When would Wind Fortress take place?

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:56 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I remember years ago hearing the Wind Fortress level that was added on CS+ was originally a level Pixel intended to put in the game.

I always headcanoned Curly gets kidnapped and put in G-Clone sometime after her Quote and Balrog settle down somewhere. It's actually likely that in the original game it was supposed to be somewhere earlier though right?

Does anyone have any idea when it might have taken place in the story? When would Curly get kidnapped by a weird evil robot cloning machine during CS?

Off the top of my head my guess would be during her drifting away in Waterway you might be able to find her at the WF.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:15 AM
"Huzzah!"
it definitely seems like it would take place after you were separated from curly - given it's set outside the island, your guess is probably the closest to how it fits in the final, released story.
given its tone, though, before it was scrapped, the story might've been different (or it was always just a cool concept that pixel couldn't figure out how to fit in) - and what we got has obviously been reworked to be a challenge, so i imagine it's far removed from the original idea story-wise

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:14 AM
it definitely seems like it would take place after you were separated from curly - given it's set outside the island, your guess is probably the closest to how it fits in the final, released story.
given its tone, though, before it was scrapped, the story might've been different (or it was always just a cool concept that pixel couldn't figure out how to fit in) - and what we got has obviously been reworked to be a challenge, so i imagine it's far removed from the original idea story-wise
What about the tone makes you think it would have been different?

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:34 AM
"Huzzah!"
What about the tone makes you think it would have been different?
i dunno, just something about the laboratory - it feels a lot more in your face horror (the curly clones bursting out of the tubes certainly gave me a shock the first time i got there) compared to the rest of the game, plus the idea of having to cut through a swarm of feral clones of your best buddy well maybe not so much the last part now that i think about it, cave story isn't exactly the most light hearted game

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:41 AM
i dunno, just something about the laboratory - it feels a lot more in your face horror (the curly clones bursting out of the tubes certainly gave me a shock the first time i got there) compared to the rest of the game, plus the idea of having to cut through a swarm of feral clones of your best buddy well maybe not so much the last part now that i think about it, cave story isn't exactly the most light hearted game
Ah I see. I figured you were talking about the way Curly assumes you were having a party while she was sleeping. Funny you were imply the exact opposite thing abt the tone actually.

Yeah idk personally that all seems above board for CS's notorious surprisingly dark tone.

I mean the backstory to the game is basically a genocide for the purpose of getting power for some country on the surface. Not to mention the torture that kicked of the creation of that power, among other things.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:57 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I have a really hard time believing the entire thing was actually made prior as opposed to just being a scrapped idea never implemented, but there are a few things that indicate where I believe it could have been located:

It replaced the Cthulhu in the corner of plantation.

The Booster 2.0 being a required item points towards it being a best ending adjacent area after Quote returns to the village, which also conveniently is after Curly goes missing through the Main Artery. A friend mentioned that the health matches up to what you would have in plantation/last cave anyways, and since all the best ending stuff was a late addition to the game (Ma Pignon's map and boss npc are grouped with hell's stuff) it's possible Cthulhu's mushroom quest was a replacement for this implementation of "rescuing Curly". It also difficulty-wise fits well with the hidden last cave and sanctuary. That's my educated guess anyways.

Mar 19, 2021 at 1:35 AM
"Huzzah!"
I noticed those things too, I was kind of confused as to why they didn't just give us 50 HP.
Though, I never really considered it being in the plantation. It makes a lot more sense no doubt, the plantation is close to the balcony, but because they used the same tiles as Grasstown I always thought it was in Grasstown. I never stopped to really think about where everything was located.

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:55 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I once had an idea for a mod that I never ended up making, and part of the plan was to include Wind Fortress. It was going to involve discovering a tunnel in Santa's house, which led to the Wind-Fortress like area. Since the first part is Grasstown-like, I thought some secret passage through Grasstown seemed believable.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:11 AM
I have a really hard time believing the entire thing was actually made prior as opposed to just being a scrapped idea never implemented, but there are a few things that indicate where I believe it could have been located:

It replaced the Cthulhu in the corner of plantation.

The Booster 2.0 being a required item points towards it being a best ending adjacent area after Quote returns to the village, which also conveniently is after Curly goes missing through the Main Artery. A friend mentioned that the health matches up to what you would have in plantation/last cave anyways, and since all the best ending stuff was a late addition to the game (Ma Pignon's map and boss npc are grouped with hell's stuff) it's possible Cthulhu's mushroom quest was a replacement for this implementation of "rescuing Curly". It also difficulty-wise fits well with the hidden last cave and sanctuary. That's my educated guess anyways.
That's a lot of well thought out deduction on this you've done!

Well that tears it for me. I definitely belive this was the initial idea unless we hear otherwise some day.

Too bad they couldn't just fit it into plantation when they added it in re-releases (specially so you could use any weapon you want) but this does make me like the level more.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:12 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, It could be acsessed in the plantation most likely because Cave Story 3D had an extra area like wind fortress that was at the bottom of the island. It would make sense for this to be what pixel could of done. Other than that All I know is that it has to be in the plantation and not anywhere else.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:25 PM
War criminal
Well, It could be acsessed in the plantation most likely because Cave Story 3D had an extra area like wind fortress that was at the bottom of the island. It would make sense for this to be what pixel could of done. Other than that All I know is that it has to be in the plantation and not anywhere else.
Ehhhhh, maybe the resting area wouldn't be a good idea to place the Wind Fortress entrance. It's a bit too hidden for something that could've been a main part of the story.

Man, if only the Living Waterway could be accessed twice. Since the Main Artery had a divergence to Mimiga Village and the Plantation, how nice would it be if the Main Artery washed Curly up to the Wind Fortress instead, which could line up with the rescue mission Enlight mentioned.

Then again, the amount of travel you'd have to do, unless you can bother to do a 2-in-1 mission to rescue Curly while fetching the Whimsical Star.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:41 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Wasn't the whimsical star pretty pointless?

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:47 PM
War criminal
Only if you don't have the Spur. I mean, you can still activate it with any level 3 weapon, but it's easier to replenish it with the Spur. Besides, it can be very helpful on whittling down boss health (especially on larger bosses, like the Undead Core, the Heavy Press, or Ballos).

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:24 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My guess is that it could be from the Plantation like the "Inner Wall" on CS3D seeing that there's a small block you can hide behind and also seeing the challenge start with 41 HP and having the spur and booster v2.0 already but that's just a guess anyway