Who constructed the Core Room?

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM
inside is yello
"..."
It's pretty obviously not natural, and it doesn't seem like something the core could do itself. Magic is always a possibility, but that kind of stuff never really explicitly crossed with computers and technology in the game. (Though I guess the magic that turned Sue & Itoh into Mimigas was undone through teleporter-thingies.) The robots in the room almost certainly didn't do it, from what I understand they were there to destroy it. Which leads us to find that. . .

It's commonly agreed that the Island floats by itself, but when Ballos was imprisoned, his magic became a 'negative' energy on the Island and caused it to fall, and so Jenka created the Core, which countered Ballos, causing the Island to become neutral again. {And thus, rise again}
We can assume Jenka built the Core, or at least brought it to the Island, because of what the Gaudis say:
Code:
<PRI<MSGHave you ever seen the outside of
this island?<NOD<CLRThis island is floating high in
the skies.<NOD
As to how it manages to float...<NOD
That secret lies within this
maze.<NOD<END
Code:
<PRI<MSGLong, long ago, there lived a
witch on this island.<NOD
She's the one who constructed
this labyrinth, in order to
keep us Gaudis penned up.<NOD<END
The witch they're talking about would obviously be Jenka, who built the Labyrinth to protect the Core, because it's the only thing now keeping the Island afloat.

With that in mind, Jenka seems to be a possibility, but again, magic and technology don't mix much. I would guess the Gaudis did it, as Jenka sent them to the Labyrinth to guard the core, and they don't seem to be trying to hard to do it themselves. Perhaps the mechanisms were made by them to compensate for not actually protecting it in person/cockroach/whatever? We know that they have a shop that deals at least somewhat in that kind of stuff, not to mention Chaba making a gun that travels through walls.

Also, hello to you all once more. I tried to look to see if a thread like this had been made already, please do merge it if there was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think that saying magic and "technology don't mix" is setting some very narrow constraints on you theory thread from the get-go. After all, the Demon Crown and Fuyuhiko are basically the product of this amalgamation.

I'd say Jenka is the one responsible, directly or indirectly. Perhaps it was the blue robots you see around the Labyrinth and in the Egg Corridor?

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Fine, fine, with the magic thing. You can use magic to answer almost any theory though, so it kinda kills the point.

I'm pretty sure that the robots in the labyrinth were just sen't by Misery; I can't see why she would send them to where they already were.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:08 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Ohai Shimmy

I think that the only thing Jenka did is building the Core and taking the island up into the sky, the island may have originally been some kind of mimiga colony or some sorts.

It may be that the original builder are some technology wizard or something, I mean, the room should have been there before the island, and they were still having kingdoms in those days.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:09 AM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think that saying magic and "technology don't mix" is setting some very narrow constraints on you theory thread from the get-go.

I think what Shimmy meant is that there's no mention of any person or group in the island's history that used both high-technology and magic. While it's certainly possible, it would go somewhat against the theme of everything we've seen so far. Tech-savvy people might find magical stuff, but afaik besides that, there's not much mix between the two.

Look at how magic is presented iin CS. Jenka lives in a hut. She makes POTIONS. In JARS.
There are no technomages.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:17 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Headcanon is that there were some peaceful human research centers / operations on the island before the Red Flower War fiasco and they would have discovered the core in its natural state then build a mini-fortress/lab around it to study it.

And I don't care if you say I'm dumb that is how it is will be in my mod.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:25 AM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
That sounds reasonable. I accept.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Headcanon is that there were some peaceful human research centers / operations on the island before the Red Flower War fiasco and they would have discovered the core in its natural state then build a mini-fortress/lab around it to study it.

And I don't care if you say I'm dumb that is how it is will be in my mod.

Dammit man, spoilers. Now I either have to convince myself you are talking about a different mod or use brain bleach.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I wouldn't really consider that a spoiler.. more like prologue-type material, if I were actually inclined to make such a thing.
I have some better spoilers than that.

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
The robots in the room almost certainly didn't do it, from what I understand they were there to destroy it. Which leads us to find that. . .

With that in mind, Jenka seems to be a possibility, but again, magic and technology don't mix much. I would guess the Gaudis did it, as Jenka sent them to the Labyrinth to guard the core, and they don't seem to be trying to hard to do it themselves. Perhaps the mechanisms were made by them to compensate for not actually protecting it in person/cockroach/whatever? We know that they have a shop that deals at least somewhat in that kind of stuff, not to mention Chaba making a gun that travels through walls.
That always did bother me as well, especially now with the 3DS port that makes the place look even more technologically elaborate.
The Gaudis could be responsible, after all (as you noted) one of them is a skilled weapon craftsman. However, present time Gaudis seem more inclined to find a way out of the Labyrinth so they can feast on Mimigas and it's kind of hard to picture their ancestors being that advanced and responsible.

Something I've considered is... we know the Core is capable of movement. Perhaps it was origially not stuck in that room and able to move around the Labyrinth. If so, it could be the robots built the chamber around the core to confine it, in order to reduce its mobility and make it more vulnerable (which obviously didn't really work as they still failed to destroy it).
Or it could be that they had orders to study the core before destroying it and the whole structure was built simply to gather and analyze data concerning the core, with tight security to prevent unauthorized personnel from accidentally upsetting the Core.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
This is a big question, and I've always had a soft spot for the Core Base...

I really don't know. There are a bunch of things to consider...

1) The Core is probably one of the most protected parts of the island. Jenka even created the Labyrinth and brought the Gaudi there to defend it from invaders...
2) Monster X, a machine possessed by a giant cat. What was that machine's purpose? Who made it?
3) The teleporter in the Labyrinth. The common looking computer in Core Base.
4) The waterway, and the house there.
5) The computer in the first part of the Labyrinth.
6) The huge change in look from Core Base to the rooms next to it.
7) The water the Core Base controls.
8) The robots mission. The robots grave in Core Base.
9) Any dialogues that speak of the Core Base.
10) Nurse Hasumi, Doctor Gero...
11) Ghosts and spirits in the Labyrinth?
12) The physical age of the Core Base.

Let me consider the two major theories (imo) :
= Core Base was created by humans or robots recently.
- Core Base developed after the war
- Core Base developed during the war
- Core Base developed before the war

= Core Base was there when or before Jenka made the Labyrinth.
- Core Base created by Jenka
- Core Base created by Unknown
1) The Core is probably one of the most protected parts of the island. Jenka even created the Labyrinth and brought the Gaudi there to defend it from invaders...
Jenka created the Labyrinth as far as we know. Placing the Gaudi there to defend it. So, how would humans or even robots be able to attempt to build a huge structure like the Core Base, which seems connected to the Waterway, which might influence the rest of the island?

It's possible the robots raided and killed the Gaudi to a point where they were able to use machines like Monster X and teleporters to transport great amounts of material and build the Core Base in secret... This would have occured during or after the war.

It's also possible that as in Noxid's mod, they carefully drilled their way there, somehow bypassing any protection such as the labyrinth. However, this too would have been a massive undertaking. Is there any evidence of such drilling and tunnels? If the Waterway could be those tunnels... Then why is the entrance an ancient looking cat head (as seen in Gunsmith's lair...)

It's possible humans were able to somehow reach the Labyrinth and peacefully deal with the Gaudi, allowing them to safely construct the Core Base... However, I get the feeling the Gaudi wouldn't allow such a large project to occur in their midst... Even if they don't remember their purpose, most seem quick to lash out upon intruders.

I still have my doubts about bypassing Jenka's Labyrinth, and building such an unknown sized Core Base at the heart of the island. Of course, if it was during the War, and Misery and Balrog helped out, then the Gaudi would pose no threat.

2) Monster X, a machine possessed by a giant cat. What was that machine's purpose? Who made it?
I am guessing Monster X is possessed by a giant cat spirit... [What better way can you explain the giant disappearing cat D:] As for who made it... if the humans or robots were able to secure the Labyrinth with or without the Gaudi's consent, then I guess that machine could have been used to transport or aid in the Core Base's development in some way.

Alternatively, if such a machine existed in Jenka's time, or if she controlled or made it; it could have helped construct the Labyrinth...
We don't consider technology and Jenka or Ballos. But... it's at least worth questioning. After all, magic could always be unexplainable technology, far beyond our own; rather than an existence seperate from science D: Just a possiblity.

If there was a big chasm there that Monster X crosses (as depicted in some art), why not just build a bridge? Unless the chasm acts as a natural defense to prevent crossing...

3) The teleporter in the Labyrinth. The common looking computer in Core Base.
Is this technology brought by the humans and robots? If so, then we should consider the location of the Labyrinth teleporters. Perhaps, materials from the Labyrinth could have been used for the construction of the Core Base? But, we've never seen anything but people and robots being transported using the teleporters. So, I have to question how much can be transported... If the technology is the new human/robots, then perhaps there could have been a large scale transportation device for transporting equipment? Or, if it was during the War, then Misery could have easily transported large amounts of materials...

As for the computer, if it is a recent machine; then it makes sense that the humans created the base somewhat recently. Before, during or after the war.
However, unsubstantiated; if Pixel merely used the only graphic associated with computers... rather than make a custom look for the computer... then it could be possible that the computer is much older.... A long shot of course, but I can't help but reach for it :p [I've read that in the 3DS version the place looks even more technological?]

4) The waterway, and the house there.
The waterway. Was it created at the same time as the Labyrinth, by Jenka or someone around that time. Or was it created by the humans/robots during recent times through drilling? The strange exit of the Waterway is the same as the Gunsmith's lair. Could there be some connection between Gunsmith and that Waterway Cabin?

Having a house in the waterway lends support to the case that the Waterway could be a recent development... which supports the Core Base as a recent development.

Some questions to wonder about... how does the water flow naturally? Was the Core Base area before it was Core Base, an underwater zone? Or did the drilling end up flooding the area? Intentionally or unintentionally...

However, if the Waterway was created by Jenka or someone else, long ago... Then perhaps it was crafted along with the Labyrinth? (Like a natural defense against digging into that area. You could be flooded!)

Another thing: perhaps while functioning normally, the Waterway, is not so flooded? Only once Core Base's Core was stolen/damaged did the waters flood? So surviving the waterway was a much surer thing. (Sue washed up in Mimiga Village from the Waterway... presumbably somehow from the Plantation's connection?)

If the Lion head grate was an ancient thing, then that might support the Waterway being very old as well... Which might lend support to the Core Base existing long ago... As for the Cabin, there are always alternative routes that we cannot see on the maps; such as how Curly can pass by you, while you fight Monster X...

5) The computer in the first part of the Labyrinth.
An odd thing... The Labyrinth that Jenka made, has a computer controlled door? If the computer and door was created when Jenka (or someone) crafted the Labyrinth; then that supports the Core Base as being much older...
Its use? Perhaps it was originally the entrance to the Labyrinth? There is only the exit now, but perhaps there used to be another door..?

Alternatively, if all of the technology is a recent development... It seems more like a prison. But, why would the control for the prison exist in the same area? It seems like a very strange chamber... Unless it was once filled with water? Or if there once was a way out further up..? Was something kept there perhaps? Too strange...

There is also the repeated comments about the Labyrinth being a junkyard, or place where the islands trash ends up... Could the Labyrinth be more advanced than originally believed? If the floating island was once a magical (or partially technological) kingdom?

6) The huge change in look from Core Base to the rooms next to it.
Having the Core Base being such a drastic change in look from the Labyrinth might support the Core Base as being a recent development. But, then again.. if Core Base existed first, and Jenka's Labyrinth came later...

Still it is strange, for such a sudden change. If it was recent, then wouldn't there be more evidence of paths the creators would have used? The Gaudi nest path seems too overrun... Although there is that teleporter there...
If the Gaudi were held back from interefering with the builders, until something happened.... It might have forced the builders to hide in the Core Base, where they were slaughtered by a surprise attack from the Core...
That would support the recent Core Base theory.

But then again, Misery could have just teleported the Robots in the labyrinth and have the same thing occur. We know at least some cases of this occuring... It's even possible, the teleporters were brought down there thanks to Misery's teleporting...

Well, what about the case where the Core Base was already there... but humans/robots/scientists find that place?

7) The water the Core Base controls.
It would take quite some time to be able to shift the water properly, or maybe have the Core control the water level... Wouldn't it? That might lend support to its prior existence...

Though if the lion head gate was built long ago in order to control the water flow... if they were able to use that; it might not be too difficult to control the water...

8) The robots mission. The robots grave in Core Base.
Depending on the translation...

"The purpose of the mission...
it was the incredible-
slumbering power found on-
this floating island...
And it was also about the-
Demon Crown.
But you and I were different."

Was the incredible slumbering power the Core? Or was it Ballos?
On one hand, Quote and Curly seem to be given additional background on Ballos from a mysterious source. Is it information that only the player reads? Or is it memories or commands surfacing?

If the mission was the Core, as possibly evidenced by all of the robots that ended up in the Core Room dead...
It would make sense. As the information on Ballos only appears after successfully fighting the core...? A secondary objective?

However... Curly also ends up heading to Hell with you. And the information on the mission was from Curly... And the context of the mission includes the Demon Crown which is definitely related to Ballos. So... It could make sense if she was referring to Ballos, although the player might assume otherwise...

On the other hand, Booster and Kazuma were able to find out about the Core, whereas Ballos is never mentioned...
.... Confusing nonetheless...

IF The Core Base was built by humans recently, then undoubtably the target was the Core. However, if the Core Base was not... then perhaps Ballos was the target after all.

As for the robot grave... were a majority of the robots killer robots or peaceful robots...? Hmm...

9) Any dialogues that speak of the Core Base.
Almost nothing speaks about the Base itself, but there is plenty related to the Core and Labyrinth...

"You were thrown down here by the-
witch, Misery, too.
Poor little guy...
The island's junk is stored here.
Once you're in here, you'll never be-
able to get out..."

"Long, long ago, there lived a witch on this island. She's the one who constructed this labyrinth, in order to keep us Gaudis penned up."

"The one who sealed us up in here is a witch named Jenka. ... But it's not because she hates us or anything. We're here in this labyrinth in order to protect something. ..."

"This is the legendary-
Labyrinth.
I don't know who built it,-
but it must be for some kind-
of trash collection."

"You see, this island floats in the sky by the power of a certain organism, and I've recently discovered its location. This labyrinth. The organism lives somewhere within this very labyrinth. If one could destroy it, the island would cease to function. *chuckle* The doctor must really be in a rush, to send you into the very heart of this island."

"Are we still in the Labyrinth?
We can't pass through here.
We're going to have to keep-
moving forward."

"This is a strange place.
Was it some kind of base?"

"Blast door after blast door.
There's something behind all-
this crazy security.
Don't you think so, too?"

IF they could construct that Core Base down there, what would keep it from waking up and destroying them during the construction process?

10) Nurse Hasumi, Doctor Gero...
.......... Hmm...
They used to run a clinic in the Labyrinth. They aren't human... probably. [transformed I mean]
They take care of robots like Curly... and Gaudi as well... ..............................
Their clinic was haunted by a Balrog like Pooh ghost....

Are they from the ten years ago!? Or perhaps some kind of magical creature that has been supporting the Labyrinth for a long, long time? I have no idea...

11) Ghosts and spirits in the Labyrinth?
I blame Doctor Gero... o_o

Okay, perhaps the labyrinth has its share of angry spirits due to being a place where enemies are dumped down there to rot and die. >< Perhaps the enviroment has a stronger connection to the spiritual or something... Whatever the Core is, it might fuel and attract things like that?

Perhaps that might give some insight into Jenka's magic...?

12) The physical age of the Core Base.
The Base looks old. Could ten or so years turn that base to that state? Sounds likely...
Could it be as old as Jenka though? Ancient technology in anime lasts a long time o_o

The real question is the symbol on the walls as seen in Core Base. Find it anywhere else and you might have your answer...

WHEW
Okay final thoughts :
It is likely that the Core Base was a recent development. But some big questions remain...
It must have taken a long time to construct such a base so deep within the island...
How did they keep the Core from going Berserk and killing everyone during its development?

If the computers in the Labyrinth and Core Base are not new, then I might give an ancient Core Base idea merit...

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I always assumed that the core had the power to break land like the ender dragon in Minecraft.

It could have been that the core chamber was created with the island, but that always brings up the question of who built the island.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Maby, the Core mad the island...
the core was stil lies in the ground of earth, and then, badaBOOOOOM it waked up and were jump in the air.
Then it flew in the sky and the hous of Jenka and Ballos was still on the balcony,but then teh wind blow the hous away.
Jenka and Ballos were go in the Island an bekame magikal Power then the other animals (Monster X...)
Jenka went to the Core, to destro it ,but she lost...
on the way to the core she made the labyrint.
later there came monsters (gaudi) and were safe the Core, but they were forrgot everything
and went to the Labyrint to life there...

Later the surface were atake by a few monsters and they were wanting to awange(destroy the Core)
but they lost...
later Quote and Curly Brace came to pick up the other survace but they dosen't found anyone
and go inside...
Quote were atake and Culy too
and then begin the game...
But only a Theory!

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:40 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Aug 29, 2012 at 4:20 AM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It was me!!! Im a secret charicter and I built it!

Fan fiction.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think Jenka.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
"In a review with Daisuke Amaya, the question about Igor's origin was asked. Pixel stated that while Igor claimed that he must protect professor eggs, this professor wasn't the Doctor nor Professor Booster, (and of course not even Dr. Gero) and is never seen in-game. The way the professor and Igor are related is in the way that Igor was a Mimiga who found himself lost. When the professor found him, they grew close; Igor loved and respected the professor. Before meeting Igor, the professor performed tests and cared for the Sky Dragon eggs alone. After time passed, the professor died of old age, and Igor did his best to continue his masters' work in performing tests and caring for the eggs. Later on, Igor ate a Red Flower for an unknown reason, and thus became the monster Quote fights.[1]"
http://cavestory.wikia.com/wiki/Igor

I think that unknown doctor has build it along whit others...

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Very likely it was jenka because the chaba says that she dropped them in the labyrinth to protect something
(the core or some unknown object?)

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This may sound like a previous post, but it's my theory.

Okay, so we know that the Core of the island is an ethereal being. Able to move around and fight for itself, so whats to say the Core didn't create the entire island to protect itself?

The Core is an incredible power that humans would probably want to harness and use, so they started going after it. The Core, sensing the danger, created the island around itself, using the humans society as a basis for it's own chamber after seeing how well it protected their people.

The Mimiga's were the species that existed along with the Core and so when the Core created the island, it brought the Mimiga's with it for extra protection.

Jenka and Ballos were from a kingdom that existed after the island was created and when Ballos went crazy and killed everyone, Jenka used her powers to send Ballos to the floating island and seal him away. However Ballos's magic was still running rampant and threatened to cause the island to crash into the Earth below. The Core sensed this immense power and used its own power to counteract Ballos's. When it counter-acted Ballos's magic it used up an immense amount of power, in order to regain that power the Core went into a stasis type state.

Jenka went to the island at some point to see if her brother had calmed down and could be reasoned with, but when she arrived on the island she immediately sensed the clash of the two great powers of the Core and Ballos. She knew that if the core were to ever be destroyed or taken from the island that the island would fall and so she created the Labyrinth and placed the Gaudi's inside to guard the Labyrinth. She also created Monster X for extra protection. The Gaudi's placed the boulder in the boulder chamber after the robots attacked to ensure no one would ever reach the core again. Doing this left her weak just like the Core, but she was not able to regain her powers like the Core.

The Core could not stop the building of the Labyrinth and this is what caused the robots to be able to reach it. The island that the Core had originally built did not have the Labyrinth, this way nothing could reach the core even if the tried. But when Jenka created the Labyrinth she also created the doorways to the Core however, the Core built the waterway. The Core had originally built it to keep people away from its chamber, having the whole thing being flooded.

When the robots were sent to the island to retrieve the Core, It woke momentarily and wiped out the robot forces with the immense power it had regained from its stasis. Once again, however this left it weak and it returned once again to its stasis.

When Quote and Curly discovered the Core, it had not been in stasis nearly as long as it had when the robots attacked, so it was significantly weaker. Which is why they were able to defeat it so easily.

Although Misery is Jenka's daughter, Jenka told Misery nothing of the Core that lay beyond the Labyrinth. She only told her that the core existed and it was what kept the island floating. Misery believed that by sending Curly and Quote to the Labyrinth that they would be destroyed. When the Core awakened, Misery sensed the great power it had and went to find its source. When she reached the Core Base and discovered the core was here she was immensely surprised and angered that she had sent the robots there.

Now, when the Core was destroyed, Ballos's magic was able to run wild once again. So, the island started to fall, but when he was destroyed it stopped. The reason for this is that, the Core created the island to be able to float on its own. So that if it ever needed to defend itself, it wouldn't have to worry about the island falling and could use all its powers. Ballos's magic counter-acted the islands self sustaining magic and began to fall, when he was killed, the magic was able to keep the island afloat once again and everything went back to normal.

Thank you to anyone who reads this, I know it's a looooong post, but I wanted to get my theory out there.

Thank you again,
SpiritHunterElite