming this minimal items run includes not collecting any life capsules, I don't really see any reason to use a life pot when you only have 3 HP.

May 2, 2006 at 1:33 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I believe you can skip the life pot actually. After Jenka gets sucker-punched just keep the last dog and leave, don't bother talking to her.

I believe on this site a "true" miminal items run requires you to not even pick up weapon energy. If you are trying to please everybody (which is impossible) then don't use it. Otherwise just do whatever you want.

May 2, 2006 at 3:53 AM
Slacker
Oh..I had no idea you could skip the life pot entirely..well darn..And not picking up weapon energy!?...that'd make the first part of the game extremely hard..pre-blade anyway...*can't imagine beating a frenzied Toroko with a level 1 polar star and flame...*

I actually used the life pot to avoid dying during the Doctor, beacuse I had purposely gotten hit by the red crystal that floats around, it only does 1 damage, and during the invincibility you can get right on top of the doc and severely wound him with the blade, and on the second doctor battle, he was about to unleash the wave of bats that would've defintally killed me, since my blade was only level 1 at the time.

I've been using the booster too..because it was completely necessary for some parts(Hidden Cave) and I figure I might as well use it.

So now I dunno...I guess I'll re-do this all over some other time, but for now I'm gonna try to beat Hell....*imagines trying to beat hell without getting any weapon energy..*

May 2, 2006 at 9:26 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Chaddykins said:
I had purposely gotten hit by the red crystal that floats around, it only does 1 damage, and during the invincibility you can get right on top of the doc and severely wound him with the blade

Is that really even necessary? Missiles kill him quickly and easily enough (the only problem is it can be hard to tell when he's charging at you in the second form with all the explosions everywhere, but it's still pretty easy to beat him), and even if you use most of them up you'll probably get enough to beat Ballos when you go through Hell. I had 9 missiles left when I entered Hell, and when I got to Heavy Press (and died >_>) I had around 44 missiles. I'm pretty sure that would be enough.

And if you're saving missiles for the Undead Core, they're pretty useless against him because he closes after taking enough damage. Spur shots are better.

May 3, 2006 at 2:01 AM
Myztek
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Is that really even necessary? Missiles kill him quickly and easily enough (the only problem is it can be hard to tell when he's charging at you in the second form with all the explosions everywhere, but it's still pretty easy to beat him), and even if you use most of them up you'll probably get enough to beat Ballos when you go through Hell. I had 9 missiles left when I entered Hell, and when I got to Heavy Press (and died >_>) I had around 44 missiles. I'm pretty sure that would be enough.

And if you're saving missiles for the Undead Core, they're pretty useless against him because he closes after taking enough damage. Spur shots are better.

He doesn't have missiles. He only has Fireballs, Blade, and the Polar Star. It's a limited items run.

May 3, 2006 at 2:11 AM
Slacker
Like Myztek said..I don't have missles so beating Ballos is becomming a huge pain in the word.

I got to the final part of Ballos, and tried to do the eye trick with the blade, but that doesn't work, ended up dying. The only way is to fight it out without the trick..and I'm trying to figure out a good way to even do that...

May 3, 2006 at 3:44 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well I would just like to say that after reading this discussion, you all are HARDCORE to the XTREME! I wouldn't even try to attempt a 3hp run, let alone do it without weapon energy. The mere thought of it and what you would have to do in order to beat hell gives me a headache. ;)

-SkyeWelse

May 3, 2006 at 6:22 PM
Slacker
I'm not really hardcore o_o...I'm actually just really bored >_>

To beat the game without weapon energy wouldn't all that hard really...It would only really be hard before you got the blade, because after I got the blade through the course of not picking up any other items, I used it primarily to take out bosses and kept it at level 1 most of the time anyway...although going through Hell with just a blade would pose some serious problems through a couple parts(2nd room anyone..?)

I'm still trying to beat Ballos with only minimum items...and I don't know how I'm going to be able to do it.

May 3, 2006 at 8:47 PM
"..."
Are you sure you're going to do 0 energy?
Honestly that just seems silly to me.

I've seen a minimal items run for super metroid, they didn't avoid pickups... Like if they use a super missle, they will pick another one up if an enemy drops it. I mean... if you can't get energy.. then shouldn't you be UNABLE to pick up hearts too? For when u take 1 and 2 dmg? Seems like the same type of logic to me.

May 3, 2006 at 9:50 PM
Slacker
I believe I'm going to save that kind of crazy uber boredom stuff for another time...right now my entire focus is on somehow beating Ballos' last form with just the minimal weapons..and I AM leveling them up..I don't feel like dying 300 times right now just to get a shot at doing a room past the second hell section.

I've gotten to his final form 3 times now...(twice before was me testing out the eye trick, and seeing if it was somehow possible..) and I really don't know what I could do to avoid dying...all those evil looking butes are very difficult to dodge while still inflicting the little damage I can against Ballos...

Anyone got some good ideas? >_>

May 3, 2006 at 10:51 PM
"..."
I'll hack my way there and test stuff out. My initial response depends of if you have lvl 3 pstar or not, and if that kills the butes in one hit. I think the safest way to fight is to be on one side of him, jump (and boosting) up and down while spaming nemisis.

Not exactaly sure how effective that will be though.
This sounds like fun, I think I'll hack a game to it.

May 3, 2006 at 11:48 PM
Slacker
I tried that a little while ago..It was working okay, but I have to put so much focus on killing off the butes that endanger me it's hard to get him down quick enough for me not to make some kind of error and die x_X...

Yeah the polar star lv 3 kills the butes in one shot, and the flame is also somewhat effective at killing butes at a lower angle than you can shoot with any other weapon...

I'll try again in a little while probably...I get sickish everytime I get to Ballos' last form from all the anxiety of wanting to beat him and not wanting to screw up and focusing on everything at once..x_x...

May 4, 2006 at 6:27 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, i don't use the Life pot, because I think using the Life Pot is cheating...
Well, I cleared the 3 Bosses with:
Polar Star, Fireball, Machine Gun and Sword.
It was pretty Hard!

Edit:

Delete that Polar Star.

May 4, 2006 at 6:29 PM
Slacker
How'd you have the polar star AND the machine gun..o_O?