Why does my Quote look like a squirrel?

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm new to Cave Story and I got something to wonder.

Does anyone know why is my Quote black?

p162308-0-cavestoryquote.png

Actually, he looks like a squirrel. :cool: At the beginning of the game I expected that it'll turn out he's from a squirrel-like race - really. But then I noticed, all sources depict him as a white human-like boy. And I've never seen any other screenshots on the net where he looks like a brown squirrel as above.

Also, why is there Christmas everywhere? The entire game is full of Christmas trees and decorations and all, even at places where they look odd - for example, why would they decorate a cavern which is only inhabited by wildlife (bats, critters, etc.)?

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Oh my... I suppose they didn't account for first time players during holiday events.
You see Unnamed, a few seasonal graphics changes were made over the years as a bonus to the fans.

If you go to your options menu in the title screen of a windows version of Cave Story+, you can enable or disable the seasonal sprites.
I think he's supposed to be Quote the Red Nosed Reindeer xD Black because he has fur... [I would like to see fan art of a fuzzy Reindeer Quote xD]

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Ugh. It's christmas themed because it's still technically the holiday period (post new-year's). It's for fun. Around halloween time, the entire game changes to a halloween theme as well.

Quote isn't a squirrel, he's a reindeer.

If you don't like it, you can turn it off in the options.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh... you know I was actually disappointed when it turned out he's not a cute squirrel. :p

Are there other seasonal art too? Like for Easter, for example? All Mimigas would turn into Easter bunnies?

But yes, it really tricked me, for I believed I see the original form of the game. Maybe this feature shouldn't be enabled by default, or at least characters shouldn't be altered... I like the idea that the game is different depending on the actual season, but turning the main character to a Christmas squirrel... or reindeer goes too far imho.

Anyway, I'm still not over the final boss fight. :( Now I can defeat Misery and The Doctor, but not the Core possessed by The Doctor. It really hurts that I can't save between the fights.

Oh, and I'm really ashamed of the grammar mistake I made in the topic title - is there a way to correct it?

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Yes. just press Edit post on the thread beginning.

Same thing happened to me when I got CS for dsi. i was like "Dafuq..." but it turned back when January something came around.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:29 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks!

Though even if I disable "Seasonal Art", some decoration still stays. For example, the Doctor still has the box crown at the beginning (though later it turns into the supposedly original crown).

Anyway, I have the Linux version installed from Ubuntu Software Center. I got it with Humble Indie Bundle 7.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
This is truely wonderful to see an actual Linux distro running a copy of Cave Story+.
I've never seen it with my own eyes before.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Just to give you a heads up on the schedule of special things that can happen to Cave Story+.
  • - April 29, Theme song of Ikachan (New [WiiWare] music only) replaces the theme song in the menu (Pixel's Birthday).
  • - October 30? - November 2, Halloween seasonal art is activated, plus the track "Halloween2" (Original music only) replaces the theme song in the menu and in Plantation.
  • - December 24 (Christmas Eve) - January 6 (Epiphany) - Christmas seasonal art is activated.