Which your most favorite map/place in Cave Story

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:22 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
As crazy as it may sound, I actually liked Egg Corridor? quite a lot for some reason. The way the map is designed and the tileset is tweaked just so to look battered and destroyed was well done. The sense of despair and hopelessness you feel when you first enter it was masterfully evoked. The metaphorical symbolism in the melody synches with the events so seamlessly.
(Well, I guess that's all.)

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I like Grasstown (although i prefer the nicalis translation anyone who calls it bushlands automatically makes me want to kill them) it had a very nice and cheery atmosphere and i love the music, it fits perfectly with the area. I also love the outer wall, its a part of the game where there's not much going on and it gives you time to reflect on whats happened it creates a steady rythim as you climb up the side. kind of the calm before the storm as they said about balcony. The music, again mixes beautifully with the game-play and, for the record, moonsong is my favorite song in the game.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:19 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Goerge Bobicles said:
I liked yamashit farm for its music, flowers, and the pavilian
I changed my mind, yamashit farm is my favorite
In all seriousness, I had the most fun in true final thing Last Cave. Great music, challenging but feels completely fair, it was just fun.

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Perpetually out of it
Nothing unique or original, but my favorite level still is, and will continuously remain, the Outer Wall.
This level, along with Balcony has the most 'surreal' feel of any of the levels in the game, which really adds to the overall atmosphere
Granted, this map is by no means challenging or blood-pumping, but in the contrast they provide a very calm and reliving interlude right after really an intense, frantic segment, and give the player some time to think over what they've just accomplished, or what they've seen; it's a level that personally made me stop, stand and just take in the beauty of the location, which is something few other maps in Cave Story have even come close to accomplishing.

The second you step out of that door, the whole scene just hits you, all at once. The subtle tragedy but simultaneous beauty and energy of Moonsong really just had me stop there, right at the door, not even moving forward to talk to Kazuma. Almost everything that directly preceded that moment was pretty much downhill for both Quote and the player. Two (or four, depending on which ending you take) pretty major characters have died by that point, and there's been little time for recollection in between the frantic action of the Labyrinth and the unsettling nature of Mimiga Village. Being able to stop, listen, and think about everything that's happened to you at that point brings in so great of an emotional factor that I honestly can't describe, and I'm kinda hoping I'm not the only one that felt it, otherwise this whole post would make me come across as some melodramatic over analyst.
The design of the level, in particular the platforming, can come across as annoying at times, but it's fairly basic and not particularly demanding.
Little changes in physics like the items and certain enemies gravitating toward the wall not only create a minor, but intriguing gameplay change, but help add to the atmosphere and surrealism of the whole place.
Everything just fits. The background, enemies, level design, and aesthetic all compliment each other to create something beautiful, and that's why it's still my favorite after my first playthrough back in '11.

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
It's kind of tough to choose between my favorite areas in Cave Story, though my first one was Labyrinth M. I ended up liking it for quite a few reasons:
1. Upon entering the area, I was pleased to see that Curly moved around with her own AI and tried to kill things alongside me (not to mention being invincible while doing so).
2. The music was great, fitting the place perfectly. I swear, for the longest I thought that was Curly's theme until I learned that it was Running Hell (though can you blame me? In the DSi version the track had Curly on it)
3. While it wasn't hard to fight through here (even though I had taken the Machine Gun instead of leaving it with Curly), it does have moments where you can't just run in guns blazing (aka the Armors and their bulletproof projectiles).
4. To top it off, the final stretch at the end makes for a good place to restock on life and missiles if you had lost any in the previous two corridors.

After that, I'd probably say my next favorite would be the Outer Wall, followed by either Black Space or Seal Chamber.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Been here way too long...
Nadojin said:
Nothing unique or original, but my favorite level still is, and will continuously remain, the Outer Wall.
This level, along with Balcony has the most 'surreal' feel of any of the levels in the game, which really adds to the overall atmosphere
Granted, this map is by no means challenging or blood-pumping, but in the contrast they provide a very calm and reliving interlude right after really an intense, frantic segment, and give the player some time to think over what they've just accomplished, or what they've seen; it's a level that personally made me stop, stand and just take in the beauty of the location, which is something few other maps in Cave Story have even come close to accomplishing.
The second you step out of that door, the whole scene just hits you, all at once. The subtle tragedy but simultaneous beauty and energy of Moonsong really just had me stop there, right at the door, not even moving forward to talk to Kazuma. Almost everything that directly preceded that moment was pretty much downhill for both Quote and the player. Two (or four, depending on which ending you take) pretty major characters have died by that point, and there's been little time for recollection in between the frantic action of the Labyrinth and the unsettling nature of Mimiga Village. Being able to stop, listen, and think about everything that's happened to you at that point brings in so great of an emotional factor that I honestly can't describe, and I'm kinda hoping I'm not the only one that felt it, otherwise this whole post would make me come across as some melodramatic over analyst.
The design of the level, in particular the platforming, can come across as annoying at times, but it's fairly basic and not particularly demanding.
Little changes in physics like the items and certain enemies gravitating toward the wall not only create a minor, but intriguing gameplay change, but help add to the atmosphere and surrealism of the whole place.
Everything just fits. The background, enemies, level design, and aesthetic all compliment each other to create something beautiful, and that's why it's still my favorite after my first playthrough back in '11.
*sniff* That was beautiful...

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:55 AM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
uhh
i guess if i had to choose
i'd choose
um
oh yeah
"start point"
first heal point

man i love those things, yeah

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Quute said:
uhh
i guess if i had to choose
i'd choose
um
oh yeah
"start point"
first heal point

man i love those things, yeah
Good to have guys with a twisted humor here.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
alfasketer said:
Good to have guys with a twisted humor here.
what do you mean

i love heal points

quute x healpoint is the only canon shipping

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Quute said:
what do you mean

i love heal points

Ok maybe not that twisted.[And the offtopic starts again]

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Quute said:
what do you mean

i love heal points

WOOAAAHHH REALLY?
:momo:

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The best place is the Execution Chamber in Grasstown.
Shits cozy as fugg

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
My favorite is probably the Core, and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it yet. I really like the atmosphere, and Geothermal was one of the first OSTs that I would hum all the time, back in second grade. I just really like the whole idea, and the setting almost makes me feel like I'm in some sort of safe haven, which is a nice contrast to the hectic action of the Labyrinth.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:40 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I love the balcony it gives you the ease before the final boss a place to rest and a secret ending the music is my one of my favorites and the lack of enemy's is great exept for the few there are but compared to other levels there are less and you now have more weapons

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I guess I'd have to say that my favorite "area" would have to be the "Sacred Grounds" (AKA "HELL")

The entire level is essentially a test of your skill at Cave Story. To play through it efficiently, you have to use the booster and guns (including your back gun, curly) in such a way that you take as little damage as possible so that you don't get ass-raped by Ballos. Not to mention, the music is a perfect example of "Final Stage" music. It gets you pumped up and ready to face whatever's ahead of you. In most cases, music like this gets annoying to me when I die over and over again in possibly the hardest level of the game. When you respawn for the 1000th time, the music in a final "hard" stage starts to say "Welcome back, BITCH!" In cave story, no matter how many times I die in the sacred grounds, the track "running hell" will always say "Oh? You died again? WELL HERES SOME BADASS MUSIC TO GET YOU PUMPED UP AND READY! LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!!"

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:36 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Favorite map? Well, I would have to go with the water way, or whatever the name is. I like the music, and it is a good tutorial of the way certain things react, even if the tutorial is also the actual level. It's just a good map...

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:38 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
kirbmanboggle said:
I love the balcony it gives you the ease before the final boss a place to rest and a secret ending the music is my one of my favorites and the lack of enemy's is great exept for the few there are but compared to other levels there are less and you now have more weapons
I like the Balcony too. Its atmosphere is a nice mix of calmness, foreboding and resolve. -w-

The little area at the top right with all of the xp crystals, hearts and missiles is pretty nice, too. Makes the Balcony a good place to test weapon edits, as well. :3

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:56 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Last Cave (Hidden) :D
Music, enemies and difficulty are excellent :D

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:42 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Outer Walls for its peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. Sacred Grounds for the opposite reason.

Grasstown is my least favorite because the monster spam is annoying.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I love the balcony! It just gives you that feel that there is about to be a huge fight.

I also like Mimiga village. And after the mimigas are gone, you just know that something is wrong thanks to the atmospheric music.