When and Why did they wake up?

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:39 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
How long after the Doctor puts on his Crown does Quote wake up and why?
And why/when for Curly as well.

I always thought they woke up when the crown was active again. This is considering their programed mission being to destroy the crown. When the crown was last destroyed they went off line and now that it's back their awake.

But its never clearly sated when and why Curly and Quote woke up. (Or why and how they lost their memory)

So!
Lets work on some theories as to when and why Quote and Curly wake.

In this comic I going on I had Quote, Curly, Balrog and Misery all wake up as the Doctor puts on his Demon Crown. Like he puts it on and there are four flashes of all the characters opening their eyes, suddenly waking up!

Quote flashes last and it stays on him. He is awake... but lost his memory. I have him get up and wander this big cave for 2-3 weeks until he runs into Hermit Gunsmith and gets his Polar Star.

I like this cause it gives substance to why he wakes up. If he randomly wakes up 3-4 weeks after the crown is put on ... it's kind of weird.

Also, I am just guessing 3-4 weeks pass after Doctor puts on his crown.

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:52 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
In my "prequel", Quote + Curly are damaged to the point where it takes years for their systems to repair the damages done to their system (in the "prequel"), and to re-write their brains from the normal "kill 'em all" programming from the Surface (because weren't they the same as the other robots, just a little different?)
So I think it's happy coincidence.

Nov 18, 2006 at 11:48 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh well, in my Cave Story "5" it will be because a Block falls on them and there is a huge system crash in their heads, a earthquake starts and both will be seperated from the earthquake. The system needs long to reboot (Battery low no just joking lol), because its huge damaged and it needs to format everything it cant boot with damaged data, but the data gets not lost, its just with a computer: Old data will be overwrited with new one... That Process needs long because they are High Technology Robots.

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:47 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Cave Story "5" ?

Cave Story Prequel ?

Give me more information on those two.

Also those two theories are funny. What are the chances of they wakening up weeks after the Doctor comes into power. My friend Josh had an idea of the repair idea. Having him wake up to a diagnostic that says "Repair Completed" I think its silly.

There has got to be a better reason and so far having him wake up by the crown makes the most sense. Remember, the other robots shut down when their mission was over, it could be said that the same happen to Quote.

Nov 18, 2006 at 1:34 PM
Hoxtilicious
f-ram.net said:
Cave Story "5" ?

Cave Story Prequel ?

Give me more information on those two.

Also those two theories are funny. What are the chances of they wakening up weeks after the Doctor comes into power. My friend Josh had an idea of the repair idea. Having him wake up to a diagnostic that says "Repair Completed" I think its silly.

There has got to be a better reason and so far having him wake up by the crown makes the most sense. Remember, the other robots shut down when their mission was over, it could be said that the same happen to Quote.

Yeah, it could ;P

Cave Story 5 is a projekt of me.
I'am currently working on Cave Story 3.
Read this Thread for more Information.

Nov 18, 2006 at 8:54 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well since Pixel himself said that he leaves everything that's unsaid in Cave Story to the player's imagination, there's really endless possibilities for what could've caused them to "wake up".

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:21 PM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
f-ram.net said:
Cave Story Prequel ?

I thought the other robots were all killed and stuff.
anyway, Cave Story Legacy is the "prequel" that I'm "working" "on".
Chock-full of medriocrity. I'm almost to the first boss, yay for me
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/
those screens are old becuase that's toward the middle of the game now. oh well

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:23 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I don't think the crown waking them up is that plausible; within a few minutes of awakening, Quote arrives at the Mimiga village, which has already been thoroughly devastated by the Doctor and his minions, implying that the Doctor had gained control of the Crown much, much earlier. (The chat scene with Kazuma, as well as the fact that Sue has already been transformed, escaped to the Mimiga village, and befriended Toroko also suggest that quite a bit of time has passed since the Doctor began to act.) I think it's also implied that Curly awoke well before Quote did, as she had been raising the Korons for quite a while already.

Nov 18, 2006 at 11:23 PM
g_3: thats why i figure that those "few minutes" in game time were a real long ass time. or... um.. the game doest start with him waking up
maybe hes been awake for awhile?

or he just randomly woke up weeks after the Doctor came into power... which is pretty cheese.

Nov 19, 2006 at 12:22 AM
"..."
I don't see what's so bad about him waking up randomly - many people have been labeled as a hero because they were at the right place at the right time doing the right thing.

Nov 19, 2006 at 12:28 AM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
I don't see what's so bad about him waking up randomly - many people have been labeled as a hero because they were at the right place at the right time doing the right thing.

Oh yeah, Random is good but there must be a reason why he did was "sleeping" :p

Nov 19, 2006 at 12:44 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Well for Quote it may have been random, but I though Curly had been awake for a long time before that. She'd been raising the four Korons after all, kind of hard to do that in just a few weeks :p

And the 'shutting down because their task was complete' doesn't quite work imho. Remember that Curly said they weren't actually able to defeat the previous owner of the crown; they only wounded him, and someone else (who we don't know) finished him off. And if they did shut down, then there'd be no reason they wouldn't do it again after they beat the Doctor; but they don't, they go and blow up Ballos and then live happily ever after (still fully functioning as well). So Quote waking up when he did probably was just a cheesy coicidence enabling him to save the world :D Yay cliche!

Nov 19, 2006 at 1:20 AM
yah i guess it is simple cliche
you're all right. especially DoubleThink. You got it on the nose.

It will be cliche but I'll make it work in the comic.

I don't know if the whole 'have him finish repairing' will be a good idea. I think it adds to the cliche.

What I got set up is that the Hermit Gunsmith walks by him. Like the hermit was just walking around his cave trying to take a different rout and passes by Quote without noticing him but Quote senses the gun and wakes up.

I don't know.

We'll see what happens.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:56 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Yeah, I'll try to explain this in my mod as well ;)
One good question for determining how long Curly has been up is... How fast do Mimigas age?

Also is it coicidence that Curly and Jenka and the kids live close by? Curly remembers the past till wounding the previous crown owner~ Then she asks Quote; which of course cannot answer lol
I hope to answer all of these...!
And I definitely wouldn't say random to either Curly or Quote; although that's what it appears to them... Meaning might as well go along those lines unless you're writing comics about the past :o

Oh and finally the gunsmith :p My favorite ole topic... lol there's obviously something going on there; A human? gunsmith just Happens to be close to where Quote wakes up, in the middle of a floating island, in a nigh impossible to reach place normally :o
Have fun explaining these questions :o I know I will [eventually!];)

edit: And I don't think the gunsmith came on the expedition with the scientists from the mystery and isolation surrounding him...

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:09 AM
"..."
If you're going to explain the Gunsmith, you're probably going to want to back up and explain the old guys wearing Cthulhu costumes first. ;)

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:42 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Osmose said:
If you're going to explain the Gunsmith, you're probably going to want to back up and explain the old guys wearing Cthulhu costumes first. :p
Without looking up evidence :p ... I'm thinking they came from before the last 10 year invasion... I'll have to think about this hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I mean Cthulhu is a demon right? The last owner of the crown was human [10 years ago]; but before that the other two owners looked like demons...! [although maybe not Cthulhu? I don't know much about him :p]

I'm remembering a conversation with one of the Cthulhu guys that notices you're a robot from the invasion; I believe his attitude could support that he could have been around a lot longer than the 10 years...

We know that 10 years ago robots invaded and a human got a hold of the crown; I don't get the impression that those guys would have been with the invasion, which is probably when most of the humans came... [wonder what happened to them?]

I'd imagine the technological stuff on the island wasn't built by Mimigas, and probably not all by robots, since most rely on humans; and from the lack of humans in Cave Story I would say it wasn't too recent. So from hints like that I'd say humans were on the island before the invasion for a currently unknown period of time; and I imagine the Crown wasn't known for a long time until around the invasion.

But, there's Cthulhu's abode... It's in the middle of the Egg Corridor; that could suggest they were part of the 10 year humans; or that he just found that place and settled in lol And who blew up the Egg Corridor? Did the Doctor and Misery create those clouds of death that blow up? Or did Sue or Kazuma mess up when pushing buttons, causing most of the eggs to hatch; causing terrible havoc in the corridor? I can picture Kazuma going .... Hmmm... that's not supposed to happen...

Going out on a limb I'd think the humans that don the costume of Cthulhu are either really old and don't age, or they are recent.., and I could imagine they could have known about the Demon crown... and if old perhaps they have ties to the earlier demon owners~ Perhaps when that owner was alive their costumes gave them the ability to tap into the crown's power? As sorcerers...

Then again... what if they are humans that were transformed? They could have been from the invasion... or once again from longer ago;

So basically I haven't spent much time thinking about those guys yet ;) lol thanks for reminding about them
Each piece of the puzzle helps me paint a better picture in the long run ;)

And in the final product of course, I need to balance what I do explain with what is not; as Pixel did that very well :p

So I'll think about this when I get a chance ~!
I don't feel like I have a decent answer yet ;P :)

EDIT: A New piece of information I remembered...
Knowing that Quote and Curly had a large impact [if not completely saving the day] 10 years ago; If those Cthulhu guys were involved in the events from back then, don't you think they'd have recognized either Curly or Quote? They seemed pretty amiable, although they noticed they were robots right off... mmmmmmmm

Also the places you see Cthulhu and friends are Grasstown, Egg Corridor, and Plantation...

I'm leaning towards mystery rather than being part of the 10 year ago war...

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:09 AM
"..."
Cthulhu is basically a giant monster-god. He has a scaly, green body and an octopus for a head, huge wings, and is the size of a city, or larger. The general description of him is that he's too awesome to describe. Even his name is just an approximation: Its true pronunciation is impossible for humans to say.

Anywho, from what we see of the Cthulhu, I'd say they are part of the original inhabitants of the island - Jenka and Misery survived Ballos' wraith, I'm sure a few other people did too and stayed on the island.

In fact, this helps to explain what else is on the island - Jenka could have very well taken the old castle and ruins of the kingdom that Ballos destroyed and lifted them up into the sky with the power of the Core. That could explain the extra stuff on top of the island.