Why does everyone hate the Snake?

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Looking through a couple of walkthroughs, I saw everyone said the Snake was the worst of the first slot weapons. I know its not as good as the Spur, but I think it can at least be as good as the Machine Gun. Its wicked curvature and cover abilities make it one of the most defensive, at the most strategic, weapon in the game. At least in my opinion. Any thoughts?

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Time said:
Looking through a couple of walkthroughs, I saw everyone said the Snake was the worst of the first slot weapons. I know its not as good as the Spur, but I think it can at least be as good as the Machine Gun. Its wicked curvature and cover abilities make it one of the most defensive, at the most strategic, weapon in the game. At least in my opinion. Any thoughts?

Personally I think it's awesome. The spur's a bit overrated since it's still easily overpowered by the blade or nemesis, and the polar star (well, it's weak). The snake's awesome for boss runs or hell runs, especially for hell runs since you can kill deleets faster.

And now that I think about it, didn't we have a thread like this? Can someone give us a link?

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:30 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I personally prefer the Spur, though it takes some work and practice. However, I just think the Snake gets short shrift strategically. The curve is actually quite formidable when applied correctly.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:30 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Personally I think it's awesome. The spur's a bit overrated since it's still easily overpowered by the blade or nemesis, and the polar star (well, it's weak). The snake's awesome for boss runs or hell runs, especially for hell runs since you can kill deleets faster.

And now that I think about it, didn't we have a thread like this? Can someone give us a link?

I was brought up thinking the spur was the ultimate super awesome gun, so I never learned to use the snake.

Plus you have to switch weapons to shoot star blocks and that's a pain

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:
I was brought up thinking the spur was the ultimate super awesome gun, so I never learned to use the snake.

Plus you have to switch weapons to shoot star blocks and that's a pain

I think the snake might be able to out-damage the spur on a pure damage per second basis though. Spur's main advantage is that you can charge it.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Meh. It still works to have options.

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:10 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
I prefer a weapon thats quick and powerful, the only advantage of the snake is the wall shot thing, other then that i prefer the spur because of the choices i have, quick shots or powerful charged shots, its a very versatile weapon. The snake is quite slow and does minimal damage and if you miss someone in the curves your gonna get a facefull of the enemy about to run into you

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
xristosx said:
I prefer a weapon thats quick and powerful, the only advantage of the snake is the wall shot thing, other then that i prefer the spur because of the choices i have, quick shots or powerful charged shots, its a very versatile weapon. The snake is quite slow and does minimal damage and if you miss someone in the curves your gonna get a facefull of the enemy about to run into you

It doesn't do enough damage though as a weapon, the spur. Snake does 8 damage which is pretty substantial. Plus charging it up takes forever depending on the situation.

The snake and spur themselves are rather useless though so long as you have either the nemmy or the blade, but since you have to have at least one I normally get the snake. Plus then it frees up the fireball slot which is normally useless at later points in the game.

This may be a video mainly featuring my remix, but it does show why I prefer the snake over the spur (2 min into the video); It's useful in one spot in the last 3 bosses (and it can make a good alternative to the nemesis, since you don't have to worry about whether or not the enemies big enough to absorb all of the nemmy's damage, since it does 3 hits of 4 damage, and the nemesis only allows 2 shots on screen, which is a bummer).

Oh and it's hard to chain spur shots. It'd be more useful if you could fire another level 2 laser while there was still a level 2 laser in the air, but if you try it simply won't spawn the second laser.

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:32 AM
Been here way too long...
Out of the three, I think spur is the worst, really.

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:54 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
People like the spur because they enjoy seeing large damage numbers on their screen at one single moment. It's a primal thing, really, even if the snake does do more damage over time.

The machinegun can make you fly. Also fast fire rate for decent damage.

The snake looks cool, and damage is quite good. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the distinct features of the spur and machinegun, so it's really less popular.

Also, you have to give up 2 weapons for the snake, and only 1 for the others. Not really a big deal, but some people don't want to lose their fireball.

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:57 AM
Fireball is the most useless weapon. I have no qualms about giving it up for the Snake, but I always get the Spur when I play for fun, because I want to read the Gunsmith's ramblings and pwn teh bitchez in the First Cave.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:00 AM
Lace liky:
1 - Blade
2 - Machine Gun
3 - Slither Snake
4 - Spur

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:21 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
I've gotten pretty good at taking 15% out of Ballos' form two with the Spur, a well placed shot requires some skill.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:26 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
thecrown said:
I've gotten pretty good at taking 15% out of Ballos' form two with the Spur, a well placed shot requires some skill.

But Ballos' second form is easy, and goes down quickly with the super missiles/blade/nemesis.

Really, those 3 are the best right there. Super missiles for overall damage, but limited ammo. Blade for best damage with unlimited ammo, but low range. And nemmy for unlimited ammo, good range, and good damage.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:30 AM
bubbler's pretty good in non-boss zones.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:33 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
carrotlord said:
The machinegun can make you fly. Also fast fire rate for decent damage.

The Machine Gun seems just fine numerically, but it never seems to be as effective practically. Maybe it's the fact that you have to stand still to deal any reasonable damage, but I always seem to end up with all manner of enemies plowing into me when I try to use it. Something about the Spur and Snake seem to work better because they're quicker and easier to use while moving around. It's fine to just slam down buttons with the Snake, and the Spur's just a lot of dodging until you're ready to rape. They're all good for dealing damage, but I think the Machine Gun has the largest drawbacks.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:42 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Because you can't shoot star blocks with it. Well that is my reason at least.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM
How many times are star blocks actually used in the game?
Not after the labrynth, fo sho. (less'n you backtrack)

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:22 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
@Fire: Yes, the only real advantage to having the Machine gun is to have an infinite booster at level 3, which you don't really need for CS anyways.

@andwhy and lace: Yeah starblocks get less abundant as you progress, plus you can always use the blade or the nemesis to get rid of them if you absolutely must ,even level 3 nemesis works, which surprises me since they're ducks. But they're Ducks of Steel! That's the only way I could explain them doing any damage at all.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:32 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The curve and acceleration of its shots kind of throw me off I guess, even though they don't really affect anything.

I'm a Machine Gun man myself.