Why does everyone hate the Snake?

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:06 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
In a serious speedrun neither the Turbocharge or the Arms Barrier would be gotten, since they would cost too much time for items that only make things easier rather than faster. Unless I'm forgetting something and visiting the Labyrinth Shop is mandatory >_>

The Blade is gotten before the Snake, and it would be the main source of non-Missile damage against bosses beyond that point, whereas the Machine Gun has all of the Sand Zone to make a difference while retaining its use as a floating utility post-Blade. The Snake would gain some time back in Hell by triggering some Deleets early, but not more than the ~20 seconds it would take to get it in the first place.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
carrotlord said:
I don't see how flying at a relatively slow speed compared to the booster is going to help your speedrun time.
You fly slowly upwards slowly, but get yourself a decent game controller and you can pilot sideways with ease. Though it is useless in a speedrun since by the time you get it to lvl.3 you don't need it. Hell is practically made for the booster. The auto fire is useless in hell because you need to repeatedly press the fire button for curly's nemesis. I suppose you could hover over Ballos' eyes in the last fight and watch him get hit by the machine gun, but the machine gun wouldn't be strong enough to deal enough damage.

Now, after pointing all of that out, who wants to do a machine gun only run of hell where you are only allowed to use the booster in the first room? ;)

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Now, after pointing all of that out, who wants to do a machine gun only run of hell where you are only allowed to use the booster in the first room?
Excellent mod idea! How about having ONLY the machine gun and nothing else (well, maybe 50HP instead of 3), and having enough XP capsules to level it up to hover in B1F... then move the black wind to the entrance of the second room... BWA HA HA!

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
andwhyisit said:
Now, after pointing all of that out, who wants to do a machine gun only run of hell where you are only allowed to use the booster in the first room? ;)

lol i was totally about to try that until i realized my only save on my computer was my 3hp run with the save just before hell >_>;

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
DoubleThink said:
In a serious speedrun neither the Turbocharge or the Arms Barrier would be gotten, since they would cost too much time for items that only make things easier rather than faster. Unless I'm forgetting something and visiting the Labyrinth Shop is mandatory >_>

eh you can get the arms barrier the first time you go to the labyrinth. You just jump on the purple guy. Unless you're doing 3hp.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Yea but in a speed run you don't have time to make that little detour is what he's saying.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What's the point of a speedrun? Unless you have major rivalry issue, its just more fun to stay alive.

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The same point of doing 3 hp runs or fireball runs or dodge xp crystal runs. People like the game and they want to challenge themselves.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Wrong. Everyone does not hate the snake. I myself happen to love it, even more if I can have the spur along with it. And that's where CaveShark comes in......

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM
sixtyseconds said:
Wrong. Everyone does not hate the snake.[citation needed] I myself happen to love it, even more if I can have the spur along with it. And that's where CaveShark comes in......
Fixed.
Also, Curly is next to useless when she has the Polar Star, so that's a small reason for choosing the Snake or Spur.

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM
Apr 29, 2010 at 1:13 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Snake forever! D:
Fave weapons:
- Snake
- Nemmy
- Bubbles
- Everything else
- MG
- Spur

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:43 AM
Pirate Member
I don't want getting experience to be a priority.

So I'll stick with spur.

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:15 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
While on this subject... doesn't the original weapon sprites feel kinda awkward, compared with the rest of Cave Story's graphics? I've always associated the "Arms" image of the Polar Star with a teapot, for instance.

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM
Pirate Member
Yal said:
While on this subject... doesn't the original weapon sprites feel kinda awkward, compared with the rest of Cave Story's graphics? I've always associated the "Arms" image of the Polar Star with a teapot, for instance.

When I first played cavestory they didn't seem like weapons at all.

Too bad they're made of 8 pixels.

May 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can't decide between Spur and Machine Gun, for favorite. Level 2 sword is fantastic, too.

May 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
I think the snake is cool. It's all a matter of personal preference really...