Why does everyone hate the Snake?

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:38 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'd say that I prefer the Fireball over any other weapon, but that's just me. It's so useful on Hell's B3F (apart from when you need to attack flying butes, that's Curly's job) I can never allow myself to swap it for anything! Oh, and it feels nicer to have 5 weapons than 4. Feels more 100%.

By the way, didn't the talk go that Nicalis would add a new weapon in DMWii? There was some message "-Over 10 weapons", and the original had exactly 10 weapons.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:42 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yal said:
I'd say that I prefer the Fireball over any other weapon, but that's just me. It's so useful on Hell's B3F (apart from when you need to attack flying butes, that's Curly's job) I can never allow myself to swap it for anything! Oh, and it feels nicer to have 5 weapons than 4. Feels more 100%.

By the way, didn't the talk go that Nicalis would add a new weapon in DMWii? There was some message "-Over 10 weapons", and the original had exactly 10 weapons.

I think it was just "oh look OVER 10 weapons!!!1" kind of deal, not really any new stuff at all, truthfully.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:44 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well, I interpreted "over 10 weapons" as "11 weapons" since that's actually the only thing the phrase promises.

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It doesn't do enough damage though as a weapon, the spur. Snake does 8 damage which is pretty substantial. Plus charging it up takes forever depending on the situation.

The snake and spur themselves are rather useless though so long as you have either the nemmy or the blade, but since you have to have at least one I normally get the snake. Plus then it frees up the fireball slot which is normally useless at later points in the game.

This may be a video mainly featuring my remix, but it does show why I prefer the snake over the spur (2 min into the video); It's useful in one spot in the last 3 bosses (and it can make a good alternative to the nemesis, since you don't have to worry about whether or not the enemies big enough to absorb all of the nemmy's damage, since it does 3 hits of 4 damage, and the nemesis only allows 2 shots on screen, which is a bummer).

Oh and it's hard to chain spur shots. It'd be more useful if you could fire another level 2 laser while there was still a level 2 laser in the air, but if you try it simply won't spawn the second laser.

hmm i also forgot that i should take range into account, the spur has a very large range, like the whole screen size practically, while the snake is short, look i think they both have their own merits, and its really up to the persons preference of fighting style

hmm i guess your right about the chaining of lasers, but seriously, whats wrong with having a 70+ dmg laser (3rd lvl) out already and then firing 4dmg bullets out while that's going? i mean while your charging the weapon you could be dodging enemy projectiles while its sometimes hard to fire while facing a enemy, i mean sometimes you only have a second or two to get the spot you need to dmg and thats why the spur can be good. but as i said before, their situational

but i do have to agree the blade while its range is short, the rate of fire you can put out with that is extremely devastating for the dmg it does (close range that is)

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:49 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The Snake is the best weapon in the game and anybody who thinks otherwise is a dummy-pants... who... wears... dumb pants.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:34 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
me=dummy-pants

1 Spur&blade
2 Polar Star
3 Machine gun&fireball
4 Rocket launcher
5 Bubbler
6 Snake&nemesis

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I've got a big iff with the Snake and the Spur, but at the same time love both of the guns.

My problem with the Snake, whereas it was great for picking off enemies though walls (it kicked butt in the Labyrinth ) if you have to fight in an area where "indestructible" objects are in the level/being thrown/make up a boss (Ballos), its wavy fire arc makes it a liability.

My problem with the Spur is that, when you charge the sucker up (finally) to level 3, and you miss, Well you miss, big time. Its a gun that definitely takes a bit of patience to use and a decent amount of timing.

Regardless, I prefer King's Sword and the Nemesis overall due to damage and speed.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dizor said:
My problem with the Snake, whereas it was great for picking off enemies though walls (it kicked butt in the Labyrinth ) if you have to fight in an area where "indestructible" objects are in the level/being thrown/make up a boss (Ballos), its wavy fire arc makes it a liability.

I always thought the wavy arc was one of the benefits of the Snake. If timed correctly, it could be used to attack from strange angles, block 250% (all percentages are made up) more enemy projectiles, and makes it look plain cool.

Anyways, I still personally prefer the Spur due to the lack of a need for leveling up, which is a pain in the Final Cave (Hidden) and Blood-Stained Sanctuary, since it drops to 1 and you take damage constantly. I'm just pointing out that all weapons in the game have their merits. In fact, I'm also a huge fan of the Machine Gun and Nemesis, which is what I used on my first time trumping the Doct-core.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:46 AM
Wonder what combo is best for a hellrun.
Generally, people go with snake, but chaddy said the machine gun was better, and ya hafta go w/ the voice of all wisdom.

So maybe:

Machine Gun
Nemesis
Super Missiles

---

Fireball
Bubbler

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:50 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It depends on your style. You have your toolbox, so use the right tools for the job. Bear in mind this is from somebody who's never beaten it, however.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:55 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
What could Machine Gun do to make it a contender for speedrun weapon of choice?

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:03 AM
Apr 28, 2010 at 2:10 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I don't see how flying at a relatively slow speed compared to the booster is going to help your speedrun time.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:11 AM
"Keep on rollin'!"
Yeh, I know.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:16 AM
Chaddykins said:
In my experiences, Machine Gun is by a large margin the best weapon to get and saves the most time.

The minimal amount of time you'd save in Hell with the snake is easily countered by how much time you can save by flying through various parts with the machine gun.
Of course, this is only the fastest/best cave story player on the forums saying this, so he might be wrong.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:47 AM
"Keep on rollin'!"
You didn't say it would be better for a full playthrough.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
Of course, this is only the fastest/best cave story player on the forums saying this, so he might be wrong.

He's the fastest 3 hp hell runner right?

Whereas the unnamed fastest hell runner of all time (the superplay guy) got like 2'17 something (not with 3hp and min and stuff though). He used the snake. It only makes sense for the hell run though, since you can get some of the deleets faster.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:12 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
thecrown said:
What could Machine Gun do to make it a contender for speedrun weapon of choice?
Because you get it before Omega and Toroko, and can have it powered up for the Labyrinth as well (would be very useful in that first room where you have to go aaallll the way up). The Snake would take too long to power up before it started making a difference (plus it takes a detour), and any good player can out-damage the Spur's output easily (plus it takes a HUGE detour).

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:17 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
DoubleThink said:
The Snake would take too long to power up before it started making a difference (plus it takes a detour).

What detour? You just have to go to the labrynth shop, which is not only on your way but you'll also go there anyways to get the turbo charger for the machine gun. And it takes just a handful of gaudis to level up, which is easy since you'll have the blade at that point. Plus it levels down slower than the machine gun too (right?).

Even without the machine gun you can still get the arms barrier the first time through the labrynth, just a little bit of timing with the shooting critter there and you'll make it.