Which your most favorite map/place in Cave Story

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
So guys I wanted to ask you which your most favorite map/place in Cave Story and why [Based on overall look; level design; music; tone; battle sections; Bosses (if there are any); secrets; lasting appeal and maybe a deep meaning]

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I have to admit I quite like the Balcony for its "calm before the storm" feeling. Also the gauntlet of bosses that follows is quite fun. It's just this moment of peace before all hell breaks loose (no outdated pun intended).

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:07 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Random-storykeeper said:
I have to admit I quite like the Balcony for its "calm before the storm" feeling. Also the gauntlet of bosses that follows is quite fun. It's just this moment of peace before all hell breaks loose (no outdated pun intended).
My favorite has to be Outer wall. After the talk with Kazuma usually I feel like the end is coming and still the way up i found new thing like i'm so close and yet so far from the end. Moonsong really sets a sadder tone on the map and there are 2 secrets which are cool. The Air combat is really refreshing after long time battling in closed spaces. Overall my favorite map.

EDIT:I saw i did stupid map mistake which i don't wanna coment T_T.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ah yes, the Outer Wall is probably one of the nicest maps aesthetically for me. I also enjoy the Waterway, since you only get one moment in there in the entire game. As for secrets, I can't think of any locations off the top of my head that I particularly like. Probably Mr. Little in the Cemetery; I am guessing I never would have found him if I hadn't spoiled the game for myself before playing it.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:35 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hmm, I guess my favorite place would have to be the bedroom in the abandoned Martini Bar in the Sand Zone for pantsu various reasons.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Waterway was really sad for me the first time since "we know who" dies in the normal ending. Water to me represence that life goes on and you have to keep up (talking about normal ending) especially with the moving water part which don't give you a chance to look back.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Mimiga Village. The music sets the tone of it, even after when King and Toroko die. Its one of those places that is hard to forget. It also has probably the most characters in one place. Sue, Kanpachi, Sandaime, Jack, King, Toroko, Sue, Mahin, Mr. Little, Ma Pignon, and the lovable Chinfish.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
First Cave is definitely the best. Easy on the eyes, feels mysterious, fitting music, and sets a good atmosphere. Level design is appropriately rugged with simple enemies.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
I would say First Cave. It perfectly sets the atmosphere for the game, especially the music, it really has a mysterious feel to it. If I keep talking about it it'll sound like I just copied the post above me because this already sounds the same so I'm just going to end this by saying I cannot take anything seriously when it has the phrase "most favorite" in it.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:11 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Definitely the outer wall. The music, layout, and the physics of the dropped items are all awesome to me.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Dark Place. Most simple and atmospheric little map. Super awesome visual design.

p189465-0-kgs3thc.png

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oct 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Hell B2, since everyone loves trying to dogde randomly spawning blocks that follow no pattern.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Dark Place. Most simple and atmospheric little map. Super awesome visual design.
(Image)
There's a lot of tile work that doesn't add to the mechanic side of the game (right-side ledge and bottom 2x2 tile blocks), yet I feel it is beneficial to setting up the mood of the core room, along with its short intro to the shifting water levels featured in there.

Though my favorite would be OuterWall, it's a very common choice so instead I'll mention a different map:

The final Labrynth map (I think I recall it as Labrynth W but that might be wrong).
- Where Curly suddenly joins you in fight, which was never expected since literally all NPC's would just somehow beat you to your destination offscreen. She does do this in Core but this case is way more significant.
- The map contains its own song, which is an oddly happy tune that sets the mood to graciously slaughtering tons of monsters with a pal.
- Contains a bunch of enemy types that are only found in that map alone, with very unique design. It almost doesn't seem like the Labrynth when everything is so new.
- The first map (and really the only if you negate The Core) that uses excessive amounts of water to make you appreciate Curly's AirTank being a thing later on.
- A lot of little things like completing the first two-way teleporter (the other is Plantation/Grasstown) and having a tile lock that doesn't really do anything (since the unlocking terminal is only a few tiles to the left) yet still makes you seem to be going deeper into security.
- Three floors to go down, with each its own mini-theme. Only a few maps have these.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
To give a very general answer, my two favorite places in the game are First Cave and Balcony. They're also my two favorite environment tracks. :3

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Forever 12
My favorite Area in the final version of cave story has to be the waterway, mainly because I enjoy controlling quote in that area.

My other favorite area has to be the wind fortress for its fun gameplay, but that wasn't in the final version of the original cave story.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Based Member
My favorite areas have to be the Plantation, the Last Cave, and the Black Space.

When I first walked into the Plantation I was thinking "Oh wow, if you choose not to leave with Kazuma, then there's still a lot more content, cool." In my first playthrough, the Plantation gave me a sense of uncertainty of whether or not my friends were all okay and whether or not I'd be able to stop the Doctor in time. Having the stakes so high was what really gave the game depth for me.

The Last Cave gives me a sense of finality. This is it. You've been through lots of caves in this game, and this is the last one before you face the Doctor. The visuals, music, and level design really delivered on that atmosphere.

I also really like the Black Space. I love it when you've seemingly defeated the bad guy, only to find that the final act is yet to come. The tiles in the king's table adjusting to give you a path to the Black Space did a really good job of giving me that ominous feeling. Just going through there and walking up to the Core beautifully built up my anticipation for the greatest battle yet. The suspense really spiked when I found out that Sue was still alive and Misery was threatening to hurt her. My favorite moment in the game is probably the cutscene where the Doctor comes up as the red mist, possesses Sue and Misery, and then gets inside of the Core to initiate the battle with the Undead Core.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
If we're going by a Atmospheric standpoint, it'd be somewhere between Waterway and the Balconic, considering the music and the general look of each area - usually they were only used once (Though, the Final Tower that holds the 3 bosses only consists of white blocks and all. Least the Balcony had the actual ground, statues, etc.)

IF we're going by things like Mechanics (Action), I'll say it was Egg Corridor. A great entrance to what Cave Story consists of when you're not involved in the story. Not to mention it was all peppy and such. Even the destroyed version has some fun to be had, especially when you make use of the Booster v2.0 and the Machine Gun.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:03 AM
hi hi
It's kind of funny that nobody likes Grasstown or Sand Zone, even though these maps had some nice design and stuff. But I guess there are far better maps than these two. :D

Anyway, I'll go with Last Cave for several reasons:
1) The music. It's totally awesome, and fits the general "last cave" theme well. You know you're getting to the end.
2) Two levels of difficulty. Either normal, or hidden. Nice touch from Pixel to create some balance.
3) The overall design. That place is pretty tough (especially the hidden version). +20 to respect because of lava.
It's generally one of the best maps. ^^
I also like Outer Wall (because of the special atmosphere there, and the music), Plantation (really vast! and Orangebells are there :p ), Core, and Waterway. Balcony isn't so nice, neither is Grasstown nor Sand Zone. Labyrinth has quite cool music (Labyrinth W FTW), but the map I'd consider the best in that area would be Labyrinth M.